I just finished building my first PC. The PC consists of the following:

I7-950 cpu
ASUS psx58d-m/b
6gb ram
evga gtx570 overclocked-video card
windows 7 64bitKingston 64GB SSD
DVD drive
No Hard drive installed yet, but i ordered a WD 1TB Caviar Black 6.0

I currently have Windows, Starcraft 2 and all drivers installed. i also got a free copy of 3DMark11 with the video card, but when I run the test, I get the following results, which seem low:

3DMark Score P5484
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics score 5405
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physics Score 6266

Combined Score 5092

GraphicsTest1 23.49 FPS

GraphicsTest2 24.57 FPS

GraphicsTest3 33.77 FPS

GraphicsTest4 17.45 FPS

PhysicsTest 19.89 FPS

CombinedTest 23.69 FPS

I am using an old Dell Monitor s199wfp monitor, but i dont think this could be the issue or is it? Is their anything I can do to improve the FPS? I thought gtx570 was powerful, so I figured itd be running near 60fps. Any help would be great.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Your results are good. You'll be able to max out games on your resolution and still get good fps. Synthetic benchmark programs like 3dmark just help you see how powerful your setup is compared to others and doesnt really tell you directly how well you'll do in games.

bigb32

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Thanks for the info. I installed Starcraft 2 and it defaulted to medium settings, but I thought it set to Ultra setting. I did it manually and it worked fine, but I wasn't sure why it defaulted to medium, given the video card I have.