Sign in with
Your question

Industrial 802.11n Wireless bridge non line of sight

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 3, 2010 2:57:03 PM

I am looking for a Industrial 802.11n Wireless bridge non line of sight that will work over mountain terrain. I segment is approx 3 miles down a mountain side and the other is over the top of the mountain approx 1 mile. Anyone know of anything
a b F Wireless
September 3, 2010 5:05:45 PM

No such thing exists yet on this planet. To power a non-directional WiFi signal through a mountrain range you probably need to feed it enough power to light up a medium sun.
m
l
September 3, 2010 5:42:32 PM

hahah alright guess we will try cellular modems
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
September 3, 2010 6:11:42 PM

badincite said:
hahah alright guess we will try cellular modems

That is a much better idea, and very workable. Here is something you can do. If the computers that need to be connected are in the same area, just far from the base station, you can get one cell modem, and a wifi hotspot generator that will create a WiFi area of coverage using the cell data service. So if you have a few computers/other WiFi devices within a few 100 feet of eachother, you can feed them a signal from one modem.

I'm only guessing really at what you are trying to, but it does sound like fun. I never get asked to send a WiFi signal across several miles of mountains.
m
l
September 3, 2010 6:58:14 PM

Looks like Verizon has coverage around there gonna use a bunch of the Sierra Wireless raven-x modems they work awesome. We have used them a bunch, I didnt think they would have coverage up there but luckily they do
m
l
September 30, 2010 1:44:48 AM

900mhz bridges exist that MAY work.. If the mountain between sights is more than about a 300 ft difference, you're probably pounding sand.
Expensive though, but a bridge set. I've gotten over some mountains with them, but at a much closer range.. farthest i've done is about 1.5 miles, and the mountain was about 300 ft higher than either side, that where at basically the same elevation. signal was decent, with about 20db fade margin before the link failed.. However speed is only around 3 - 8 mbps, if thats an issue, but if your considering cellular probably not.
m
l
!