New builder, just trying to fire it up for the 1st time

Megazord

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hey, first time builder here.

What happens is the following: I hit the reset cmos button, turn the computer on (through either the front panel, or onboard mobo button – both have the same results), it stays on for a second, and switches off straight away (processor heatsink , case, psu, and gpu fans all work). I can do this precisely once before I have to turn the power supply off to power it back up again – repeatedly hitting either power button does nothing more after it goes on once, and shuts off again. If I turn the psu back on I can do it again if that’s relevant to anything. It does not post.

Things I've tried:
Psu – mounted upside down (heard fan shouldn’t be put face down, makes sense to me), did paper clip test (powers all case fans just fine) to made sure it wasn’t D.O.A, tried alternate power cord to make sure it wasn’t that. Capacity/load problem?

Cpu/heatsink – fan on heatsink turns on when mobo is powered up for a sec. Reseated the heatsink 3 different ways, reseated the processor once.

Hdd – tried 2 different hdds, 1 of which I know works.

Mobo – all leds turn on for a second, then off when powered on via front panel power button, and/or onboard power button. The blue standby ram led, and yellow power led stay on as long as the psu is.

Case fans – put the 4 pin connection in both on the yellow side, and red one since my mobo only has 3 pin fan connections (heard this is fine – you just have no fan control). Tried unplugging 1/both and nothing changed when turned on.

Gpu – fan turns on, reseated it once.

Optical drive – tried to leave unplugged from sata psu cord, and sata mobo cable.

Other suspicions:
Simply not plugging something in right?
Maybe something wrong /w the Cmos battery?

Specs:

i7 950
x58 SLI3 (EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 (F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL, DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24-2N, 1.5V)
Hyper 212 + (Aftermarket, RR-B10-212P-G1)
Gigabyte super overclocked GTX 470 (GV-N470SO-13I)
Corsair TX 750 (CMPSU-750TX)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 hdd
Antec Twelve Hundred case

I followed http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
To the best of my ability to help myself but still no dice.

I may update this with pictures tomorrow if necessary, bed for now.

Thanks to anyone who helps!

Solution
Do you have another computer you can test the PSU in? I would do that to confirm that it is not a power problem. If you followed the guide and powered up the system with only the cpu and hsf installed (no memory, gpu, optical etc) and nothing beeped, I would suggest a bad mobo. RMA time.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Do you have another computer you can test the PSU in? I would do that to confirm that it is not a power problem. If you followed the guide and powered up the system with only the cpu and hsf installed (no memory, gpu, optical etc) and nothing beeped, I would suggest a bad mobo. RMA time.

Solution