6950 Crossfire setup

G

@somebody 007 dont be so arrogant i only posted this build on 3 threads and i edited the post immediately after you told about the monitor .anything more you want we can have it outta here.and for your info in this thread i accidently posted and was not able to do anything other than editing

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
@somebody 007 dont be so arrogant i only posted this build on 3 threads and i edited the post immediately after you told about the monitor .anything more you want we can have it outta here.and for your info in this thread i accidently posted and was not able to do anything other than editing

I didn't mean to insult it's just it reminds me of someone who posted one stupid build(yours is good his wasn't) on litteraly dozens of threads, which was annoying, confusing for the person asking advice and very frustrating and I wanted to make sure that doesn't happen all over again. So sorry if I upset you that wasn't my intention.

btw edited the quote since you said it was an accident.

G

yeah it was an accident but i learnt just before that you could edit the post which helps to remove it completely after i googled how to delete a post in toms hadware
and found out about this

Actually we now have a CFX in Eyefinity review finally done with Cayman Pro/XT!

HD 6K: Cayman Crossfire in Eyefinity scaling
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/AMD_Radeon_6970_6950_-_Featured_Review_Page_11
Untitled-1541.jpg

Conclusions
The Radeon HD 6950 in particular defines a new segment, and creates a killer price/performance ratio. The Radeon HD 6900 family truly shines in games relying on DX11 and featuring tessellation. Both cards provide more than enough performance for DX9 and DX10 titles, particularly in widescreen.

The Radeon HD 6900 family makes large strides in DX11 titles and Eyefinity performance. The trade-off of increased clocks, but reduced shaders probably balances out in the end. The addition of a second graphics engine (on a refined architecture), improved tessellation and 2GB being standard are the primary drivers of this improvement.

rzayas28

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

Chris,

I have an ASUS x58 Sabretooth and have 2 6950's in xfire and there is about 2 mm's in between them. I've touched them and they don't seem hot while playing Crysis at full settings. I e-mailed ASUS and they told me that all PCI-E x16 slots will be the same distance apart. Is that true?

Can you recommend a motherboard with the proper spacing that will not break my bank? I'm already going to have to pay a RMA fee to NewEgg.

Sometimes I think I should just pay someone to build these things for me...aaaargh! This was supposed to be a cheap project :(

IF they dont seem hot or loud, why bother?

And all the mobo slots will be the same distance, but most good boards will have these config.

Pcie--- PCi--- Pcie--Pci

Or somthing liek that, so you can increase the distance by scarifcing the PCI slots, or somethign similar.

Pcie ---pci--- pci--- Pcie

YOu get the idea.

rzayas28

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for the advice friend! I guess I'll just keep my eyes on it and quit worrying until there is a reason to worry...the Asus rep told me to open the cards and rip out the thermal pads and stick in some heatsink compound. I'm pretty sure that would void the lifetime XFX warranty...He also said monitor the temp and make sure it does not go above 100 c, so that is what I will do...thanks again!

100C is very, very high. Make sure it doesnt get near there.

Download a problem called HWMoniter, and another called GPU-Z.

Use those to moniter temps.

Also try downloading soemthing called Furmark, IF you want to see jsut how hot those cards can get.

rzayas28

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Is there a guideline as to how hot I should let them get? I just ran Furmark at max settings and they got up to 86 degrees c before I chickened out and shut it off...