Can i use HDTV as a monitor?

G

Hi Guys,

I built a computer now the last part of it is left i.e. Monitor.

I am thinking about
Samsung
23" LCD HDTV
Full HD 1080p

What do you think? Is it a good idea to use a HDTV as a monitor?
I have heard people saying that it is ok to use HDTV for watching movies and playing games but when you work with some websurfing or even typing something in word, the image is not that crisp and you don't see that good of a picture.

And also do i have to worry about ghosting while playing games.

My computer:
Core i7-930
Gigabyte UD3
6GB RAM
ATI 1GB 5770

If some one has any better suggestion please let me know?

sgvtech

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hi Guys,

I built a computer now the last part of it is left i.e. Monitor.

I am thinking about
Samsung
23" LCD HDTV
Full HD 1080p

What do you think? Is it a good idea to use a HDTV as a monitor?
I have heard people saying that it is ok to use HDTV for watching movies and playing games but when you work with some websurfing or even typing something in word, the image is not that crisp and you don't see that good of a picture.

And also do i have to worry about ghosting while playing games.

My computer:
Core i7-930
Gigabyte UD3
6GB RAM
ATI 1GB 5770

If some one has any better suggestion please let me know?

Before I bought a computer monitor I was using my Philips 32inch LCD HDTV as a monitor. An LCD HDTV has built in components to receive/transcode/display TV, cable, and Satelllite signals. An LCD computer monitor doesn't have those components.... Those are the only difference. When I used my HDTV for web browsing I did get a great picture and no ghosting. You only worry about those issues if you don't have a quality HDTV.

It is okay to use a HDTV as a monitor. However, as you have already mentioned, the text is not as clear as on a PC monitor. That is basically due to the shape of the pixels used in HDTV LCD panels. I have not seen a zoomed in close up picture for the pixel structure, but I have read that the pixel structure is designed more for shapes and objects than text.

As with all LCD tech, there is generally some level ghosting that is possible. It is simply the limitation of LCD tech in general. Typically gamers prefer monitors that uses TN panels because they are cheap and have fast response times and generally low input lag. However, they have poor viewing angles and that is something you do not want a HDTV to have. I'll guess that only the very cheapest of HDTVs use TN panel tech.

When you have people over your place you don't want them to complain about the picture quality of your HDTV which is why TN panels are not used in HDTVs to the best of my knowledge. The following are viewing angles from a the Dell U2411w which uses a H-IPS panel....

blickwinkel.jpg

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-dell-u2410-part6.html#Viewing

Pretty good right?

Here's the viewing angle of the Samsung P2450H monitor which uses a TN panel....

p2450h-blickwinkel.jpg

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-samsung-p2450h-part6.html#Viewing[

Pretty crappy right?

Expect some small level of ghosting when gaming on a HDTV and always, always use "Gaming Mode" or manually switch to 60Hz when gaming on a HDTV. HDTVs that are 120Hz or 240Hz does some internal video enhancement to make video look smoother. This internal processing causes input lag 'cause it take time to do so. A 120Hz HDTV is not the same thing as a 120Hz PC monitor. They operate much differently.

sgvtech

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Wow! You know your stuff... thanks for the insight! :D

TRENDING THREADS