Upgrade suggestion

westside_cook

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Hey guys, first off thanks for reading this. I have an old computer that was sitting in a corner for about two years because i thought my mobo was fried. Recently found out it was the memory that was bad. Figures - my luck- Anyways, I was looking to see yourguys input on what might be worth the upgrade. Before i post the specs, let me say that im not looking to do do a whole new mobo/cpu upgrade im just trying to maximize what i have and unlock its full potential for a reasonable price considering parts should be cheper by now.

EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard - A1 Version, NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID
MPN: 132-CK-NF78-A1

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor HH80562PH0678MK - 2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
MPN: OCZ2N800SR4GK

XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra Video Card - 768MB DDR3, SLI Ready, PCI Express, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card
MPN: PVT80USHF9

Cooler Master Hyper TX2 CPU Cooling Fan - Socket 775, AM2, 939
MPN: RR-CCH-L9U1-GP

Aspire 600W DarkSide Alum Black PSU - Blue Sleeves
MPN: ATX-AS600W-BL

Some old cheap 250gb hdd which i threw in there to test but havent taken out yet.

As i said, one stick of ram is bad so currently running on 2 gig, in the RMA process as we speak.
I know that hdd is bad but i am thinking about replacing it with -OCZ OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G Vertex 2 Solid State Drive - 60GB, 2.5", SATA II

My thoughts
This is my first custom built pc and thank youguys for the help. I want to overclock, just slightly, but learning that seems a bit daunting to me. A question for youguys. Is overclocking safe with SSD's i know i could google and read this and that but i trust the knowledge on this site and seeing my specs my provide a better answer, particularly seeing the cooler i use. I also understand that i probably am not fully utilizing this graphics card but when i bought it they were expensive and i only have so much $$$ so thats why i dont have the 3 way sli configuration.

Thanks in advance.

PS, sorry if i post this in wrong section.

Well for your SSD instead of the Vertex 2, I suggest going with the S599, if you live in america or Canada, the S599 is fairly cheap. Fast too.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/adata-s599-100gb-ssd-review/7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211485&cm_re=S599-_-20-211-485-_-Product

Overclocking is safe with SSD's, for a second I thought you said you were going to overclock THE SSD. Lol
Another thing, upgrade your heatsink fan. I suggest going with the Hyper 212+ for only 30$ this should allow you to overlock quite a bit more than that old TX2. For this, don't go to newegg. Go to Amazon, free shipping and a lower price.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Universal-Heat-Pipe/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1292705995&sr=8-1

Ummm as for anything else if you could get a DDR3 mobo and get DDR3 ram there are a few that are pretty decent and will support LGA 775. Like gigabyte or Asus. Some pretty cheap.

Anyway, I won't suggest those till I know your budget.

westside_cook

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Thanks for your suggestions. I think ill pick up that cooler you mentioned. As for the SSD, besides the price is there a reason i should take it over the ocz one? Reliability? faster speeds? It is out of stock anyways but ill look it up on some other sites. I really want to just stick with same cpu and mobo because i dont have that much cash currently. When i do decide on a new mobo, it will be a complete new rig so that isnt for awhile. my budget is $200. I cant afford anything more right now cuz my wifes teeth are higher priority. Bills Bills Bills . I guess my question should have been whats the biggest bang for my buck upgrade? My guess is the SSD, but thats why im asking the experts, so im not relying on my guess.

Well with only a 200$ budget I'd lay this out for yah.

Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 800 4Gigs of Dual channel ram 70$ + 20$ MIR (maybe on the MIR it's nice though if they honor it):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220396

That's to replace your dead ones.

The Hyper 212+ I recommended.

And I actually don't recommend an SSD on your budget, just wait till you have enough money. At the moment, do you have a IDE or SATA drive? Then I'll suggest an HDD.