Sign in with
Your question

How much spare power does my PSU have?

Last response: in Components
March 14, 2011 11:18:13 AM

I'm considering upgrading my Video card (currently integrated) but my PSU is really low powered (220w), however Ive spoken to people who say running a HD5570 card will be fine on the PSU, I want to be sure before I do anything though.

Is there anyway to find out how much spare power my PSU has or how much each component is using?

More about : spare power psu

March 14, 2011 2:46:06 PM

yes their is, but don't put all your faith in just one calculator. The above posted is one of my favorites, but their are many others. What kind of PSU are you using right now? what cpu? how many hdds, o.d.s, etc. keep in mind that if the power supply isnt 80 plus certified, then you wont see even 80% of its rated power at full strain. And the longer you've had the psu, the more degraded it will be and the less output you'll get. I just had this same dilemma with my system. The best place to start would be to list your computer specs. We can figure it out from there
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2011 3:00:58 PM

If a PSU isn't 80+ certified, assume 70% efficency.

So 70% of 220w is only about 154w, to put that in perspective.

So no, I wouldn't try using ANY dedicated PCI-E GPU with that PSU.
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2011 11:22:15 AM

electric6978 said:
yes their is, but don't put all your faith in just one calculator. The above posted is one of my favorites, but their are many others. What kind of PSU are you using right now? what cpu? how many hdds, o.d.s, etc. keep in mind that if the power supply isnt 80 plus certified, then you wont see even 80% of its rated power at full strain. And the longer you've had the psu, the more degraded it will be and the less output you'll get. I just had this same dilemma with my system. The best place to start would be to list your computer specs. We can figure it out from there

OCZ SXS 600w
Not 80+ certified, does provide 80+ efficiency.
And was able to provide almost 23% more power than it's rated for, not 20% less.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/451

There's some good info here
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDFAQs

!