"value" top gamer build

Ok so I pretty much decided on a build for me which is http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/301091-31-6950-final-setup-order-today

I am also trying to piece together a more budget oriented setup for my brother. He does the same gaming I do but has a little less to spend.

How does the following look, keep in mind if u make suggestions make sure its not more than max 100 dollars extra?

PhenomII 1090T 6x3,20GHz (Turbo 3.60GHz)
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AM3 motherboard
Arctic Alpine64 GT low-noise cpu cooler
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 DualChannel RAM
Western Digital 1TB SATA3 6Gb/s Fluid Silent (7200rpm)
AMD HD6970 2GB
Seasonic 750 W 80+ silver ceritfied
Coolermaster HAF 922

I figured going this route he would be set for all gaming atm, and he shouldnt feel so bad ditching his mobo as I have to do on my setup to get the new line of CPUS (bulldozer for him , sandy bridge for me) once it is needed.

His upgrade path seems a bit better than mine, since his current mobo is very good value/lowcost, and when cpu upgrade is needed he can get a similar value am3+ socket for bulldozer and a new single graphic card. Where as I need to replace more expensive cpu/mobo in my setup.

I opted for some quality psu/case etc which he can use for many years. I picked 8gb ram cause i got a good deal, but I guess 4gb would have been sufficient :d

He is also gaming on 1920 x 1080 and only using it for gaming.
12 answers Last reply
More about value gamer build
  1. I think the phenom 6 core is a terrible pick for gaming.

Check the comparisons for games:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=191

Something based on an Intel i5-760 would perform much better.

I like the other parts though.

That said, I would wait a couple of weeks for sandy bridge to launch on Jan 5.

The 2500K will be one heck of a gaming cpu.
  2. He wants it for gaming now in holidays :(

Same for me on my setup really,....always something new anyway.

Regarding AMD pick, I just find intel setups generally cost more especially when u want a similar quality mobo for an intel setup. Also figured while i5 760 performs equal to 1090 in most games now, surely within a year or so more games will benefit from 6 cores?

It is pretty much the same deal when core2quad came out. People were telling me it was a bad buy cause no games used more than 2 cores, but in the end IMO it was worth it, kind of thinking the same here.

+ the cpu is kinda cheap atm, and once its insufficient in what 3 years? he can go bulldozer instead. It should be pretty easy to oc close to 4ghz
  3. 1090 may do ok why not check on p2 970 black edition? Only a quad, but i think its 3.5 ghz stock.....Your call.
  4. ohiou_grad_06 said:
    1090 may do ok why not check on p2 970 black edition? Only a quad, but i think its 3.5 ghz stock.....Your call.

I will take a look :)
  5. No HC render/encode/compile/vdeo edit just the 955BE would suffice ^^
  6. batuchka said:
    No HC render/encode/compile/vdeo edit just the 955BE would suffice ^^

+1

the x4 955BE beats a x6 in gaming.
  7. It might beat it now, but if u dont change CPU for the next , lets say 3 years, I have afeeling the x6 will become better once more games gets optimized for the extra cores?

Just like it was with core2duo > core2quad?
  8. Be careful, remember than P2 955 BE has 3.5GHZ but each unit of GHZ does less than the i5 750's 2.66GHZ. so ghz =/= ghz, they arent apples for apples.

Like my ole PC 2.8ghz Pentium 4 has nothing on... my i 3 laptop @ 2.13ghz
  9. you have to understand that any game out today can run great on a good dual core chip.

Games have yet to fully transition to 4 cores, let alone 6 cores.

I would say that in 3 years, there will be a few games that will take advantage of 6 cores, but I am willing to bet that a quad-core will still have no problem keeping up.

And fyi, there are still core2duo's that have no problem maxing out the games of today.
  10. BD isn't coming to AM3 anyways, so don't think you can just drop it in. I agree that moving to the x4s is a good move. More so when you consider that you'd then have the $$$ to buy a real cooler.
  11. Ok thanks going intel og x4 then.
  12. About the HD 6970 is there a specific reason for going with this card rather than going CF with 2X 6850's? Both setups have a similar price but the CF 6850 setup wins in every gaming benchmark except for Metro 2033 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950-cayman,2818.html

If your planning on CFing the 6970 soon then I can understand why you made such a choice but if that is the case is that really needed?
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems