Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4870x2 2nd gpu not doing anything

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2010 6:12:24 PM

Hey all, I have a 4870x2 running under Win7 x64. I recently started using rivatuner monitor to keep an eye on the card on a second monitor while gaming. Via that monitor, I discovered that the second gpu does not ever get any load, apparently on any of my games. I hadn't noticed before because there never seemed to be a performance hit, but Fallout: New Vegas becomes unplayable with many npc's around me.

I had the latest CCC and 10.9 drivers installed, after discovering this upgraded to 10.9a hotfix, but the issue is not resolved. I have Catalust AI on. Any thoughts or suggestions for other things to try? It seems crazy that I have dual-gpu card that is only using one gpu for games....

More about : 4870x2 2nd gpu

October 21, 2010 7:34:51 PM

You have two 4870's? Crossfire has been enabled in CCC? and ribbon cable connects them?
October 21, 2010 9:48:01 PM

HeroesDieYoung said:
It seems crazy that I have dual-gpu card that is only using one gpu for games....

I reckon that he has the dual-GPU card as he stated.
Related resources
October 21, 2010 10:41:29 PM

bdcrlsn said:
I reckon that he has the dual-GPU card as he stated.

Correct sir, the 4870x2 is a dual-GPU card. The question is why the second gpu doesn't ever get any load.

But hey, at least some people are responding here. I've posting at eggxpert.com and at the amd/ati forums and these are the first responses I've gotten of any kind!
October 21, 2010 11:31:29 PM

Could be a bad Gpu but then again usually you would blue screen if that happens.

A couple things you could try.

An older driver version. 10.4 was pretty xfire friendly same with 10.7.

list of games that you play. SC2 doesn't use the second card as far as i'm aware of...might have been fixed in 10.9

but those are about all that i can think of, how did you get the card? bought brand new or used on ebay or something?
October 22, 2010 12:54:10 AM

I've tested with Fallout: New Vegas, Left 4 Dead 2, and Team Fortress 2.
I just tried those 3 games again with the 10.7b driver, with the same results. Tried ATI Tool monitor as well just to be sure the monitor I had wasn't screwing up.

Will try 10.4 now and post back with results.
October 22, 2010 1:17:33 AM

No dice with 10.4 either. I feel like ATI has flat out stolen money from me by selling me this card.

Appreciate the help/advice though, any other suggestions?

Oh and I missed your question about the purchase, it was bought new from NewEgg.
October 22, 2010 1:13:13 PM

Is your MoBo Crossfire ready?
October 22, 2010 9:05:18 PM

Almost exactly a year, I bought it October 2009. I never before had reason to suspect there might be a problem since it ran all games I threw at it with full settings without issue, until I threw Fallout: New Vegas at it.
October 22, 2010 10:16:18 PM

Well, it should use it.

have you made sure that catalyst A.I under 3d settings is enabled?

Do your frame rates change at all when you enable and disable it?
October 23, 2010 12:59:25 AM

Yea, I've tried setting A.I. to standard and advanced, disabling it doesn't seem to have a measurable effect on fps.

I installed the 10.10 drivers that were released today, and they made no difference either. I'm at a loss.

I'm pretty sure I would experience BSOD or other issues if the second gpu were physically malfunctioning, monitor software reports accurately as catalyst scales the clocks up and down for gaming/not gaming, but it still gets no load.

All of that seems to indicate software, not hardware, so a new card wouldn't make any difference. Plus they're damned expensive.
October 23, 2010 1:04:15 AM

mhelm1 said:
Is your MoBo Crossfire ready?

Well, to answer your question, yes.

However, that doesn't have anything to do with it since it's a multi-gpu card, not multiple cards bridged.

For reference, the mobo is the ASUS Striker II Formula.
October 23, 2010 1:05:13 AM

How dangerous is flashing the BIOS on the card itself? That seems like the last piece of software that could be not functioning properly.
October 23, 2010 2:31:52 AM

OKAY well that didn't go well. I found a slightly newer BIOS version at techpowerup for the master gpu, the only BIOS they had for the slave gpu was older. So I flashed only the master gpu, and that wrought destruction, which I should have figured. Back to original BIOS and the card works again, but with the same issue of course.

Can anyone say whether a BIOS update could plausibly fix this, and if so where I might find BIOSes?

My HD4870x2 is ATI manufactured.
a b C Monitor
October 23, 2010 3:06:17 AM

Have you tried Stress testing (Furmark, Kombuster etc.) and see if the second core does anything at all? Also, did you do a full driversweep in safemode when you switched to 10.4? Try that and see if it helps.
October 23, 2010 6:04:25 AM

Interesting! Using Furmark (Multi-GPU) both gpu's do get tested! Weirdly, the memory and core clocks don't scale up to 750/900 like they're supposed to, but it does prove that the second gpu works.

I will re-test with driver version 10.4 and 10.5 with more thorough cleans in between and post results later. It's too late for me to keep messing with this now. Thanks for the sparkle of hope Timop!
October 23, 2010 7:42:39 AM

Games have the option to enable the second GPU. See if that helps. I never used crossfire or dual GPU cards but it might help what i suggested.
If not, good luck :) . Might try to use warranty to replace the card..
October 23, 2010 9:10:46 AM

The source engine based games should benefit.

10.10's are working for me as I installed them last night and was getting 100% scaling in a game I play. Perhaps you could test using that. Called The Hunter, free to play game and I know it has perfect scaling.
October 23, 2010 11:21:47 PM

@ionut19 - I have never seen such an option, can you give an example of a game that has it or where to find it?

@dipankar2007i - THANK YOU SO MUCH, two of the games I was testing with (Team Fortress 2 and Left4Dead 2) were being run in borderless windowed mode for better alt-tabbing, switched those back to full-screen and immediately had success with second gpu.

For Fallout: New Vegas, on the other hand, I still see only one gpu doing anything. Does anyone know if Fallout supports multi-gpu at all? It seems to have a THOUSAND other problems, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't support multi-gpu, but it makes it close to unplayable with decent AA and other 3D settings.
October 24, 2010 9:31:06 AM

I've seen it in a game, don't remember witch one. "Dual video cards yes/no"

But i did not see that option in most games.

Fallout New Vegas is worse than Fallout 3. It still needs updates to run smooth. Check for updates. And if it works with sli or crossfire i do not know.
August 2, 2012 9:49:21 PM

HeroesDieYoung said:
Hey all, I have a 4870x2 running under Win7 x64. I recently started using rivatuner monitor to keep an eye on the card on a second monitor while gaming. Via that monitor, I discovered that the second gpu does not ever get any load, apparently on any of my games. I hadn't noticed before because there never seemed to be a performance hit, but Fallout: New Vegas becomes unplayable with many npc's around me.

I had the latest CCC and 10.9 drivers installed, after discovering this upgraded to 10.9a hotfix, but the issue is not resolved. I have Catalust AI on. Any thoughts or suggestions for other things to try? It seems crazy that I have dual-gpu card that is only using one gpu for games....

I've finally found a way to fix this.
First of all sorry for necroing but I want to get this info available for people looking for a way to fix this.

Step by step guide:

1 Open Catalyst Control Center
2 Click on the 'Gaming' tab.
3 Click on the '3D Application Settings' tab.
4 Make sure Catalyst AI is enabled and set to 'Advanced
5 Scroll all the way down to 'AMD CrossFireX Mode for 3D Applications'
6 Change it from 'Default mode' to 'Use AMD Pre-defined Profile'
7 Select one of the 3DMark Applications and hit 'Apply' in the bottom right corner

VOILA!

/GOD
a b C Monitor
August 2, 2012 10:10:27 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!