Sign in with
Your question

A new pc 2600 USD

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2010 4:40:55 PM

Hi, first post over here :) 
so plz dont close if it the wrong place to post this :sarcastic: 

I am planning on building a new pc soon, I7 based.
CPU:
Intel Core i7 950

CPU Cooler:
here is my realy big probelem I am planing to take my CPU up over 4.0Ghz and I dont want it to get to hot (and where I am living its hot now in the winter the air is about 15-10 degrees on the cold days in the summer its 30+ so it pretty hot).

at first I tough about getting a mugen2 and add 3 fans to it (so it will have 4 of them)
then I heard from a friend of mine that he got NH-D14 (not realy sure if he got 2 or 3 fans on it) and he manage to get his I7 930 up to 4.2Ghz and on load his CPU goes up to 75 degrees.

anther solution I tough to get is a corsair H70 but when I saw the NH-D14 is going up over 70 degrees and I am pretty sure with a mugen I wont get any better and it will also have more noise I was sure I wont get the H70 which wont let me go that far with my CPU.

a NH-D14 is also huge and 70 degrees isnt the best degrees so I want to get a good water cooling around 240$ if needed 260$ if anyone help me with it, it will be awesome :D 
I am not sure I will be able to fined any water cooling so if you can suggest me a few possibility it will be even better
also it must feet in the HAF-X :sarcastic: 

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE X58-UD3 (3WAY SLI\CF support)
I have anther i7 based system at home with a UD5-EXTREME (rev1) I think I will probably use it and put this 1 in the other system.

Video Card:
2X GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 570

Memory:
3x2GB Mushkin XP Black Frostbyte Series Triple Channel
price: 200$
or
3x2GB Mushkin Copperhead Series Triple Channel CL8
price: 220$
or
3x2GB Kingston HyperX Triple Channel
price:221$
dunno what to take I think I will go for the Mushkin Black.

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S

DVD Burner:
just some simple LG DVD 35$

Power Supply:
Corsair 850W not sure if I should go on the HX series or go for the AX which cost 50$ more.

Case:
HAF-X

~ thx for anyone who help :)  :)  :) 

edit:
forgot to ask I heard their are new intel CPUs comming soon (first quarter of 2011) and I want to know it it worth waiting for them (I dont have a problem waiting if they will proform any better then i5 and i7 for gaming and multi tasking (but mainly for gaming :p ))

More about : 2600 usd

December 18, 2010 4:44:59 PM

Quote:
Video Card:

Unless you 100% need CUDA
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6970-rade...
Quote:
But wait, there’s more. What about the Radeon HD 6900s in CrossFire? After all, AMD claims to have made some notable improvements to its scaling.

You’re only going to buy two high-end graphics cards if you’re running at the top resolutions with visual details maxed out. That’s where the 2 GB frame buffers featured on both 6900-series cards come in handy. In many cases, two $300 Radeon HD 6950s outperform a pair of $350 GeForce GTX 570s, saving you $100 total for better frame rates.

December 18, 2010 4:50:24 PM

ranX3 said:
Hi, first post over here :) 
so plz dont close if it the wrong place to post this :sarcastic: 

I am planning on building a new pc soon, I7 based.
CPU:
Intel Core i7 950

CPU Cooler:
here is my realy big probelem I am planing to take my CPU up over 4.0Ghz and I dont want it to get to hot (and where I am living its hot now in the winter the air is about 15-10 degrees on the cold days in the summer its 30+ so it pretty hot).

at first I tough about getting a mugen2 and add 3 fans to it (so it will have 4 of them)
then I heard from a friend of mine that he got NH-D14 (not realy sure if he got 2 or 3 fans on it) and he manage to get his I7 930 up to 4.2Ghz and on load his CPU goes up to 75 degrees.

anther solution I tough to get is a corsair H70 but when I saw the NH-D14 is going up over 70 degrees and I am pretty sure with a mugen I wont get any better and it will also have more noise I was sure I wont get the H70 which wont let me go that far with my CPU.

a NH-D14 is also huge and 70 degrees isnt the best degrees so I want to get a good water cooling around 240$ if needed 260$ if anyone help me with it, it will be awesome :D 
I am not sure I will be able to fined any water cooling so if you can suggest me a few possibility it will be even better
also it must feet in the HAF-X :sarcastic: 

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE X58-UD3 (3WAY SLI\CF support)
I have anther i7 based system at home with a UD5-EXTREME (rev1) I think I will probably use it and put this 1 in the other system.

Video Card:

Memory:
3x2GB Mushkin XP Black Frostbyte Series Triple Channel
price: 200$
or
3x2GB Mushkin Copperhead Series Triple Channel CL8
price: 220$
or
3x2GB Kingston HyperX Triple Channel
price:221$
dunno what to take I think I will go for the Mushkin Black.

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S

DVD Burner:
just some simple LG DVD 35$

Power Supply:
Corsair 850W not sure if I should go on the HX series or go for the AX which cost 50$ more.

Case:
HAF-X

~ thx for anyone who help :)  :)  :) 

edit:
forgot to ask I heard their are new intel CPUs comming soon (first quarter of 2011) and I want to know it it worth waiting for them (I dont have a problem waiting if they will proform any better then i5 and i7 for gaming and multi tasking (but mainly for gaming :p ))

It's worth waiting for the new sandy bridge processors. I would second the 2x6950s since they scale very well and save $100 over the GTX570s not to mention do well in the power draw department. Although I've read that they can be rather loud.

For the cooler go for the Noctua NH-D14. It is the best air cooler you can buy
Related resources
December 18, 2010 4:56:20 PM

ok I will wait for the new processors.
I am pretty sure on the 570's. the 6950's will only save me like 50$.

also if I go for a water cooling is their anything I can get 240-260$+\- that will also feet in the HAF-X ?

if not I will probably go for the NH.
December 18, 2010 5:06:58 PM

ranX3 said:
ok I will wait for the new processors.
I am pretty sure on the 570's. the 6950's will only save me like 50$.

also if I go for a water cooling is their anything I can get 240-260$+\- that will also feet in the HAF-X ?

if not I will probably go for the NH.

I don't know a lot about watercooling so hopefully somebody else posts a response for that. I personally prefer the gtx570s but the 6950's just show good value so I thought I'd recommend them
December 18, 2010 5:09:12 PM

I build with both red and green camps and if a client needs CUDA i would look at single GTX 460(entry)/570 (high) but no CUDA + multi GPU HD 6850CF (entry)/HD6950CF (high)
December 18, 2010 5:28:59 PM

thx for the comments :) 

only 2 questions now since I will probably be waiting for the new processors.
the same question about the water cooling,
and also should I go for the HX850W or AX850W and save 50$ ?
or maybe just go for a non modular 850/950TX ? both of them will cost way less then the HX\AX
December 18, 2010 5:44:09 PM

ranX3 said:
thx for the comments :) 

only 2 questions now since I will probably be waiting for the new processors.
the same question about the water cooling,
and also should I go for the HX850W or AX850W and save 50$ ?
or maybe just go for a non modular 850/950TX ? both of them will cost way less then the HX\AX

Modular is a much better way to go especially with a high end build like this. Less clutter and better airflow. I would say still with the HX or look at the XFX 850W which is only $150 with a $20 mail in rebate

+1 to batuchka's gpu breakdown
December 18, 2010 5:48:28 PM

jasonh8806 said:
Modular is a much better way to go especially with a high end build like this. Less clutter and better airflow. I would say still with the HX or look at the XFX 850W which is only $150 with a $20 mail in rebate

+1 to batuchka's gpu breakdown

I dont have this where I will be buying the pc.
they got a 850w golden X SS 25$ less then the corsair 850AX
December 18, 2010 5:59:42 PM

ranX3 said:
I dont have this where I will be buying the pc.
they got a 850w golden X SS 25$ less then the corsair 850AX

Which one is $50 dollars less where you are buying since on newegg the hx is 170 and the ax is 190

I'm assuming the hx is the cheaper of the two so go with it
December 18, 2010 6:06:41 PM

jasonh8806 said:
Which one is $50 dollars less where you are buying since on newegg the hx is 170 and the ax is 190

I'm assuming the hx is the cheaper of the two so go with it

the ax cost 50$ more then the hx and the SS GOLDEN X cost 25$ore then the HX and 25 less then the ax

but if I am not wrong the hx is semi modular and the goldenX and the ax are fully modular.
December 18, 2010 7:12:41 PM

I'm not sure about the semi-modular statement but I still think you should stick with the HX and save the extra money
December 18, 2010 8:13:20 PM

twin 570s?? Assume you are playing on at least a 1080P monitor, and , preferably, a 30"/2560x1600...

At that res, where even twin 570's are the bottleneck, overclocking your cpu is a waste of time, quite honestly....you are likely to see1-2 fps increase; not worth the thermal wear and tear on the cpu, IMO....

The 950 seems a good choice, you can always note the near identical performance at high res at stock and OC'd clock speeds, and, make your own choice as to wether the water cooling/exhorbitant OCs are really worth it with the type of monster video hardware you have coming...
December 19, 2010 3:06:21 AM

mdd1963 said:
twin 570s?? Assume you are playing on at least a 1080P monitor, and , preferably, a 30"/2560x1600...

At that res, where even twin 570's are the bottleneck, overclocking your cpu is a waste of time, quite honestly....you are likely to see1-2 fps increase; not worth the thermal wear and tear on the cpu, IMO....

The 950 seems a good choice, you can always note the near identical performance at high res at stock and OC'd clock speeds, and, make your own choice as to wether the water cooling/exhorbitant OCs are really worth it with the type of monster video hardware you have coming...

I play 1080P (FULL HD) why does overclocking my cpu is a waste of time ? their is a bottle neck between the CPU and the graphic cards isnt their ?
I might use sometimes FULL HD X2 on 2 monitors.
December 19, 2010 9:39:07 AM

Ranx3, what he's saying is that there is NO POINT OVERCLOCKING your i7 950.
You ought to wait for SandyBridge - As you asked, does it have performance gains over the i5 / i7 in gaming - It does, in EVERY aspect ESPECIALLY gaming :D . Big gains too!

Anyways, hes saying there no point spending like $400 getting all this cooling and stuff just for a 2-3% FPS increase. Even the i7s are so good that 2x GTX 570's are still the bottleneck therefore the CPU doesn't really need to be overclocked as the gains will not be worth the strain and wear and tear you'll put your system through. It would be better to overclock the graphics cards instead as they are the bottleneck if you do find that your FPS is too low / you want to go up to higher settings.

I agree - High end GPU's were tested with an i5 750 @ 2.66GHZ and 4.0 GHz and the difference was 35--> 37fps etc... Not worth it.

Lastly, theres no point splashing out on 2x GTX 570's and an i7 if you aren't going to use 2 monitors or atleast single, possible dual 30" 2560x1600 resolution monitor. Because 1080P requires much less, perhaps not even a single GTX 570 for even the highest end games. So 2 of them means killer FPS and killer quality ... to the extreme, so you'd better invest that extra $$ you have left on a 2nd monitor or a 30" 2560x1600 res monitor, instead of getting CPU cooling -.-
December 19, 2010 12:15:40 PM

the cpu still plays a part at 'lower' 1080p res, but, twin 570s will crank out some some serious fps in anything, such that spending any more on exotic cpu cooling for an additional OC'd 300-500 MHz only to see framerates increase from 70 to 73 fps should be unnoticeable....

Diminishing returns...

I will see if I can find/post some benchmarks to illustrate this at 1080p res....
December 20, 2010 11:03:24 AM

ok thx allot for the help I will wait for the new CPUs and I will probably just buy a NH and add to it 1 fan and also it will help the air in my case taking air from the bottom of the case and sending it straight up to the 2 fans at the top of the case :) 

I have 3 monitors at home all 1080 res (only 2 now but I will buy anther 1 once I buy the new PC).
and I can use them, once in a while to get some incredible gaming experience :) 
!