Sign in with
Your question

Clockwork framerate drop? What could issue be?

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2010 10:41:26 PM

So playing WoW, while flying in rain, I get an interesting clockwork framerate drop. That is, every 1 second EXACTLY, the framerate drops by 10-20. This is present almost everywhere, but is much less significant if I'm not in a rainy area.

I've used dpclt to check DPC latency, I've used process explorer to monitor network I/O deltas, cpu usage, pagefile / ram usage, harddrive usage, etc. Not a single thing spikes during these little performance 'farts" in the rainy areas.
I've also updated every driver that was outdated, from sound to NIC to gpu to chipset, and nothing has fixed it. I'm running a very minimal amount of apps too. Only things running are things vital to windows, steam, and drivers.

So where could the issue lie, if nothing is fluctuating, and nobody else is experiencing this?

Specs are as follows
AMD Phenom 2 x6 1055T @ stock clocks and volts
2x2gb of Kingston ValueRam @ stock timings and volts
Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X @ stock clocks and voltage
Western Digital Caviar Green (seagate barracuda died so I'm forced to use this garbage drive)
Ga-ma790GPT-ud3h on F4G bios
And lastly, a Silverstone Olympia 650w PSU.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2010 11:00:07 PM

MIght be an inherent glitch with that game, too many raindrops for seemless framerates...(it's much easier to get 100 fps staring at a wall than when the 3D processing is 'busy')

Does the system visibly stall or hitch to a near zero framerate, or are you merely observing/curiously staring at the in-game framerate counter and wondering why it won't constantly achieve 60 fps at x resolution...?
December 17, 2010 11:30:27 PM

mdd1963 said:
MIght be an inherent glitch with that game, too many raindrops for seemless framerates...(it's much easier to get 100 fps staring at a wall than when the 3D processing is 'busy')

Does the system visibly stall or hitch to a near zero framerate, or are you merely observing/curiously staring at the in-game framerate counter and wondering why it won't constantly achieve 60 fps at x resolution...?

It visibly hitches. From what I can see, there are 3 "pauses" that happen in the span of a second, and every second this repeats. It almost seems like a natural occurrence with how clockwork-like it is.

And the framerate doesn't drop to near 0, it'll go from 60 to 40 or 70 to 50 kinda thing.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 12:55:07 AM

Anyone else that can test for similar occurrences in WoW with assortment of video cards?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 12:58:01 AM

Might be a repeating rain graphic subroutine within the game iutself, which it has to refetch/replay a few times per second, waiting on it to be loaded, etc...

I still suspect it is inherent WoW errata....
December 18, 2010 2:55:42 AM

If you have an AMD processor go to the bios and disable COOL N QUIET. I was getting FPS DROPS in several games and it all went away when I disabled it.
December 18, 2010 5:37:38 AM

Gmoney39513 said:
If you have an AMD processor go to the bios and disable COOL N QUIET. I was getting FPS DROPS in several games and it all went away when I disabled it.

Been running with CNQ disabled since I built the rig.

As for the initial issue - I periodically run 3dmark vantage to keep tabs on benchmarks, and today the benchmark is identical to what it was 8 months ago when I built this rig. If this were an issue with hardware, don't you think it would show up in 3dmark?
Must just be an app issue.
December 18, 2010 6:57:36 AM

Just swapped out power supply - issue remains.
Getting ready to take a sledgehammer to this rig (not joking) and using my old reliable build, since this one seems to have been a colossal failure.
!