AMD chipsets - why wait for the 900s?

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hey guys as you may know most of the big motherboard manufacturers have AM3+ boards out now but are using 800 series chipsets instead of the 900 series that are supposed to be launching closer to the Zambezi CPU launch. Anyhow just wondering if anyone can explain what the dissadvantages of getting one of these 800 series boards now instead of waiting for the 900s?

Thanks

Solution

The new Hudson M3 (mobile) & D3 (desktop) platforms for Zacate/Llano:
AMD_Hudson-chips_1100x-4.jpg

No real reason to redo sb850. All that SATA 6Gb/s goodness is fed through 4 PCIe lanes (or maybe 3) with the separate USB3 controller chip having it's own dedicated PCIe Gen2 lane (not sure if that lane was taken from the 4 lanes to the sb, or from the 'other' 36 lanes on the nb :lol: ). You may only -FX CrossFire at x16/x15 :ouch:

The big advantages of the 9xx motherboards will be the improved BIOSs and better electricals, improved Turbo, the 42 PCIe Gen2 lanes on the FX, and...

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I believe there is no difference between the 800 and 900 series, as they both come with standard features for the X70, X80, X90 board set-ups. If it's AM3+ it should be fine.

I personally would be leary though. 800 series AM3+ might need a BIOS update as the new chips are rolled out in packs, where-as I'd expect 900 series motherboards to need less updating. But that's just speculation.

The new Hudson M3 (mobile) & D3 (desktop) platforms for Zacate/Llano:
AMD_Hudson-chips_1100x-4.jpg

No real reason to redo sb850. All that SATA 6Gb/s goodness is fed through 4 PCIe lanes (or maybe 3) with the separate USB3 controller chip having it's own dedicated PCIe Gen2 lane (not sure if that lane was taken from the 4 lanes to the sb, or from the 'other' 36 lanes on the nb :lol: ). You may only -FX CrossFire at x16/x15 :ouch:

The big advantages of the 9xx motherboards will be the improved BIOSs and better electricals, improved Turbo, the 42 PCIe Gen2 lanes on the FX, and support for the complete line of AM3 processors and BD Zambezi. Think it might unlock my Sempy 140 ?

How much of 9xx BIOS & goodness creep down into 8xx is hard to say -- fer sure will not be a top priority with all that Hudson rolling out on top of the Great X90FX Swansong.

The sweetness of the 990FX will come with a high price. 990GX most likely comes in $130 and up. I'm a good candidate for a 980G from $90-$110 (with a $150 new stepping 1090T BE) as I wait 7-8 months for the real deals on BD and 990FX (or roughly just before the Trinity/Komodo/Chipset rumors are really heating up!)

and BY GOSH those OEM pin-heads BETTER offer a RED PCB on the final FX flagship !!!

Solution