Can somebody please help me get my system to boot?

kissinger

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I'm at my absolute wits end with trying to get my rig to boot up. I am about ready to jump out of a window. It's 2.22am and I've been trying to get my rig going all day. Here's the situation:

So yesterday I did three things to my rig:

1. Cleaned it out thoroughly with compressed air.
2. Installed a new cooler (a Spire Thermax Eclipse II on MX-2 paste) on my CPU (a Q6600).
3. And swapped out my old 9800GTX for a shiny new Asus 560Ti TOP GPU.

Once I had done all that, I turned the power on and everything worked great. I did get a couple of crashes at the beginning when I first tried to load up an old save file on Deus Ex but that only happened once or twice and I got around 6 hours use out of my upgraded system altogether last night. I thought everything was fine: I was playing Battlefield 3 and getting 60fps and I was running at around 40C on load. I was very pleased with myself.

But when I woke up this morning and tried to boot up I got nothing. I looked inside the case and it was displaying a C1 post code. I turned the power off and on several times but I kept getting either that code or a 1D error. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this. I've tried leaving only one stick of ram in my system. I've tried all of the different slots. I've changed the battery. I've reset the CMOS jumper. I've tried to boot with all hardware disconnected except for the CPU, cooler, ram and a GPU. I've tried switching back to my 9800GTX. I've tried running it outside the case. I've added extra insulation (i.e. electric tape) to the topside of the backplate of my cooler. I've tried pushing on the BIOS chip to make it fit more tightly. And I just got through reseating the CPU and the cooler... but nothing has worked.

For a while I was getting an instant FF error. Now since the reseats I'm getting a 1D error every time again. Can anyone with some knowledge of the 780i boards please, please help me? Is my mobo dead or is there something I can do to bring it back?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
did you try putting it all back the way it was before you upgraded it? not like 1 thing at a time, but put it completely back the way it was, and see if it works. then start from scratch again.

kissinger

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

No. That's why I did the reseat. The screws are not very tight at all.

kissinger

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

Yes, except for the cooler. The only thing I didn't put back was the stock Intel cooler.

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Could you have accidentally moved/pused one of the memories? Try with various RAM setups and in differents slots - that seems to have helped some people with C1s.

TRENDING THREADS