New built computer freezing, MSI P67

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi guys, i just recently built a new sandy bridge computer. Everything in my computer is new except the graphics card. Sometimes my computer would freeze during windows mode, watching youtube or playing games. My computer doesn't freeze all the time, sometimes it can stay on for 5-6 hours without freezing. The kind of freeze im talking about is where your computer doesn't respond to anything, like my mouse doesn't move and all i can see is the display. Even during games it would freeze but not all the time. sometimes i can play for 2 hours straight without any freeze. But when it does freezes during games im able to use ctrl alt delete and it works but sometimes it doesn't work and i have to turn off my computer manually. I have not gotten any kind of blue screen. My temps are fine, i ran prime 95 and got around 48c for 4 hours running prime 95. What do you guys think it can be? Here are my specs and software im using.

i5 2500k
msi p67A-GD65
Corsair Veng 4gigs single stick ram
Corsair 850HX modular power supply
Samsung dvd burner
Samsung F3 1TB hard drive
Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink
ATI 4850 GPU

Software installed:

Windows 7 ultimate, Avast Anti virus, Steam,BC2, ATI 11.2 Catalyst driver, Adobe flash, Punkbuster.

Everything is up to date on software, including the latest msi bios.

As you can see i don't have that much software installed atm because i wanna see what was causing the freeze.
Anyone else having this problem with the same motherboard? or same problem in general.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

well my older computer would do the same thing...it randomly freeze with the same gpu...im just using this gpu for now until i get my GTX 295 tomorrow from Fedex from a friend...you think it's my graphics card doing the freezing? I mean even when im in windows mode it freezes sometimes not just in game i can see my computer still running but the screen is just froze...just now i was playing Battlefield Badcompany 2 for an hour with no problems...Ram is at 1333mhz atm dram voltage 1.472 in bios...everything is at stock settings

Is your MB is a first release version, or is it the Newer version with the "fix" for the SATA II chipset bug.
REF:
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2011/01/31/intel-identifies-chipset-design-error-implementing-solution

Althought they say it develops over time, it must have been relative short time for some users. Not saying this is the problem, but on a outside chance may be.

In any case, if it is the "orignal" MB version, I'd RMA it and get one that will not have this problem downstream (I think the "Fixed" versions are a B3 revision)

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Its the new version..Has the B3 Logo on the motherboard...Well as of now it hasn't crashed yet all day so hopefully something i did may have fixed it.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

yeah i just changed my ram voltage to 1.5 volts..it was at 1.4 earlier. so far i haven't crashed all day so hopefully it worked.