goosegas

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I recently made the huge mistake of buying a Cyberpower Computer with an Xtremegear 600W Power Supply. (2 mistakes actually)

I guess I read one too few threads before choosing the components for this build.

After 2 months, my monitor has begun to dim and my Aerocool 2000 Fan Control, Temp Sensor unit is considerably dimmer than 2 months ago.

I followed the advise of just about everybody and ordered a Corsair 750TX PSU.

I already knew I was going to find quite a wiring bundle on the new PSU, by reading and looking at the Newegg photos. What I didn't expect was what I found when I opened the wiring side of the Coolermaster HAF 912 case.

I guess this should not have been a big surprise to me as the build has a DVD Drive, Card Reader & the Aerocool unit taking up 4 bays in the front of the unit. Between the fan control wires, the temp sensors and the power cables, you wouldn't believe what it looks like.

I took a deep breath and said "I just need to follow the wires from the power supply and label them as I disconnect them. I quickly found out that this was going to be a task and a half.

The peripheral cables on the existing power supply were plugged into other peripheral cables, which then branched off to either a component or split to two two wire plugs, which I can't even see where they are going.

Even the Geforce GTX 460 GPU is confusing. The old power supply has two 6 hole plugs, but one of the plugs is a dummy, so there are only 5 wires per plug. The Corsair has the two 6 plug holes, with 6 wires in each.

I still didn't want to give up, so I said maybe I can just disconnect at the very first connection for each bundle coming out of the old PSU and just connect the new PSU to those points, forgetting about where all these other branch offs go to. I quickly noticed that each individual wire coming out of the Corsair was almost twice as thick as those coming out of the XtremeGear. To me, I think the only way to do this properly would be to go from the PSU to the component, not using all these thin wired connections and branch offs.

Even the AC cord to the Corsair is considerably heavier than the XtremeGear.

If I didn't already take a beating from Cyberpower, I might just take it somewhere and pay to have it installed.

Cyberpower refused to do anything but send me another XtremeGear PSU, even though they must be aware of the poor quality, especially if they read their own forums. They wouldn't even allow me to pay them the upgrade for the Corsair. Even if they sent me the same XtremeGear unit, which would make no sense, they wouldn't do that until I returned their $25.00 POS first.

My head is spinning over this and I am afraid that if I don't get this Corsair in there, my components will be degrading by the minute.

I understand that without seeing the unit, it is very difficult to make suggestions, but I really need some help on this one.

Thanks All!!!!

Solution
was there any other problem other than monitor dimming and fan control
because the monitor dimming shouldnt be related to PSU going bad

when a PSU goes bad the computer will start to reboot itself
and crash alot
also take a couple of tries to boot up
then it just makes a funny sound and some smelly smoke
comes out

the monitor has nothing to do with tower power supply
if the graphics card didnt get enough power the
card would have no display not dim
was there any other problem other than monitor dimming and fan control
because the monitor dimming shouldnt be related to PSU going bad

when a PSU goes bad the computer will start to reboot itself
and crash alot
also take a couple of tries to boot up
then it just makes a funny sound and some smelly smoke
comes out

the monitor has nothing to do with tower power supply
if the graphics card didnt get enough power the
card would have no display not dim

Solution

goosegas

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

No, those are the only two problems I noticed.

That's a very good point you make about the monitor.

I have not smelled anything, the computer has not turned off or restarted itself, and the only time the computer gets a little hung up is on power on after it has shut down improperly, which I try to never do.

Any suggestions on the Corsair matter?

Thanks

It is not as bad as it looks. The main power cable is unmistakeable. You have a 4+4 cable for CPU power (4 yellow and 4 black wires). The power connectors for the video cards are labeled "PCI". The rest of the cables are for drives and other devices. These are the 4 pin molex connectors (red, yellow, and 2 black wires) and the 5 wire SATA power connectors.

Just work slowly and carefully.

Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

goosegas

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I was just about to update the post, saying that all went well, which I thought it did.

After about 2 hours of use, I got a BSOD.

This repeated itself about 4 times over the next 30 minutes.

Tell me what information you will need from Event Viewer, etc.

It is 7AM and I have been up all night. I will supply what you need to try to assist later today.

In the meantime, has anybody heard of the changing out of a power supply resulting in BSOD"S?

I can assure you that I went nowhere near the memory sticks, and don't remember even mildly bumping anything inside the case.

Thanks in advance for any help.

goosegas

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
UPDATE-

I have attached all the information below that I can find. After the computer specs. & the Event Manager/BSOD log, there are 4 CPUID screenshots followed by a HWMonitor screenshot and then a diagnostic zip file.

Please, please, see if you can help me out.

Thank You

• Cooler Master HAF 912 Gaming Case
• Corsair 750TX 750W 80 Plus Certified PSU
• AMD Phenom ll X4 925 Quad Core Processor w/Hyper Transport
• ADATA 1600MHz 8 GB DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
• Gigabyte GA-870-UD3 Motherboard
• Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System w/120MM Radiator & Fan
• 1 TB SATA-lll 6.0 GB/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card
• AeroCool 2000 LCD Fan Controller
• Samsung Syncmaster 2433BW 24” 1920 x 1200 LCD Monitor
• APC XS 1300 Battery Backup

- System
- Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2011-03-15T06:30:49.484017400Z

EventRecordID 15758

Correlation

- Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Rick-PC

- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

CPUID_Memory.jpg

CPUID_Spd.jpg

CPUID_Mainboard.jpg

CPUID_Cpu.jpg

HWMonitor.jpg

http://www.167clan.net/Goosegas-Diagnostic.zip

goosegas

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I ran memtest86 for 8 passes and no errors.

I ran Furmark and no errors.

I ran Prime95 and no errors

I ran SeaTools and no errors.

Is it possible since all the hardware passed, that the new Corsair PSU is causing the problem?

The only other thing I can think of is to reformat and see what happens.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank You!!