Sign in with
Your question

Microsoft heads “To the Cloud!” to destroy Windows 8 piracy

Last response: in Business Computing
August 18, 2011 5:13:13 PM
August 22, 2011 9:25:37 PM

Highly doubt it, or they'll have a specific "non cloud" version. The DoD is one of MS's biggest customers, and most of our client systems don't run on a network that is connected to the internet. This means MS activation doesn't work, ever.
August 23, 2011 4:56:07 AM

I think your observation with regard to a 'non cloud' version seems much more plausible to me. I mean whoever is going to 'pirate' windows in DoD any way ;) 
Related resources
August 27, 2011 4:59:17 AM

Although I agree with your initial response palladin, it got me to thinking... couldn't they require you to implement the exact same feature but have it point to a local server? We already do this for monitoring software we run so that employees can't scrub out certain configurations. If they attempt to make the changes they are removed on boot.
August 28, 2011 1:20:05 AM

roagie said:
Although I agree with your initial response palladin, it got me to thinking... couldn't they require you to implement the exact same feature but have it point to a local server? We already do this for monitoring software we run so that employees can't scrub out certain configurations. If they attempt to make the changes they are removed on boot.

Nope they can't because then people would just make a "local server" and thus render the whole idea useless. Pretty much anything purchased by the DoD must be self inclusive, no outside communication required. Heck we're using DVD's to port over MS Update's.
!