Your question

Fan Connection Problem?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cases
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2010 6:23:54 PM

Just finished second build with an ASUS P6X58D-E mobo in a Rosewill Challenger case. Two of the case fans only have 4-pin Molex connectors, so I got some 4-pin to 3-pin adapters so I could plug them directly into the mobo. When I power up, fans are bothspinning, but they don't show up in the ASUS utility or SpeedFan, so I can't tell how fast they are spinning or adjust them. CPU (i7/950) is staying cool and I'm not overclocking, so this is more of an annoyance then anything else, but I'd really like to figure out what's going wrong. Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

More about : fan connection problem

December 23, 2010 3:04:39 PM

Usualy when you have to use an 3-4 pin adapter for those case fans that mean the fans will spin at at their maximum rate and won't report to the Mobo. Does the 3 pin adapter have 3 or 2 wires on it? IF it's only got a black and read then the fans get power only. The 3rd cable typicly white is for reporting speed. However many case fans cannot be controlled by a 3 pin connector especialy when you adapting a 4 pin pwn to a 3 pin. Odds are theres nothing you can do but the fans should be defalting to their maximum speed .
m
l
December 23, 2010 5:58:45 PM

Mystery solved. Yes, the molex connectors from the fans only have two wires (red+black). At least the Molex->3 pin adapter let me get rid of one of the power cords in my box, since nothing else uses molex connections. But I was hoping to be able to monitor/adjust fan speed as well. Oh well. Guess to do that I need to just swap fans out.

Thanks for the reply.
m
l
!