HD 5870 and DVI related problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasim

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hello,

I built my home system for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I have a strange problem regarding my display. I am not sure where I was supposed to post this, but since it is display related and I have a radeon 5870, I thought this is the place.

I built my system. Plugged in the dvi cable. Booted. Installed windows. Despite the fact that my windows is genuine it did not accept my password at first. Then, after a couple of tries, it did. I can swear I wrote the product code right. I did not care much about this and moved on since it got fixed anyway. I am mentioning this for a reason, which I will talk about below.

My build is this:

MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

GPU: XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

CPU: Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

MEMORY: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

SCREEN: SP2309W 23-inch Full HD Widescreen Monitor with Webcam

During the installation my screen went black a couple of times telling me that the minimum resolution and refresh rate should be no lower than some values. Later I learned that I should plug in the VGA cable when booting a system for the first time. Luckily, turning the screen off and on fixed the problem. The rest of the installation was straight forward and I installed windows successfully.

My first order of business was to install the networking drivers and then the Catalyst 10.9. I had a problem when I was installing the driver, it did not work at first and I installed it again. Upon completing the installation I set the resolution and refresh rate to what they were supposed to be and thought I was done. It seemed to be working.

I started getting a various forms of .dll problems at first. Games and other programs in general were not starting, I was getting the blue screen at times. I made some research about it and learned that those problems can be related to bad installation. It said I was supposed to use some sort of built in Windows 7 repair, which took like almost 2 hours. I thought that repair took care of all the problems, as I was able to play games on my computer for a full day without anything going bad.

Then, next time I started I got a blue screen again, and the resolution set itself to a low level. That was when I switched to the vga cable from the dvi cable and all the problems vanished. I used the computer without any problems for 4-5 days. Despite not being able to tell much difference in display quality, I felt like I was not getting the most out of my system, and uninstalled the graphics driver and installed it again. I followed the steps on the ATI website to the letter. I switched to the dvi able again.

Now it seems that all .dll related problems have vanished. I don't get any error messages saying whatever.dll is not functioning properly. But I think the system is not fully stable as once, when I started the computer the catalyst did not work. But these things are happening rarely now compared to 2 weeks ago. Actually it seems to be working fine for the past 3 days, on the DVI cable.

So my question is: Does any one have any idea why my problems are solved when I switch to vga cable? The system works fine with dvi cable mostly but not always, at least until now this was the case. Hardware-wise the only glitch I can tell you is that my RAM is 1600, but is working at 1333 because I think that's what my CPU is capable of. 1600 option is not even available in the BIOS. I am mentioning this because at a couple of places I have seen that some graphics issues are related to memory. Needless to say, I have not changed anything in the BIOS settings.

Also, please note that I have not installed any drivers other than the catalyst and the one for my network thing. Am I supposed to install other stuff to a new PC?

Thank you for all your help and reading this long message.

Solution
It is very important that you install your motherboard drivers! All your missing DLL´s could be a lack of suitable drivers for onboard devices.

hasim

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
I did not know something called a motherboard driver existed.

I did not install them. Is it ok to do this now, after installing video drivers and a few games and networking device drivers? Or am I supposed to reinstall windows, then mobo drivers, then graphics and so on? Is there a specific order to be followed?

hasim

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Thnx. My mobo is asus p7p55d-e Pro. I searched online and found a lot of "things" to install. Namely:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P7P55D-E%20PRO&SLanguage=en-us

How do I know which one of these I need? or do I just use the install disk that came with the mobo. I would appreciate if you can direct me to a source where I can read and learn about mobo drivers. I have read that one should not update the BIOS unless it is definitely necessary, so I don't want to mess anything up. Thnx.

hasim

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Never mind actually. I am going to research on this in the motherboard forums. I will start a thread if I can not find what I am looking for. Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.