Can a power supply cause problems

JC918

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I am looking for some input I am having some issues with my custom built pc.

COMPUTER SPECS

I7 920
Corsair Liquid cooler
60 gig solid state drive
1tb drive
dvd re write
blu ray read and write lg drive
Ati 5830 graphic card
750 watt Rosewill power supply 80 + Certified
10 gigs of Mushkin Enhanced Black Line 7-7-7-20 1.5-1.6V 998677b
Motherboard MSI x58m

***FIRST ISSUE ****
I updated my BIOs today and my system boots up fine and seems to be running fine. I download this new program from MSI OverCLocking Center" As soon as the program loads BAM " I blue screen. Same thing with other programs that try and read the mother board but everything else works fine internet surfing , watching movies in windows 7 etc .

****SECOND ISSUE********

My system has 6 gigs of tipple channel ram installed with NO issues other then the above that just started. I decided to upgrade my ram and ordered the SAME RAM
I tested ALL the stick with memtest one stick came back bad leaving me with 10 gigs instead of 12 gigs. I am waiting for a replacement stick

So far I have left the voltage setting on default then I had a crash. Went in and increased the voltage to 1.60 and the qpi to 1.27 . My system seem to be stable programs stopped crashing for at least a day . Then I went in to load something and bam I blue screened. Went into the bios and increased the qpi to 1.32 same problems. I HAVE NOW PULLED THE RAM O and I am back at 6gigs and put the settings back to where they where when my system was stable without BSOD

****FINAL ******

I would like some input on this PLEASE. I am lost all the sticks I have installed came back with no errors and are the same. Maybe someone could help me with this and my recent crashes.

Could my power supply be the reasons for my blue screen issues its a Rosewill green series 80plus certified 750watt psu ?

I haven't heard to many good things about Rosewill. My rig powers up fine and seems to run good for the most part. Blue Screen issues just started happening a few weeks ago after I tried to upgrade the ram

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
OK, I am not an expert, but I don't think your power supply is causing this. I would try to start from zero, just clear your mb cmos so that you will have your hardware reset, boot the system normally, if possible with 6 gigs, uninstall this MSI overclocking software. Sometimes overclocking software are painful apps that causes your system to crash, it's better to manage your OC from BIOS.

Once you receive your replacement sticks,(make sure the new ones are the same) install them and let them run with default timings, same as the others. test your system, if it's stable then set up your oc again from bios.

What cpu clock setting do you want to achieve? Make sure that your RAM settings are properly set on your bios, otherwise it will keep crashing.

I hope it helps.

I would say your problems have nothing to do with the psu.
They are memory related.
Also manufacturer overclocking software is crap usually.
I use Gigabyte boards and everytime i loaded Easy Tuner on them i was met with a crash or bsod.
When i set-up manually in the bios = stable and no problems
I'm no expert on X58 boards i've never used one but i do know they all take the ram differently.
Some are picky about the dimms used after 3 dimms are filled and reject more ram unless it's another 3 modules.

JC918

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

How do I CLEAR the CMOS ? I am more of a software tech then hardware and I am still learning.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

It seems to be a software issue due to the file name shown in the bsod (rushtop64.sys), but just to let you know:

to clear cmos, you have to turn off the pc.

Unplug the power cord from the pc.

On the motherboard,(you have to open the case), there should be a battery,like the flat ones, take it out for 20 secs.

If it has a jumper attached to pins,(prob says cmos on it), 3 pins and the jumper attached to 2nd-3rd pins, then take it out attach it to the pins 1st-2nd for 5 secs, then put it back on the pins 2-3.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/space143/2010-02-04_021006_4006272R_18.jpg

Put the battery back on.

Plug the power cord.

That should reset your bios and hardware settings completely.

if your running the ram @ more than 1333 then you can only use 3 sticks at most in my experience, as x58 motherboards will switch to 1 stick per channel mode if you go faster than 1333 this can cause instability
so try clocking all the ram down to 1066 and see if the problem goes away if its ok after a day or 2, then bump it to 1333 or as close as without going over and test again.
then if you can go 1600+ then try it and i pretty much guarantee the problem will come back.