PSU fault for crashing? Or CPU?

Newbiekid

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Just 5mins ago, i was playing battlefield bad company 2, when my screen went black and everything shuts down. I current have 2 issues with this system.

1) My PSU(Corsair HX650) already had a tick tick tick noise, sometimes theres no noise,sometimes its quite soft,sometimes it quite loud. I did bring it to back to the shop i purchased it but it was tested with No error.

2) When removing the PSU,my CPU cooler was blocking one of the wire and i removed the cpu cooler, hence i did not add a new layer of thermal paste as the shop i bought it from kept the paste for themselves. I did not have time to get a new paste and used a software to monitor the temperature. The temperature were still normal.

Now i am not sure if the PSU just failed, or the CPU overheated . Nothing happens when i press the power button.

IT does sound like a PSU issue - generally they dont "tick" unless a relay is going bad, or possibly the fan motor was going out.

As far as your second question: its not uncommon to remove the heat sink and replace it without reapplication of compound. I know DELL doesn't, local shops don't (per tech choice). However, in all cases, you SHOULD :).