Top mounted case fan "chimney" cover?

Mordecai Walfish

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Hello,

I recently built a new computer with the Centurion 5 II case which has a top mounted fan. I am using this fan currently and am worried about liquid or debris getting into the case from the top with the mesh/fan there, especially when it's off & dust too will have an easy time finding it's way inside there..

I've been searching for some sort of "chimney cover" for the top fan port that will still give it room to blow out but help protect the internals of this machine that I spent alot of time building.

Also wanted to note that the top fan grill has mounts for both 120mm & 140mm fans but I'm currently using a 120mm fan so the 140mm mounting holes are free, it would be ideal to have the cover just snap into place in the 140mm mount holes.. I have to believe that such a device exists, it just seems to make too much sense.

Anyone have any links or information for a such a device?

Thank You!

Solution
I wonder what would happen if you spilled Vodka in there...
would the computer wake a day later wondering why
it had a tattoo sticker of a Apple Imac on it?

Mordecai Walfish

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

Alas I'm in a pretty cramped space and there is not room for a table that my computer can sit under... I could fabricate a table just big enough to go over it with 4 2x4's for legs and a piece of plywood on top (or similar materials), but I would just as soon rather find a chimney type fitting for the case if such a thing exists.

Thank you for your reply though!

Lol! i was referring to putting the case off the floor and on the table not under a table.
Works for me and i'm Mr.Spillypants.
I knocked over half a Rockstar into my top 200mm fan in my case while it was on.
Did that within the 1st month of building it while it was sitting beside my desk on the floor and it lived.
Have another case with two 140mm top exhaust.
You have a case with one 120mm top exhaust.
I wouldn't worry about it that much.
I'll bet it can't drink half a full Rockstar like my 200mm BigBoy likes lol!

try to get a just metal grill from 140mm fan with right mounting holes
then use material from cheap ($5 USD) furnace filter (usually blue material if color matters)
those filters are designed for maximum particle (dust smoke mites etc)absorption with
good CFM airflow
make it reasonable thick (should be able to make a few from one filter)
unless the liquid spill is really heavy the material should absorb most
if you act quickly to clean up
cut it nice with x-acto knife to fit cleanly
with a nick 140mm grill screwed over the top with some spacers and blue filter trimmed neatly
it should look nice
and filter can be cheaply replaced as needed
just a thought

And you got a 30 percent extra OC for about 4 hours and then the computer crashed and went to
sleep LOL :)

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Get a 140mm fan filter, replace the filter with something suitable, cardboard, piece cut from milk carton. aluminum foil glued to removable portion.
Mount above fan with stand offs and long screws and nylock nuts. Thread spools come to mind. Label portion of one shot liquor bottles, plumbing fittings, whatever.
Not enough, use one filter assembly with screen over fan, one solid on stand offs above.
Ummm, simpler get a piece of six inch stove pipe (with the grooved assembly seam down the length). Use about three feet of i/4 inch hose split lengthwise (get enough to practise) to keep edges from scratching case, instant case cover. Could use fans as "hold ups" on top of case or even power up both pulling, for distraction. Contact paper would "color" pipe.