Someone help please..

dqp023

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Okay so i just got a computer from newegg yesterday, it's an ibuypower prebuilt desktop. So i start using it and sometimes it will randomly go to a black screen, and cause the computer to restart, the fans and Neon lights in the case stay on while this happens. Yesterday it was doing it while i was just browsing the internet, or looking in the control panel it also happened a few times when i was in Steam. So i turned it off for the night, and power it up in the morning and it was going fine for about 3 or 4 hours, all i was doing was downloading a game from Steam, so then the game (Modern Warfare 2) downloads, and i try to play it and everytime it works up untill right before you start playing, it shows the screen where it is loading the map, and then it goes to the black screen either while it's loading, or right when the loading bar gets full. Sometimes it will let me get into the task manager, and sometimes it totally restarts my computer. Also i can hear sound when it is on this black screen, and I can use the Monitor buttons like menu, volume etc, and those will show on the monitor but my desktop stuff won't show up. I've been googling everything, and i've seen stuff about overheating so i downloaded speedfan and all the temp's are fine, there usually lower then the normal actually (maybe that could be bad idk). I'd also like to add that i pretty much know nothing when it comes to computers, i was hoping to be able to just plug this up and go, which is why i bought a prebuilt, rather than trying to build one. Sorry for the long story i just wanted to be as detailed as possible. Also in the bag there was an ASUS HDD cable, do i need that or not? And there are these 8 black things with two little silver screw type things on each of them, idk what they are. Once againg sorry for the long story, and my computer illiteracy. Any ideas at all will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I have all the lastest updates, and drivers as far as i know.

Here are the specs

AMD Phenom II X4 965
ATI Radeon 5770 1gb
AMD 770 chipset
4 GB RAM DDR3
700 PSU
Windows 7 64-bit
ASUS 21.5 MS228 LED monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227258 Here is a link to it just incase you need more details, it's the gamer extreme 555D3.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Could be anything. Heat is often the culprit in these cases but honestly if you can just email newegg and tell them the issues you're having and there should be no problem getting an RMA. Don't waste time trying to fix problems with a pre-built pc, let them deal with it.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
The 8 black things are probably the replacement covers for the PCI slots on the back of the case. You don't need the HDD cable your machine came with SATA drives that cable just comes with all motherboards. If you bought a pre-built so you wouldn't have to mess with it then why mess with it? Just call them and tell them what it's doing and RMA it.

Try using driversweeper and then reinstalling the newest catalyst drivers from the AMD website, but honestly if it's a brand new prebuilt machine it's pretty unlikely to be a driver issue, they are all clean installs and they built houndreds of these, it's more likely a hardware issue and I would just return the thing.

dqp023

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Yea i just didn't know if maybe it was a simple fix or something, but it just did the black screen again while i was browsing the internet. And here are the problem details.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8003F5D010
BCP2: FFFFF88003D3FF5C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 000000000000000D
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\102110-24086-01.dmp
C:\Users\dee\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-36207-0.sysdata.xml

Looks like i'll be talking to newegg soon.