CPU shuts down in a second after switching

Last response: in Components
March 13, 2011 9:08:01 AM

Mobo- ASUS P5QPL-AM
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz E7500
GPU- Nvidia Geforce 9600gt
PSU- Zebronics 600W platinum
2Gb DDR2 RAM(2X1 gb)@667Mhz......seagate 500gb 7200.13 HDD

Plz guys help me out....i bought a mobo from the local dealer about 3 months ago...it ws running quite nicely until a week ago..my psu gave out a spark...and the MCB tripped....now i have got the PSU replaced...but whenever i try to switch on my PC with the new PSU all fans start up and the HDD and Power lights glow for a second and it gets turned off..... and it wont start again until i remove the mains(this happens with the C2D)...i had tried using a different CPU(celeron 2.8ghz) which runs fine on another system but if i insert the "celeron" in my mobo it does not boot and doesnt show POST only the CPU/GPU,PSU fans are running...i have tried running the mobo with only 1 DIMM and CPU but no effect......Ive done the paperclip test for the PSU and it ran...it is also hauling..the other system(biostar 945gc, celeron 2.8ghz, 1gb transcend DDR2 @667mhz, 500gb HDD,9600gt) so my cant be wrong....wat i doubt is the processor(bought 3 months ago) or the mobo....PLZ help

Thanks

More about : cpu shuts switching

a c 668 ) Power supply
a c 790 à CPUs
March 13, 2011 12:45:51 PM

I would guess when your PSU went it took your motherboard with it.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2011 6:04:17 PM

Can't help but agree with rolli - I've had several PSU's fail on me and a couple have taken the motherboard out with them.

Have you the means to try another motherboard with your current system??
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2011 8:16:31 PM

If your ASUS motherboard is only 3 months old, get an RMA and return it for repair under warranty. They have a 3 year factory warranty.

I looked up your Zebronics 600W platinum power supply. It has ONLY 27A on the 12volt rail

http://www.zebronics.net/m600w_platinum_powersupply.asp

I looked at a large number of other 600Watt power supplies the 12 volt rails put out between 35A and 50A total....

I would return the power supply for a better quality model to avoid any future problems
March 14, 2011 2:55:25 AM

jb6684 said:
If your ASUS motherboard is only 3 months old, get an RMA and return it for repair under warranty. They have a 3 year factory warranty.

I looked up your Zebronics 600W platinum power supply. It has ONLY 27A on the 12volt rail

http://www.zebronics.net/m600w_platinum_powersupply.asp

I looked at a large number of other 600Watt power supplies the 12 volt rails put out between 35A and 50A total....

I would return the power supply for a better quality model to avoid any future problems

ya going to return the board soon.....and i just wanna know if my CPU is dead or not...rest of the components are all fine and working...checkd them in other PC
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 10:41:16 AM

You might be able to test the E7500 in the Biostar MB, not sure if that MB supports.... BUT, that's kind of a pain...

If your other components are all still good its Very likely CPU is still alive too.... when a power supply goes rogue the MB usually has its power regulation circuitry blown. This MB circuitry will tend to buffer/isolate down stream components like CPU, RAM, Video....
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 12:02:15 PM

Did you remember to plug the 4/8 pin power for the CPU. Sounds like you forgot it to me.

You need 24pin for main power from PSU to mobo, and 4/8 pin from PSU to mobo.
March 21, 2011 4:40:38 AM

daship said:
Did you remember to plug the 4/8 pin power for the CPU. Sounds like you forgot it to me.

You need 24pin for main power from PSU to mobo, and 4/8 pin from PSU to mobo.

ya i hd plugged in the 4pin ATX from PSU along with the 24pin ATX.....and cheers my CPU is alive yippeee..
!