P8P67 Pro/Evo USB 3.0 to case front panel

henryvalz

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
So, I'm scouting new cases for my Sandy Bridge build, and I'm pretty set on the P8P67 boards.

But what I'm confused about is how the front panels are connecting to the boards.

I know that the P8P67 has a connection in the board for USB3.0, but I'm not seeing how the cases are connecting to them.

Is there a new standard USB 3.0 connection for front panels?

I know the HAF-X has a run-through to the back I/O panel, and connects the USB3.0 there. But that solution sucks, as it uses up the back ports to create the front ones.

I'm also looking at the DF-85, and Corsair 600T, which have USB up front, but seem to both be using the same "solution" to put USB 3.0 up front.

Is there a case that actually uses the Asus P8P67's connection at mid-board to utilize the USB3.0 at the front panel?

I know the P8P67 Deluxe has a special 3.5" connection to put a pair of USB3.0 up front, but I kind of think that thing is as ugly as sin. (Though you can do some fancy internal connections to connect it to the HAF-X so that you don't have to see it, but waste some space doing it.)

So, what I'm thinking is that If I'm spending nearly $375 between a board and a case, can't I get a functional USB3.0 up front connected to the board?

Solution
What you are asking for is nice and convenient. The Sandy Bridge boards are still very new, and maybe later the manufacturers will incorporate USB 3 headers on the board in addition to USB 3 at the rear ports.

I solved the issue by installing a USB 3 PCIe card and then connecting a USB 3 cable at the rear and bringing the end to the front and side of my desktop computer.
What you are asking for is nice and convenient. The Sandy Bridge boards are still very new, and maybe later the manufacturers will incorporate USB 3 headers on the board in addition to USB 3 at the rear ports.

I solved the issue by installing a USB 3 PCIe card and then connecting a USB 3 cable at the rear and bringing the end to the front and side of my desktop computer.

Solution

henryvalz

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

Maybe I will go with the Deluxe, and do the internal re-route inside the HAF-X.

Or I can just accept the vicious ugliness of the connection.

Between the Couger Point problems, and the poor USB 3.0 implimentation, Sandy Bridge is making baby Raptor Jesus cry... :cry: