Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elektrey

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
I'm planning on building my first computer so I made a newegg shopping cart here: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=15123032
Will these work together? Ive been doing research and it looks like it should but $373 for a Quad Core with GTX460 sounds cheap. Also note that I have my own IDE DVD Drive and HDD the mobo has 1x IDE but I have a PCI card with an IDE connection... not sure if that link works so here is a copied list incase it doesnt:

Pixxo CX-5C59 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
ZOTAC ZT-40402-10P GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

Just want to know like for instance if It will overheat or need a better PSU or anything im missing.
Also is the Athlon II X4 a good processor to go with a GTX 460 or would I need to upgrade it to get a good performance. Also plan on installing a SATA 500GB+ HDD in the future, im on a budget though so I would like to just use my existing 160GB IDE HDD.

EDIT: PC is used for gaming as the other 3 computer I have in my house have a x3100, 9200 SE and a ATI 200M..... yeah.....

Solution

Yeah, but in this case, since Bulldozer is coming out in 6-8 months or so, he'll want a new motherboard and CPU around that time anyway. So when the PSU fries them on...

Elektrey

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
well I think the W Req is 450W for the GTX 460 and its 500W I originally bought one with 2 PCIe power connectors but I realized the card came with Molex-> PCIe adapters so I just picked out a PSU/case combo to save money It should have the right amount of power cords right? at least 4 molex 2 for GPU 1 for DVD and 1 for HDD and the cord to go to the motherboard... think thats it..

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Oh dear. This will be easier, and probably end up far better for you if you list what the main purpose of the build is, as well as your budget. I'm not the best at it, but I've seen some of these guys make some scary good builds for the cash.

Elektrey

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Looking for a gaming build, anything better than what I have which is horrible but I want it to last for a while, have GDDR5 and DX11 so it won't go out of date anytime soon so to my conclusion I could get the 5770 for 120 or the GTX 460 for 150 and I'd rather take the GTX 460. This is the cheapest build I could get and im not asking someone to build me one im just asking if everything looks like it would work or would I need anything else? (not counting the DVD drive and HDD I already have). My budget depends because im selling a few things to get some money for a new computer so im just trying to get it as low as possible, as its now at 370$ im just wondering if Im missing something because 370$ seems very cheap for a Mid-High end gaming pc.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

Agreed. Not when you're on a budget though, AMD is the bang for buck king.

The problem you're going to run into here is you're skimping, and skimping hard. I understand a budget is a budget and money doesn't grow on trees, but you're asking for trouble with a few things. Don't ever use included power supplies, first of all. The problem with cheap power supplies is that when they die, they don't just go to sleep. They have a nasty tendency to take other items with them, so you may just end up paying the same price as a quality $100 PSU. Just a word of experience.

Second, the ECS board isn't the best choice either. I've had nothing but bad luck with ECS. That board doesn't have USB 3.0, Crossfire/SLI, or SATA 6GB/s. It's on it's way to EOL quickly. Just my two cents.

Yeah, but in this case, since Bulldozer is coming out in 6-8 months or so, he'll want a new motherboard and CPU around that time anyway. So when the PSU fries them on its way out, it saves him the trouble of trying to sell them on ebay.

I have to second this. ECS boards suck the big Gonzalez unless you're using them for a basic machine where you only need integrated graphics and are never going to overclock or put in a video card. They work fine for that and last for years. But the instant you try to do anything advanced with them, they go batshit crazy for no apparent reason and give you stability problems like there's no tomorrow. I'd go with a different one for sure.

Solution

Elektrey

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
I've just ordered the parts for my computer and after the advice i've changed all the parts alot. My budget is now $600 and this is what I ordered:
Mobo: MSI 870-G45 : Its got unlock feature
Case: NZXT Tempest Evo : Includes 6 fans
PSU: AZZA 650W PSU w/blue led fan 140mm
RAM: 2x2gb g.skill DDR3 desktop 1333Mhz
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4
Plus I ordered 2 blue cathodes
and I have a PCI card that adds 1 IDE and 2 SATA connections
Also a fan controller and note the PSU has 4x SATA 6xMolex and 2xPCIe
I will probably upgrade when I get the money:
Non-stock CPU Heatsink/fan
SATA HDD w/maybe a SSD
Phenom II X6