Sign in with
Your question

Windows Failed To Start - SATA Failure???

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2010 6:50:47 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a old Pentium D-based computer with a ECS 945P-A motherboard. It has always been very reliable, but it has recently started to give me some trouble.

Last month, it suddenly stopped booting, and would give me a black "Windows failed to start" screen seconds after the Windows 7 boot flag animation appeared. Trying to use the "Repair my computer" option from the hard drive resulted in an immediate reboot, or a frozen screen if I tried to run it from a CD. I tried to pull my data off using a Linux CD, but every distro I tried, from Puppy to Mint, would freeze after transferring a few megabytes from the hard drive. I didn't have any super-critical data on it, so I grabbed the most essential documents and re-imaged it. After updating Windows, everything seemed just fine.

Fast forward one month. It suddenly started giving me the same "failed to start" error. Same symptoms, same everything. I moved the hard drive to a different SATA socket, and that seemed to fix it. Few days later, same problem. This time I couldn't resuscitate it. The hard drive is only 80gb, but it's not that old, and this seems like a really weird failure mode. So what do you guys/girls think? Is the mobo at the end of its life? Am I looking at a SATA controller failure? Or something far more insidious? :D 
December 17, 2010 2:46:25 PM

It might be your mother board check your capacitors for leaks or bulges at the tops.
m
l
December 17, 2010 3:22:40 PM

christop said:
It might be your mother board check your capacitors for leaks or bulges at the tops.

None that I can see. The motherboard has only been in use 2 years.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 12:49:15 AM

borrowing/buying another hard drive would certainly be the cheapest and by far the easiest option....if it doesn't help, you still now have another drive you can use later.....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 12:50:23 AM

MIght also try dropping down to one mem stick, testing each alternately for differing results.
m
l
December 18, 2010 1:09:25 AM

According to Memtest, the memory is OK. The drive also seems to check out...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 1:19:04 AM

Do you have any other computers with SATA ports you can test the drive in for several days?

If the drive is failing, it should certainly manifest itself there eventually too.....
m
l
December 18, 2010 1:59:06 AM

mdd1963 said:
Do you have any other computers with SATA ports you can test the drive in for several days?

If the drive is failing, it should certainly manifest itself there eventually too.....

I'll test that out tonight and report back... are you thinking that the hard drive is more likely to fail than the SATA on the mobo?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 12:48:24 PM

When i troubleshoot things, I like to rule out the simplest fixes first; is always possible it's the motherboard, but, we won't know that until we've ruled out the drive.....

5 min drive swap/reinstall/point and click, vs., entire mb swap....

I'd choose the drive everyday...initially... :) 
m
l
!