Asus p8z68-v LE Help installing CPU

bevolj

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to install a new Intel i5 CPU onto an ASUS mother board and am worried I am not doing it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I put the CPU in and closed the load plate but when I push down the load lever I am getting a ton of resistance. I am worried if I put as much pressure on there as it seems to need to get the lever down that I will break something. Does it usually take much pressure to get the lever down all the way?

Thank you for your help

MrBlonde

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

I had a lot of resistance getting my Corei5-2500K in the socket as well... much more than any of my old LGA775 CPUs in their sockets. Make sure your have a LGA 1155 CPU, not the old LGA 1156 core i5. Next, make sure the CPU is aligned in the socket correctly. If so, you should be okay to lock down the mechanism.

lazeekat

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I also had a lot of resistance when seating my i7 2600k into the ASUS Z68 V-PRO board and had the exact same concern. I ended up googling to find this thread, which reassured me to push down hard on the load lever. At first I thought I was going to crack the motherboard, but at some point the load lever resistance finally minimized and I was able to seat and lock it properly.

As the previous poster mentioned, just make sure you have the LGA 1155 CPU and the alignment is correct. Basically the arrow on one of the corners of the CPU should be pointing away from the load lever.

Oceanopticon

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I just installed my Intel i7 3770k into an ASUS P8Z77-V LK and there was a TON of resistance. I could feel the resistance just barely after I started to pull the lever down. I could even hear a sort of crunching sound and a couple little crack like sounds. I believe these sounds were coming from the motherboard though and not the CPU (hopefully!). The CPU was seated properly and of course both were socket LGA 1155.

It made me very nervous but I slowly kept going until the latch locked in place. Nothing broke, and no issues so far. Just wanted to let others know.