NUK Trap Question

Does the NUK Trap still work with the latest host version?

Just wondered if anyone knew before running a few sims.

--

Regards,
Merlyn

Why should it not?
The ship with the highest ID fights last and when you get the fuel from
the planet your poor victim loses some ships (assuming that you play the
privs or maybe x-tals)

Cheers
Michael

"Michael Horak" <horak.michael@aon.nospam.at> wrote in message
> Why should it not?

[snipped]

Because it quit working between two versions a while back if I remember
correctly :)

--

Regards,
Merlyn

stefan

In article <ce5ss3$f08@dispatch.concentric.net>,
Merlyn@spammersremovethistobeblocked.thelastdomain.com says...
> "Michael Horak" <horak.michael@aon.nospam.at> wrote in message
> > Why should it not?
>
> [snipped]
>
> Because it quit working between two versions a while back if I remember
> correctly :)

The NUK Trap as it was published for Host 3.26 or so no longer works.
Tim considered it a bug and fixed it.

Nevertheless a Priv/Xtal can take advantage of getting a few ships in
orbit of a planet he controls or orbits.

--
Cheers!

Stefan

P.S: Please remove the _'s from my mail address if you want to contact
me.

"Stefan" <karl_das_tier@gmx.de> wrote in message
> In article <ce5ss3$f08@dispatch.concentric.net>,
> Merlyn@spammersremovethistobeblocked.thelastdomain.com says...
> > "Michael Horak" <horak.michael@aon.nospam.at> wrote in message
> > > Why should it not?
> >
> > [snipped]
> >
> > Because it quit working between two versions a while back if I remember
> > correctly :)
>
> The NUK Trap as it was published for Host 3.26 or so no longer works.
> Tim considered it a bug and fixed it.
>
> Nevertheless a Priv/Xtal can take advantage of getting a few ships in
> orbit of a planet he controls or orbits.
>

> --
> Cheers!
>
> Stefan
>
> P.S: Please remove the _'s from my mail address if you want to contact
> me.

So what part of the NUK attack does not work anymore Stefan?

I would like to stop an attack tonight by a loki accompanied by a war ship.

As you already know I am the privies :)

Will planets set on NUK not attack fuelless ships?

--

Regards,
Merlyn

> Because it quit working between two versions a while back if I remember
> correctly :)

hehe, that happens when you start playing again after some years. Good
to know BEFORE I play the privs again.

> > Because it quit working between two versions a while back if I remember
> > correctly :)
>
> hehe, that happens when you start playing again after some years. Good
> to know BEFORE I play the privs again.
>
> Michael

Yes, the NUK trap will not work. I will be writing some new tactics in Ed's
VGA Planets Newsletter this month.

--

Regards,
Merlyn

> So what part of the NUK attack does not work anymore Stefan?
>
> I would like to stop an attack tonight by a loki accompanied by a war ship.
>
> As you already know I am the privies :)
>
> Will planets set on NUK not attack fuelless ships?

wasn't that the planetary defense was removed, when a planet is taken
over in combat?

kannix

"kannix" <kannix@datevnet.de> wrote in message

> > So what part of the NUK attack does not work anymore Stefan?
> >
> > I would like to stop an attack tonight by a loki accompanied by a war
ship.

> > As you already know I am the privies :)
> >
> > Will planets set on NUK not attack fuelless ships?
> >

> wasn't that the planetary defense was removed, when a planet is taken
> over in combat?

No, after the planet is taken in battle the friendly code gets randomized
that way it does not stay on NUK and that keeps the trap from working.

--

Regards,
Merlyn

Merlyn wrote:

>Does the NUK Trap still work with the latest host version?
>Just wondered if anyone knew before running a few sims.
Like mentioned the original NUK trap doesn't work because when the first
ship attacks and takes over the planet, it's defence posts are killed, and
after that the planet won't attack because it has no defence posts.

As for the randomization of the planet FC after it's taken over, I know it
used to be so, but I thought the feature was removed. I'll make a test
about it sometime with latest host version.

However there is a NUK "trick" left which can be used in offence: Copy
paste from <http://www.akseli.net/~akseli7/vgap/tactics.html#nuktrap>

Let's assume your enemy likes to use NUK on their planets, and you are
playing Orions. You can nicely send a ships to a planet with NUK, arriving
fuelless. Your ships won't be attacked by any ships in orbit, but the
planet will attack, and you will take over the planet. The enemy ships
won't get the planet back, because after the planet has been taken over by
your ships, it still has NUK but no defence posts, and thus the NUK code
won't effect. Then next turn you can rob the enemy ships blind. Of course,
you'd have to trust your enemy quite a lot to keep the NUK code every turn,
or you would lose your ships for nothing if he changes it to ATT, for
example. Which is why I haven't tried this tactic. And I don't really like
such illogical tactic either. Though I once saw Orions to kill Gorn HW in
early game and I'm pretty sure he used this trick to bypass defending
ships.

Op 2004-07-30, Akseli Mäki schreef <newsgroups@spam.akseli.net>:
> Let's assume your enemy likes to use NUK on their planets, and you are
> playing Orions. You can nicely send a ships to a planet with NUK, arriving
> fuelless. Your ships won't be attacked by any ships in orbit, but the
> planet will attack, and you will take over the planet. The enemy ships
> won't get the planet back, because after the planet has been taken over by
> your ships, it still has NUK but no defence posts, and thus the NUK code
> won't effect. Then next turn you can rob the enemy ships blind.

But those ships will still attack the planet this turn when they have
PE=Orion or mission Kill - or have some other PE and set `enemies add
5' in the new phost 4.0h. Right?

--
Maurits van Rees | planets.maurits@xs4all.nl
http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [Dutch/Nederlands]