Sign in with
Your question

Windowes file explorer messed up

Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2009 4:30:55 AM

My windowed file explorer messed up, sometimes when ever I modify a file (create, copy, rename, ect) it will freeze for a few minuets then start working again.

I am using a 64 bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise.

Any ideas
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2010 5:33:05 PM

Do you have a virus scanner running that scans any file when it's accessed? Depending on how you have it set up, it might be scanning the file once it's been modified to determine if it's been infected with a virus.

Try turning off your virus scanner temporarily to test and see if the problem still exists. If it doesn't, then that's your issue. Depending on your virus scanner, you might have various settings you can fiddle with to help try to alleviate it.

January 6, 2010 2:53:30 AM

No I didn't even have one installed tell I had this problem. I thought it might have been a virus or something so I installed the free AVG scanner.

It hasn't crashed in a wile, but i have been so busy with other stuff i haven't had the time to do anything really productive on the computer. Hopefully a update or something fixed it.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2010 11:18:24 AM

Catsrules said:
No I didn't even have one installed tell I had this problem. I thought it might have been a virus or something so I installed the free AVG scanner.

It hasn't crashed in a wile, but i have been so busy with other stuff i haven't had the time to do anything really productive on the computer. Hopefully a update or something fixed it.

Have you looked at your network settings? I see that you're running Windows 7 Enterprise. Do you have file shares attached that may or may not be current available? I know that at my work, even under XP if I have a LOT of attached file shares, it takes a while because it's trying to refresh especially if a lot of those shares are "dead" (not available). Even though they are not necessarily alive, Windows for some reason will still try to access them and get updates. So, if you have any network shares mapped, unmap them and see if that fixes it.

Also, have you tried disconnecting from the network and trying that to see if this could be the problem? If that fixes it, then you definitely have a network issue somewhere.

If that doesn't fix it, try to see what happens when you access a file. Do the following:

*Open a command prompt then use the netstat -an command. You will see the list of machines you have connections to.

*Then go to Explorer and open a file.

*Run netstat -an again while waiting for the file to open and look for new entries.

*The IP address that is on the left is the local machine's address while the IP address on the right is the machine, which it is trying to connect to. You must copy this IP address without the port number and then search for it with regedit.

This can at least point you to where Windows thinks the file is at. Otherwise, I'm stumped.
January 8, 2010 4:06:56 AM

That might be the problem, I was transferring some music and renaming them editing album and artist extra in between 3 computers (2Win 7 pro 1 XP pro). And that is when it started acting up.

I will try some of your ideas for testing, when i get a spare moment

Thanks
!