Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2010 1:26:05 PM

Hello,
i have a amd athlon 64x2 4200+2.20ghx, 3gb ddr2, msi r4350 512ddr2 using hdmi, with windows 7.
i putt this pc together about 2 months ago and since 2 days ago its been shuting off. it stating when i was playing a game the computer just loses power i turn it back on but no signal to monitor, i unplugthe power supply wait a minute turn it back on works for a minute or two and does the same im guessing it somethings over heating but what? any ideas, anyone??
October 21, 2010 1:31:40 PM

kanada1702 said:
Hello,
i have a amd athlon 64x2 4200+2.20ghx, 3gb ddr2, msi r4350 512ddr2 using hdmi, with windows 7.
i putt this pc together about 2 months ago and since 2 days ago its been shuting off. it stating when i was playing a game the computer just loses power i turn it back on but no signal to monitor, i unplugthe power supply wait a minute turn it back on works for a minute or two and does the same im guessing it somethings over heating but what? any ideas, anyone??

i have a 22" lg hd monitor plugged through hdmi, i also bought a dvi cable so i can watch movies from my pc on my huge tv as well, since both monitor and tv were on i thought that was over heating it but 2 days know and either way it still turns of, my ati catlyst control center says the the grapchis card temp starts at 56 and its slowly rising its at 58 now but not sure at what temp it is when shuts off becuas i naever know when its going to happend. ill allso add that sometimes like yesterday i watched 6 episodes of house on the bigscreen with the pc and it worked fine i havnt done anyhing today and its all ready turned 3 times on me.
October 21, 2010 1:35:51 PM

ill also add that i have two other fans installed other then the cpu and psu fanes. 2 hdds and 2 drives. my psu is 480w output
October 21, 2010 1:56:46 PM

It might be your PSU that's having problems. If you can, try clean out the dust in your PSU, and check if there's any blown capacitors. If there are, it's best to change the PSU ;) 

You would also like to have a look at your case, air flow is quite important. Too many wires everywhere can lead to bad air flow then overheat :p 
!