Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom II X6 1090T or X4 965 BE?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 13, 2011 4:03:31 PM

I can afford a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T which is 3.2 Ghz which have 6cores. but Also X4 965 is 4 cores but 3.4 Ghz.
I'm gonna buy a heat sink fan for overclocking. [CM hyper 212+]. please help... :??: 
which one to buy...

More about : phenom 1090t 965

a b à CPUs
March 13, 2011 4:19:18 PM

If you're gonna make use of all 6 cores then get the X6. If not, get the X4 because the X6 will perform exactly the same otherwise.

Certainly if you're gaming then there's no point in getting the X6.


Alternatively, if you don't already have a motherboard, get a Sandy Bridge i5 2500K instead and watch it stomp all over AMD.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2011 4:47:05 PM

+1^
For gaming and daily tasks X4 965 is the way to go,but if you do lots of image/video recording,then go with X6.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 13, 2011 5:56:19 PM

I just bought a X4 965 BE 1 week back...totally awesome dude, you can go for it!!! Support it with a good mobo. I got Asus M4A89GTD PRo....the mobo is awesome too...
m
0
l
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
a b À AMD
March 13, 2011 6:00:33 PM

+1 for the 2500K. it will kill the x4 or x6 in everything. Even the i3 2000 beats an x6 in most gaming situations. There is almost no reason to recommend AMD right now.

i3 2000 vs 1055T ( dual core vs hexacore.)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=289
m
0
l
a c 81 à CPUs
March 13, 2011 6:21:00 PM

As hinted by all, we need to know your usage scenario..
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2011 7:30:24 PM

abhirox said:
I just bought a X4 965 BE 1 week back...totally awesome dude, you can go for it!!! Support it with a good mobo. I got Asus M4A89GTD PRo....the mobo is awesome too...


I seriously have to question why, unless you already had a AM3 motherboard.
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 2:02:53 AM

Emperus said:
As hinted by all, we need to know your usage scenario..

My only work is gaming. hardcore gaming.
how much for core i5 2500k? which is the better motherboard for it?
im also going to buy a 6870. i would have to change it.
m
0
l
a c 81 à CPUs
March 14, 2011 8:12:06 AM

If you can get yourself an i5 2500k build then nothing like it.. It'll beat out any AMD solution available till date in almost every CPU intensive test possible.. For the motherboard, you can check the following article -

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-motherboard-roundup-lg...

Keep in mind that gaming is however more video card dependent.. Thus, if going for a Phenom II can fetch you a better video card then surely go for it..
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 12:47:13 PM

mercuryman24 said:
My only work is gaming. hardcore gaming.
how much for core i5 2500k? which is the better motherboard for it?
im also going to buy a 6870. i would have to change it.

You would NOT have to change your 6870. :non:  It would work fine with a Sandy Bridge motherboard. :hello: 
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 2:34:30 PM

LePhuronn said:
I seriously have to question why, unless you already had a AM3 motherboard.


I didn't have any other choice. Not much option available in India. I didn't want an i7, the i5 model which i wanted does not come to my country. I'm actually satisfied with this processor, seriously its awesome.~
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 2:40:47 PM

abhirox said:
I didn't have any other choice. Not much option available in India. I didn't want an i7, the i5 model which i wanted does not come to my country. I'm actually satisfied with this processor, seriously its awesome.~


Oh I know it's a good processor, I have one running a dedicated Warcraft box in the living room (and overclocked to 4GHz), but unless there are very good reasons (like availability in a country, as in your case), there's just no point going with AMD chips at the moment while Intel is stomping all over them at similar price points.
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 2:50:14 PM

clarkjd said:
You would NOT have to change your 6870. :non:  It would work fine with a Sandy Bridge motherboard. :hello: 

there are intel motherboards supporting crossfire?
which is better? gtx 460 or msi 6870?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 2:54:47 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=290

6870 is generally better.


And yes, most recent Intel chipsets support Crossfire - certainly the 6-series for Sandy Bridge does. Whether or not the motherboard itself has the required slots on it to physically do Crossfire is a different story.

Also, it's SLI that doesn't always show up on multi-GPU boards as Nvidia require a license for it. As a result, SLI support doesn't appear on cheaper boards to keep the cost down.
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 3:14:57 PM

LePhuronn said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=290

6870 is generally better.


And yes, most recent Intel chipsets support Crossfire - certainly the 6-series for Sandy Bridge does. Whether or not the motherboard itself has the required slots on it to physically do Crossfire is a different story.

Also, it's SLI that doesn't always show up on multi-GPU boards as Nvidia require a license for it. As a result, SLI support doesn't appear on cheaper boards to keep the cost down.

So which is a good motherboard for Core i5 2500K with overclocking utilities, DDR3 RAM, USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/S, CrossfireX support?
Do you think the 6870 will have driver problems with an Intel processor? Also, will the sandy bridge supported by cooler master hyper 212+ heat sink fan?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 3:30:49 PM

mercuryman24 said:
So which is a good motherboard for Core i5 2500K with overclocking utilities, DDR3 RAM, USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/S, CrossfireX support?


All Sandy Bridge boards have DDR3, USB3 and SATA III (unless you're getting a cheap-ass Foxconn board).

So, I'd recommend anything by Asus or Gigabyte - have a look around Newegg (or where you're buying from), see what's in your budget, find some reviews and then decide on that. We can help fine-tune your decision, but you're in the driving seat on that I'm afraid. I would suggest the Gigabyte P67 UD7 as that's the top-end board, but it's very expensive and I don't know what your budget is!

Just make 100% sure you're getting a motherboard that's B3 revision on the chipset as these are the ones that have fixed the chipset problem from earlier this year.

mercuryman24 said:
Do you think the 6870 will have driver problems with an Intel processor?


Why would it? CPU has no influence on the choice of graphics card as far as you'd be concerned. Just because a Radeon is made by AMD doesn't mean it only works with AMD processors.

mercuryman24 said:
Also, will the sandy bridge supported by cooler master hyper 212+ heat sink fan?


If the Hyper 212+ fits socket 1155 (which it should do because the holes are identical to socket 1156) then yes it will work. It's a great cooler and should allow the i5 to hit a good 4.4GHz. If you want to go further than that you'd probably need a more hefty cooler, and anything past 5GHz is really the realm of water.
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 3:34:56 PM

LePhuronn said:
All Sandy Bridge boards have DDR3, USB3 and SATA III (unless you're getting a cheap-ass Foxconn board).

So, I'd recommend anything by Asus or Gigabyte - have a look around Newegg (or where you're buying from), see what's in your budget, find some reviews and then decide on that. We can help fine-tune your decision, but you're in the driving seat on that I'm afraid. I would suggest the Gigabyte P67 UD7 as that's the top-end board, but it's very expensive and I don't know what your budget is!

Just make 100% sure you're getting a motherboard that's B3 revision on the chipset as these are the ones that have fixed the chipset problem from earlier this year.



Why would it? CPU has no influence on the choice of graphics card in any respect that would affect your build. just because a Radeon is made by AMD doesn't mean it only works with AMD processors.



If the Hyper 212+ fits socket 1155 (which it should do because the holes are identical to socket 1156) then yes it will work. It's a great cooler and should allow the i5 to hit a good 4.4GHz. If you want to go further than that you'd probably need a more hefty cooler, and anything past 5GHz is really the realm of water.

Thanks a lot!!.... should I stick to X6 1090t if sandy bridge is not avail in my country? :)  (I'm in India, cannot buy from newegg or tigerdirect)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 3:56:25 PM

Ah, you're in India. I don't know what's available or not over there.

Honestly, if you're "only" gaming then there's no real point in getting the X6 - until games use more than 4 cores you won't see any benefit, and in some cases (such as Formula 1 2010) the X6 will perform WORSE than a X4 because of some issue recognising the additional cores.

Also, the X4 965BE is cheaper than the i5 200K (my price comparison was between the i5 and the X6).

If you're going to make use of the extra 2 cores, such as with video encoding, then yes go with the X6 if you can't get the Sandy Bridge.

If ultimately you do go with the X4, you might be better off getting a better graphics card with the money saved - the 6870 is a good card, but the 6950 is better (and the 1GB version performs almost identically to the 2GB version, so it's not much more expensive than a 6870).
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 4:02:04 PM

LePhuronn said:
Ah, you're in India. I don't know what's available or not over there.

Honestly, if you're "only" gaming then there's no real point in getting the X6 - until games use more than 4 cores you won't see any benefit, and in some cases (such as Formula 1 2010) the X6 will perform WORSE than a X4 because of some issue recognising the additional cores.

Also, the X4 965BE is cheaper than the i5 200K (my price comparison was between the i5 and the X6).

If you're going to make use of the extra 2 cores, such as with video encoding, then yes go with the X6 if you can't get the Sandy Bridge.

If ultimately you do go with the X4, you might be better off getting a better graphics card with the money saved - the 6870 is a good card, but the 6950 is better (and the 1GB version performs almost identically to the 2GB version, so it's not much more expensive than a 6870).

OK now comparing AMD Phenom II X4 965 black edition and Intel Core i5 2500K.
the 2500k is better than 965 i guess. my ques : "worth the money"? :) 
also have to change the motherboard
for amd - asus m4a89gtd - pro
intel - asus ASUS P8P67-M / Pro
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 4:19:45 PM

I'd say the i5 is worth the money - it's the same price as the X6 you were looking at originally but many, many times better, and will last you for a very long time - the Sandy Bridge processors are amazing.

That's also a good motherboard to go with it. bear in mind though the AMD board you chose is ATX size, however the Intel board is Micro ATX - this might affect the cooling of Crossfire as the cards will be right next to each other.

If you are prepared to pay the extra money for the i5 system (both processor and motherboard are more expensive) then I say 100% yes it's worth the money. There's nothing wrong with the Phenom II if you are on a tight budget, but it doesn't make much sense to me to get the vastly inferior product if you can afford the better kit.
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 4:23:15 PM

LePhuronn said:
I'd say the i5 is worth the money - it's the same price as the X6 you were looking at originally but many, many times better, and will last you for a very long time - the Sandy Bridge processors are amazing.

That's also a good motherboard to go with it. bear in mind though the AMD board you chose is ATX size, however the Intel board is Micro ATX - this might affect the cooling of Crossfire as the cards will be right next to each other.

If you are prepared to pay the extra money for the i5 system (both processor and motherboard are more expensive) then I say 100% yes it's worth the money. There's nothing wrong with the Phenom II if you are on a tight budget, but it doesn't make much sense to me to get the vastly inferior product if you can afford the better kit.

:)  So Asus P8H67-M-LE 16GB DDR3 USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard good enough for it?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 4:30:45 PM

No, the P8H67-M-LE only takes 1 graphics card, so you can't Crossfire.

Also it's H67 chipset so you can't overclock either - if you want to overclock you MUST have a K series processor AND a P67 chipset motherboard.
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 4:40:58 PM

LePhuronn said:
No, the P8H67-M-LE only takes 1 graphics card, so you can't Crossfire.

Also it's H67 chipset so you can't overclock either - if you want to overclock you MUST have a K series processor AND a P67 chipset motherboard.

ASUS P8P67-M?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 5:08:24 PM

Nope, the 2nd PCI-E slot is only electrically a 4x slot, so your 2nd card will be heavily bottlenecked, messing up your Crossfire.
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 5:10:59 PM

LePhuronn said:
Nope, the 2nd PCI-E slot is only electrically a 4x slot, so your 2nd card will be heavily bottlenecked, messing up your Crossfire.

then which one dude? I don't think I would crossfire anyway. But I'll need it ;) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 5:17:30 PM

There was nothing wrong with the ASUS P8P67-M Pro you listed earlier. I was only questioning it being Micro ATX in size.

Where are you looking to buy from and what's your budget? I can have a quick look and give you some options.
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 5:22:40 PM

LePhuronn said:
There was nothing wrong with the ASUS P8P67-M Pro you listed earlier. I was only questioning it being Micro ATX in size.

Where are you looking to buy from and what's your budget? I can have a quick look and give you some options.

budget : 180 max .
I don't think I would do crossfire. So don't you think it would be better to go for the asus p8p67-m pro?
also, I would buy a better monitor. :)  like 21" with reso: 1680x1050 :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 5:35:28 PM

If you want Crossfire, the P8P67-M Pro is a good board. You could also consider the P8P67 Pro (same board but full ATX size) or the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 (also full ATX).

If you don't want Crossfire the other two Asus boards you listed would be OK.

Is there a specific reason you're looking at Micro ATX boards, or are full-size ATX boards OK?
m
0
l
March 14, 2011 5:39:08 PM

LePhuronn said:
If you want Crossfire, the P8P67-M Pro is a good board. You could also consider the P8P67 Pro (same board but full ATX size) or the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 (also full ATX).

If you don't want Crossfire the other two Asus boards you listed would be OK.

Is there a specific reason you're looking at Micro ATX boards, or are full-size ATX boards OK?

ummm...actually I don't really know what the atx thing is... :)  please tell me

I would go with no crossfire mobo :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2011 5:43:23 PM

The ATX thing is the size of the motherboard. ATX is the standard size of a motherboard, Micro ATX is smaller and usually used in smaller cases and things like home theatre PCs.

Micro ATX boards have less slots on them for fitting cards, and this means graphics cards would be sat next to each other, which sometimes causes problems with airflow to keep the cards cool.

What case do you have, or what case are you looking at?
m
0
l
a c 81 à CPUs
March 14, 2011 5:54:27 PM

Here is a website you can look for comparing prices and sorting out products based on your budget -

www.primeabgb.com

Which city in India are you from..??
m
0
l
March 15, 2011 1:48:54 AM

Emperus said:
Here is a website you can look for comparing prices and sorting out products based on your budget -

www.primeabgb.com

Which city in India are you from..??

Kannur (Cannannore), north kerala :) 
m
0
l
March 15, 2011 1:51:26 AM

LePhuronn said:
The ATX thing is the size of the motherboard. ATX is the standard size of a motherboard, Micro ATX is smaller and usually used in smaller cases and things like home theatre PCs.

Micro ATX boards have less slots on them for fitting cards, and this means graphics cards would be sat next to each other, which sometimes causes problems with airflow to keep the cards cool.

What case do you have, or what case are you looking at?

HAF 922 currently. I think i would change it and put the budget on monitor. you have any cool looking case in mind? (without water cooling) :)  just for style :sol: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2011 9:13:38 AM

No need to change your HAF 922, it's a great case - airflow and space inside is excellent.

You can also fit full ATX boards in there.
m
0
l
a c 81 à CPUs
March 15, 2011 4:50:44 PM

If you can make a trip to bangalore then you can fetch yourself a whole lot of options.. As for the case, I agree to Le's comment that it does not requires a change.. Its a good case..
m
0
l
March 16, 2011 1:24:25 AM

LePhuronn said:
No need to change your HAF 922, it's a great case - airflow and space inside is excellent.

You can also fit full ATX boards in there.

Dude i found a new motherboard for the core i5 2500k
hows this?
gigabyte ga-p67a-ud3h-(b3) ???
has everything :) 

and case : cooler master elite 310... thats enough for me i guess :) 
m
0
l
!