Your question
Solved

Random Shut Downs

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 16, 2010 11:11:39 PM

I am experiencing random shut downs. They look like a complete power loss. I have to cycle the psu switch off and then on before I can power up the PC.

I have tried everything I can come up with but: Formatting and swapping out parts.

So my specific question is this, is there a program that will test the Power supply under load?

Would it be useful to buy a continuous battery backup deal?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Other than that, if you are willing, please read on and make suggestions, I will keep this as short as possible.

Initially, the random shut downs were only in game, and during valve games. Now I have experienced three of them while at the desktop and doing nothing intensive.

My system is as follows:
GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3. // OCZ Fatal1ty 550W // AthlonII X3 440 3.0GHz. // POWERCOLOR Radeon HD5770. // Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR3 1600. // SAMSUNG Spinpoint-F3 500GB 7200RPM // Win7 Home64.

All are running at stock speeds. My GPU stays below 65 C. My CPU stays below 52 C. I have good airflow through the case.
I have cleaned the crap out of the case, there is NO dust at all.

When the crashes occur, there is no obvious loss of power to any other device in the house. No flickering lights etc. Also, I live in a newer house, under 10 years old, so presumably wiring would not be an issue.

I checked the Event Viewer and All I could find were:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

"The previous system shutdown at 5:43:01 PM on ‎12/‎8/‎2010 was unexpected."

I have also done the following:

-Scanned the entire system with Windows security essentials and Malawarebytes.

-Defragged the HDD.

-Ran check disk twice.

-Verified that the start-up processes are legitimate.

-Disabled Windows Defender.

-Uninstalled all antivirus programs.

-Verified the Files in my Steam directory.

-Updated the GPU Driver.

-Updated the chipset and onboard audio drivers.

-Verified that my router has the latest firmware.

-Verified that windows is up to date.

-Verified windows system files.

-Ran MemTest86 as well as Windows Memtest.

I have found NO problems!!!!

Please please please help if you can!!!! :o 

Unless someone can help me, my next step is to format and reinstall everything. Then buy a continuous power supply battery backup deal, is this a useful idea? Then buy a new PSU. Then Buy new Ram. Then take it to a PC shop. What do you all think?

More about : random shut downs

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2010 12:15:57 AM

OCCT will test your PSU for you. Might be a heat buildup issue in the case. try removing the side panel and see if it does the same thing.
December 17, 2010 5:21:56 PM

Thanks, I will check that out.

Anything else you suggest that I do?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2010 6:51:23 PM

Well, the only other thing I can see is that your video card requires a minimum of 450 W power supply and your CPU runs at 95 W so you're probably at the very limit - and slightly over - during increased usage like the HDD spinning up while the memory it sucking up some juice, at what your PSU can provide. Not to mention if you have extra case fans or memory fans and the cpu cooling fan. It might be a simple matter of replacing your PSU with something bigger, 650 or 750. So if the PSU passes the stress test it doesn't mean you have enough power to run everything. You have a good brand to you can stick with the name, just don't go getting a Kingwig or something you don't hear a lot about. And check for the minimum >80% efficiency rating.
m
l
December 17, 2010 8:41:26 PM

I'd be a little surprised if you were hitting max W on your PSU. Your CPU and GPU would have to be running full tilt. Still, I suppose it's possible. You could grab a Kill-A-Watt to measure what's being pulled from the wall. Amazon or NewEgg usually has between $15-$20. The "cheap" unit, I believe the 4400, would be fine.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=kill-a-watt&psj=1&wrapid...

Have you updated your BIOS?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2010 10:52:48 PM

Since everyone needs a spare PS, that's where I'd start.....
m
l
December 18, 2010 12:53:20 AM

Thanks for the replies!!

Sutek: I dl OCCT and ran all the tests. The "CPU: OCCT," the "CPU: Linpack," and the "GPU: OCCT" all passed without errors.
The "Power supply" test, which looks like it is just a combo of all of the other tests, shut down my pc twice.
I was logging the temps during the test, and at the time of the crash, the CPU was 42 c and the GPU was 65 c. Also, the Event Viewer shows nothing interesting.

ekoostik: I did not update the bios. I have Version F2. The Gigabyte site has 2 updated versions, however, one is a Beta.
For the version which is not a beta, the description is:
Quote:
"1. Update AGESA 3.6.6.0 for AMD 6core CPU
2. Support GIGABYTE On/Off Charge"

So I didn't want to flash the Bios for just these two updates. Do you think updated could still be useful?

Also, thanks for the advice on the Kill-a-watt. I was wondering if there was an easy way to check the outlet/wiring. (I will check the outlet before I get a new PSU)

So, before I purchase a new PSU, would it be worth my effort to format first??
Is the failure during the ''Power supply" test and no failure during the other tests pretty clear evidence pointing toward the PSU?
(According to Power supply calculators I only need a 402W.)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 1:28:31 AM

Opt for a 650 watt this time....; always better to have 200 watts to spare, so that when the PS is 2 yrs old, you are still not above 80% rated capacity....

I'd not bother with flashing the BIOS yet....
m
l
December 18, 2010 2:22:02 AM

Me, I'd go the opposite route. It could be the PSU. But I consider it less trouble to update BIOS and/or reformat (depending on what you've already installed) then to buy a new PSU. So it's your pick.

If you update BIOS, do NOT use the windows based @BIOS. Be sure to use their BIOS utility called QFlash. Usually by the time Gigabyte posts Betas they're fairly well tested. They just haven't gotten all the things in it they want to call it final. When I built my rig around the 1156 socket I went through 6-8 beta BIOS flashes and never had a problem. As a Gigabyte owner, you may want to spend sometime in this forum too: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/

Lot of knowledgable people there with a specific passion for Gigabyte. There's one thread with tons of information about latest BIOS updates, Betas and usually "pre-Betas". It's mostly centered on Intel but they help with AMD where they can to: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-lat...

And the QFlash BIOS flashing guide is a good place to start: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27576-bios-flashin...

Have you tried running your computer in safe mode? If it's a driver causing the shutdowns, your PC should remain stable in safe mode.

What I find oddest about your problem is that your rig shutdowns when you're doing nothing intensive, but it passes Linpack, but it shuts-off in the PSU test. Have you made any BIOS changes?

You could be experiencing a short somewhere. By any chance did you use paper washers when installing the motherboard into the offset screws? What peripherals do you have plugged in? List all USB devices please.
m
l
December 18, 2010 3:28:09 AM

Mdd: Good idea on the aging and having a nice cushion with the PSU. I hadn't considered that when I purchased everything.

Ekoostik: Thank you for all of the info on Bios and the links. Those forums look like they packed with info!

I have not tried running in safe mode. To my understanding I would be unable to run a game in safe-mode as only the minimal drivers would be loaded, is this correct?
The crashes in games can occur within 5 minutes to 1.5 hours, which is somewhat predictable, however, the three crashes at the desktop are in no way predictable. Also I have had the pc running all day today, and yesterday, without a single crash while idling at desktop...

I have made a few bios changes, however, the crashes occur with the optimized defaults loaded and no changes made.
Currently, I have my 1600 ram running at 1333 because this is how the optimized defaults have it set. So I wanted to leave it at the lower speed so that the ''overclock'' to the stock speed could be ruled out as the cause.
The other changes I have made are as follows.
I have enabled: USB mouse control. CPU warning Temp. Cpu and System Fan failure warning. And set a Password.
I have disabled: the floppy(I don’t have one.) Amd cool and quite. Legacy usb storage detect. I disabled the legacy usb storage detect after reading some info about gigabyte boards in this forum a while back.

I have a MX 518 Mouse(USB) and a Logitech 350 keyboard (USB).
These are the only two peripherals as I leave my external HDD, webcam and printer disconnected unless I am specifically using them.

I did use the paper/cardboard washers that came with the Mobo. The mobo is attached to the case is with a spacer, screw and the paper washer. The paper washer is in contact with the face of the board, preventing the head of the screw from touching the board. The metal spacer does contact the back of the board. Also, this may be interesting, The case I have (NZXT BETA EVO) is an ATX case, however, not all of the screw holes lined up, so I was unable to use two of the screws that came with the Mobo.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 2:10:16 PM

I'd not update the BIOS just for newer cpu support, for a cpu which you don't have anyway.....

If your system shuts off or locks up during the BIOS flash, you would be, well... hosed....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 4:46:24 PM

No, I wouldn't worry about the BIOS flash at this time. I do believe it's your power supply. It doesn't have to be underpowered or happening because you have a big power stress on it. It will fail because of a bad rail or weakening internal part or connection. During the psu test it runs all the different parts like that so it can test all individual parts, rails connections, internal and external wiring being sound and stuff checking all components. Plus, if your calculator says 402 W and your psu is >80% eff then you only get ~80% of the 100% rated ability. Anything over the 80% mark, (& that's roughly, not an exact number), your psu doesn't run at peak performance and can cause failures in small or large quantities. Again though, if it has a failing component you don't have to be anywhere near peak load for a failure to occur. You can always go to a best buy , or whatever you have in your area and get a new, brand name psu and try that. If it doesn't help you can usually take it back or give it away as a Christmas gift.
Oh, and as a side note - I run the psu test on a couple of my systems and it doesn't shut me down. Maybe if some of the other posters here would download it and try it also, (or have already) and see if it shuts down their systems that are running fine. That might give you an idea about your psu's condition as a confirmation it's the psu. Then you wouldn't have to buy one to try it.
m
l
December 19, 2010 11:20:09 PM

Thank you all for the info and advice.

Much appreciated. I will buy a new psu and post my results here :) 
m
l
December 21, 2010 5:27:01 PM

Take out the paper washers. Some Gigabyte boards have extra souldering around the case screw holes which are intended for grounding. You could also try breadboarding.

Has the new PSU stopped the problem?
m
l
January 4, 2011 9:05:19 PM

Best answer selected by davisflow.
m
l
January 4, 2011 9:05:27 PM

Howdy, so after the holidays, I have found the time to work on this, I replaced the PSU, and so far no shutdowns!!!
I have about 5 hours of game-play and so far so good.

Thanks for the advice on the paper washers, I will remove them just to be on the safe-side.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2011 12:51:58 AM

Thanks for the vote and I'm glad you got it running steady. Nothing worse that shutting off during game play! :fou: 
m
l
January 12, 2011 12:16:05 PM

davisflow said:
Howdy, so after the holidays, I have found the time to work on this, I replaced the PSU, and so far no shutdowns!!!
I have about 5 hours of game-play and so far so good.

Thanks for the advice on the paper washers, I will remove them just to be on the safe-side.

What PSU you get to replace the OCZ 550 ?
m
l
!