Sign in with
Your question

Dual Channel RAM setup?

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2010 4:12:15 PM

Hey, I ordered this motherboard, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I currently have 2 1gb sticks of DDR2 800 RAM and as I ordered that new motherboard I ordered a single 2 gb stick of the same brand and type of ram. I plan to buy a 2nd 2 gb stick to replace the 2 1 gbs, but in the meantime, how do I set the 3 sticks up to get optimal performance with dual channel? Thanks guys!

More about : dual channel ram setup

a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 4:25:26 PM

With 3 sticks of ram in a dual channal mobo it wont run to its optimal performance, you should buy ram in pairs ( 2 sticks of 1 gb each or or 2 sticks of 2 gb each ) adding a thrid stick in a dual channal mobo will slow you down.

m
l
December 18, 2010 5:04:41 PM

Okay, so should I put in the single 2 gb stick until I get a second? Or should I put the 2 1 gbs in til I get the second 2 gb?

And which 2 slots do I put them in to make them run dual channeled? Same colored or opposite colored?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2010 5:38:32 PM

Use the two 1gb sticks untill you get a 2nd 2 gb stick, then you can use all the sticks.

Most ram will go in the first slot by the CPU then the 3rd slot, but read your MOBO manual to make sure thats how the ram works with your mobo.

m
l
December 18, 2010 6:24:44 PM

Okay! Thanks very much man! I appreciate all the help! You answered my questions thoroughly and quickly.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2010 7:27:27 PM

While it is faster in dual channel mode, it is not a huge difference, at all. If you can get by just running 2 gig, that is fine. If you find that you are running short on memory and the PC is hitting the hard drive a lot, you may want to install the last stick of memory anyway. Even if it does slow you down not running dual channel, it will still be vastly faster than the PC using the hard drive for virtual memory.
What OS are you using? Unless you are running a 64 bit OS, it won't do you any good to install more than 4 gig.
m
l
December 18, 2010 7:32:30 PM

Im on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2010 11:57:32 AM

metroidmen said:
Im on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

If it's not too late, and you don't have a ton of stuff loaded up already, why don't you reinstall using the 64bit version?
m
l
December 19, 2010 12:07:59 PM

I'd say it's too late. :p 
m
l
!