Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASUS M2NPV-NMIssues and How to Diagnose

Last response: in Motherboards
November 18, 2011 4:37:56 PM

This PC, thus the mobo has gone through 2 iterations. Most recently (1/2011), I moved a AMD CPU out of another PC along with its DRAM into the "problem PC". It is using the on-board graphics. The current CPU is AMD|A64 X2 4850E 2.5G AM2.

For some time, predating the hardware swap out above, occasionally the system would go into suspend (NOT hibernate). and when you touched the mouse or KBD, it would not come to life again. Turning the ASUS flat panel off then on would come up with "No DVI Signal". I usually would have to force a shutdown, then restart - even then it would still not bring up the video.

At one point, I tried, another DVI monitor as well as a CRT monitor. After my son suggested it, I even swapped the DRAM from 0 to 1 (or whichever). The DRAM swap worked that one time but it still occasionally would have this issue.

A few days ago, I tried Ctl-Alt-Del and the Windows Screen did come up so I could click on the desired user. I had maybe two occasions where this worked.

11/17 while frantically working on another desktop, discovered I needed a set of RAID drivers so I went to the FD of the instant PC. The FD was not hooked up so turn off the PC and I hooked it up. Also cleaned the internals - air spray and vacuumed (carefully).

PC would not even begin to boot with the FD connected (though to my recall having the FD connected had never been an issue b4). So forget the drivers, lets have at least one working PC...

However, the PC will start - making it normal boot up sounds - but no video to the monitor.

Since I cannot see anything, I am stuck - no BIOS to look at NADA. Mobo kaput?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 18, 2011 4:46:46 PM

You may have any number of issues. Could be a weak power supply or bad video hookup. I had a bad power cord to my monitor for a long time. Replaced it and all my problems went away. Start by not using any sleep mode settings in the bios. Use your power switch for awhile. See how consistent your pc boots up. Check all your monitor connections again and move the monitor around if you don't get any video. That's how I figured out my power cord was bad.
November 18, 2011 6:08:05 PM

I'd agree about the monitor but it had been not only moved but swapped out previously.

PS is a 500w Thermaltake TR-2 which should be adequate (or more than) given the low power AMD CPU that is in there and use of on-board graphics.

If it is a slow(er) degradation of one of these components - well that's another matter.

Thanks for your input.

o1die said:
You may have any number of issues. Could be a weak power supply or bad video hookup. I had a bad power cord to my monitor for a long time. Replaced it and all my problems went away. Start by not using any sleep mode settings in the bios. Use your power switch for awhile. See how consistent your pc boots up. Check all your monitor connections again and move the monitor around if you don't get any video. That's how I figured out my power cord was bad.

Related resources
November 19, 2011 4:17:21 PM

Also swapped out the FP monitor - no luck. Looking at upgrade(s)...
November 26, 2011 2:10:09 PM

FWIW, did a new build...
December 6, 2011 10:14:04 AM

Best answer selected by lhim.
!