New PC Build thoughts (gaming), comments & also Vid card question

TheBluFunk

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Hello,

This is my first post ever. I have not bought or built a new PC in over 6 years.

I'm looking to build myself a little rig that will keep me going for a little while or more!

Here are the details of what I'm looking at buying and I will then follow up with my Graphic Card question!

*** Please I beg you, I am very open to any and all comments and suggestions for building a more appropriate or logical rig in terms of component selection, etc... Feel free to chime in! :) ***

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Edition
Ram: 8 Gigs (2x4GB) of Corsair DDR3, 1600MHz XMS3 with classic heat spreader
PSU: Corsair HX Series CMPSU- 850w
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Now the Video card is one of the areas I am a bit torn on.
I thought that I would go with the:
Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI (1gig)- GTX460

BUT .... Now I am wondering if I should be going with an ATI Graphics card since my motherboard & Processor is AMD based. Would I benefit from sticking with ATI(AMD) or just go ahead with the Nvidia GTX460?
***I don't think I will ever utilize SLI or Crossfire. Don't plan on ever having more than one vid card at once.***

I would like to think that my system would be used for gaming. Primarily gaming but not only gaming. I don't want to NOT be able to play any games that comes out in the near future.

If you guys could provide me with video card advice as well as overall new system build approach, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure that there are tons of opinions and variable directions I could go with this. I would love to know if my choices are sound and fit well together.

Am I on the right track with the above noted components? or am I way out in the boonies ! :)

Thanks again! :)

TheBluFunk

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Sorry ! I noticed the preferred template.
Here it is. I tried to complete it as best as I could.

Hope that this helps!

Thanks again to everybody! :)

Approximate Purchase Date: Dec 2010 or Jan 2011

Budget Range: approx 1000$ to 1500$- Preferable closer to 1000$ since I probably want to buy a new Monitor

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet, watching movies.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers(optional),

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: http://www.canadacomputers.com/

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU, Corsair PSU, Coolermaster HAF922 Case

Overclocking: No / Maybe... If I do, I will be very very very minimal or not at all. No risks for me !

SLI or Crossfire: No / Maybe... probably a NO

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 OR 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: Will Probably Install Windows 7 64 Bit.

A single GTX460 is 'ok' at 1080P in most games, but, pushing it on Crysis at that res with AA/AF, if you are a fan of the frame robbing AA/AF...

If you can possibly swing the cost difference of a 570, I'd try hard to get one,given your preferred resolution and desire for a single card solution....

A Pair of 460s in SLI is still quite nice...

Up to you to ponder the benchmarks and choose (difficult to do!) on cost vs. performance value....