PCIE x16, PCIE 2.0, PCIE 2.1...Help!

Okay, so I have a Motherboard which is capable of holding a PCIE x16 GPU. I was told that a PCIE 2.0 would work fine as it is backward compatible. Is this the same with PCIE 2.1? Can my PCIE x16 run a PCIE 2.1 with no problems?
5 answers Last reply
More about pcie pcie pcie help
  1. Will read reply 2morrow if anyone can help.
  2. if it is 2.1 it will run 2.0 ther made retro compatibility
  3. I had the same dilemma 2 months back and went with a GTX460(PCIe 2.0) as i wasn't brave enough to try the HD6870(PCIe2.1) . They cost virtually the same over here . I couldn't find a return policy with my retailer so couldn't go for the AMD cards . But if you manage to persuade your retailer to accept a return if the card doesn't work you can buy the ATI card .

But listing your full PC specs and budget would lead fellow members to help you :)

If i remember correctly @iamthecrowe has a HD6850 working on a PCIe1.0X16 slot.
    He also mentioned about BIOS upgrade and numerous reseating of his ATI card to make it work .
  4. I have a PCIE 1.0x16. I know that going up one upgrade (2.0) wouldn't be so bad, but wasn't sure if going up two (2.1) would be a good idea.

btw, thanks scout and scapegoat!
  5. AMD Athlon II Tri-Core 3.2 GHz CPU
    Radeon HD 6850 GPU
    550W PSU
    M2N68-LA Narra5 Mobo

My specs.

My basic question is, has anyone had a PCIE1.0x16 slot and put a PCIE 2.1 GPU in and have no problems?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards GPUs Compatibility