Best video card for mini-ATX form factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to help someone out and I don't have any experience with mini-ATX motherboards. What are the latest/best video cards that will fit in a smaller case on a mini-ATX motherboard? Is it a standard selection, or do you actually have to measure things out and see what fits?

jaguarmatt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
You'll need to do some measuring lol.

We need to know how many spaces the card can fill, if it needs to be a small form factor card, or just a regular sized one.

Do you need a PCI-E card?
Are you into gaming, video editing, folding?

How much room do you have between the 2 ends of your case where the card would be between?

Take your time getting your specs, just ask if you need help.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

It is me hes been trying to help.
I can answer a few of your questions right now. I'm a gamer, not a folder ;p my chassi is a mini one, its its around ~ x400mm vertical ~ x180mm horizontal and ~ x390mm across (I dont know the right word for this in english :S) its called Depth maybe? I Dunno, i hope you understand. The rest of you'r question i didn't understand cus it aint my language lol :p

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Think i'll go for the new build then m8 since i will be able to build even more when the money allows it lol. As for now i have a budget around ~591-636$. I mean, my computer basically sux and im getting quite frustrated over it tbh...
As for now i have a budget around ~591-636$. What is worth upgrading first you think?

What did you mean with (he seems to lack the ability to tell, not his fault but it is an issue)? :p

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Aha i see :)
Well, i don't know if i need to watch any install-your-motherboard-videos just yet since im still unsure if i need another motherboard... :p
And paste? lol wut?

I will be reading your links tho!

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Oh yes lol >.< nvm that!
The Corsair 400CX 400W that was included in that build, its only 400w, yes? A GTX460 doesn't it require a bit more watt?

1) Is it a micro-ATX, or a mini-itx ? A mini-itx motherboard is limited to just one pci-e slot.
2) What is the case?
3) What is the psu?

The reason for asking is that the size of the case will limit how long(and strong) the graphics card can be.
The actual case may determine if a dual slot card is possible.
The psu will determine how strong a graphics card can be supported.

Lian li sells several cases of both types. Looking at their spec page you can see a diagram of how it is laid out, and the maximum length of card. Since their cases use standard atx psu's, the power required is not an issue.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Hmm okay i see, thanks! So is it necessary to have the Akasa, or can you manage with just fans?
I've bumped into a slight problem here, looking at the build you gave me at bit-tech.net, they suggest the 1GB GeForce GTX 460. Well, i can find many, many of those... which one is it? xD
And the price tag on that build ~660$, i can discard the storage unit, no need. I have 4GB of RAM alrdy so take it that isn't REALLY necessary? And then again, maybe i can discard the Akasa for now aswell if it isn't needed.

I mean the Akasa seams like a really good thing to have, but maybe if it isn't necessary i can just wait to to get it and get it later, can i just manage with the fans the case includes?
Hope you understood lol

and reading what u said once again i understood it as they use the Akasa as a fan and a heatsink, yea? (which i dont know what that is)

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

W T F?! A new copy of win7?! Why? :S
I currently use a not genuine copy of it, cant i just install it like i did on this computer? lol. How do I check which type of RAM i have, so i can figure out if its DDR2 or DDR3?

I've decided i will build a whole new computer and within time build furthermore on it, but for now what i think is best to upgrade with the money i have right now is...

New Cassi: http://www.inet.se/artikel/6901305/cooler-master-haf-912-plus

New Motherboard: I dont know anything about motherboards so tips will be much apreciated! <3 (I did take note on your AMD x3 tho, which one of 'em tho, the AMD x3 445 or AMD x3 450?)

New PSU: http://www.inet.se/artikel/6909565/ocz-modxstream-pro-600w

New GPU (Graphic Card, yes?): Any GTX460-470 (Probably a 460 since i want an upgrade asap!!) What is best of an upgrade for the money? A GTX 460 768mb, GTX460 1GB, GTX460 1GB OC?

Nothing else pops into my mind atm...

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

W T F?! A new copy of win7?! Why? :S
I currently use a not genuine copy of it, cant i just install it like i did on this computer? lol. How do I check which type of RAM i have, so i can figure out if its DDR2 or DDR3?

Which AMD x3 did you mean? The AMD x3 445 or the AMD x3 450?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've decided i will build a whole new computer. So what i think is best to upgrade with the money i have in hand right now is;

New Cassi: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus

New Motherboard: I dont know anything about motherboards so tips will be much appreciated!

New PSU: Corsair VX 550W 80+, is this a good PSU to support my new GPU?

New GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 768MB GDDR5 / PCI-E 2.0 / SLI / 2xDVI, definatly !!

Do i need a new processor for this kind of setup, or is it manageable with my Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core 2.20GHz? Please God, tell me no!! :ange:
I have now done a price runner check through following components: Chassi, PSU, GPU, CPU (which motherboard to use is yet no decided, but it will be be under 150$) All together it sums up to about ~670$, probably too much then everything actually costs, but i chose to over price it just to be on the sure side, so prices are not exact).

*please take note that this is not going to be a complete build, I will still upgrade...*

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Hmm guys, im coming to a decision soon. But i still need a Motherboard that can support my GTX460 SOC, and my DDR2-RAM. Could you please look and see if you find any within ~77-111$?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

There is two types of the Athlon II x3, either the 445 or the 450 one. I will NOT upgrade my CPU for now, that will have to wait, so put aside for now. The AM2+ mobo, can i only use DDR2 type RAM or can i put in DDR3-RAM as well if i decide to upgrade to DDR3?

We can spend max 148$ on a new mobo, gimme the best you can find that supports preferably DDR2 AND DDR3. And if not both, just DDR2 for now. I might trash it l8er on and get a DDR3.

Cheers, thanks!

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Meaning of getting a new mobo is because i cant fit a GTX460+ into mine because i think mine is a mini mobo. And yes, i do want to reuse my RAM.

But i am very inpatient in this specific matter, so how big of a loss is it to get a normal sized AM2+ mobo?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Sorry if i'm slow, but its much info to process for me at once :p
So conclusion: I have a mini-ATX? How do we know this? So my current mobo will fit the GTX460, its no point upgrading to another mobo atm. Instead i will then go for another CPU.

Thanks for being patient with me ^^ :D

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Okay, so I've called Packard Bell (the manufacturer of my PC) and asked them to look up which mobo i had. It was a Packard Bell BENGAL (Meaning it is Packard bells own motherboard). Just thought it could come in handy to know.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Question!
My EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 768MB GDDR5 / PCI-E 2.0 / SLI / 2xDVI does fit into my current mobo you said. But does my mobo fit into this case? Cooler Master Storm Scout GamingCase

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Ok thank you so much! Great to hear :) So things are closing up now, i finally starting to get an idea of which components i should get!

atm it looks something like this

Graphic: eVGA GTX460 768mb SoC
Chassi: Cooler Master Storm Scout GamingCase/Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus (I've read that the HAF series is bad cus of much vibration and no included dust filters, is this true?)
PSU: Corsair VX 550W 80+ (probably the one i will go for!)/OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
CPU: Should i use remaining money to upgrade my CPU, or should i save it and upgrade to something even better? Remember, i dont wanna go all in and get some monster xD

Now we have around 148-222$ left either to spend or to save. What do shall I do?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Hmm ok. I guess its just best to get a new GPU and case then. Wait until i have more money then upgrade CPU, motherboard and RAM all together. Does this sound like a good plan?
It says in www.inet.se that the Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus is a ATX & mATX - Cooler Master Storm Scout GamingCase is only ATX. Does this actually means my mobo can fit into the Storm Scout?

*edit* I found a video review on the Storm Scout Case, and he said it wcould fit both ATX and mATX. lol im getting confused as hell :p

Status
Not open for further replies.