Shutdown Issues

leky411

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I have searched the internet for the last month and have come up with nothing.

I920 running stock at the moment
EVGA 3X 758 MOBO
6GB OCZ 1600 RAM
Corsair HX850 Power Supply
V8 Cooler
HAF 932 Case
WIN 7 64bit
Saphire 5850

If the PC runs for a couple hours and then I do a shutdown at the end of the night usually after playing a game or watching video the OS will shut down, but the fans will keep spinning and will not stop until. I hit the power supply switch in the back. No errors are reported. I thought this was an overclock issue, so I reset cmos but the problem continued on standard settings.

I then realized this started happening after upgrading to ATIs new driver for my card. I tried going back to the old driver but then the driver kept crashing while I watched videos.

Formatted the drive (it was time) and installed everything fresh with the new ati driver. Problem still occurs if pc runs for a few hours. I am running out of idea especially since this has happen in the past and I fixed it. Now I don't remember how.

Any suggestions?

I have had this system for over a year with no problems. Its been running smoothly for some time. I try to keep all my drivers up to date.

your cpu might have burned off most of the thermal paste/pad if heat sink not quite locked down for extended period of time...

I'd get a tube of arctic silver, reapply carefully (i.e., ensure none oozing out the sides, it's highly conductive!), then run Prime95 looking at core temps....

leky411

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Thank you for the suggestion, but I am running arctic silver already, and silver based thermal compounds do not burn up because of silvers high melting point. I took a look at my temps both at idle and at full load with standard settings and overclocked and the numbers remain the same. I am running a Cooler Master V8
cooler.

38 Idle
62 Load

At the current moment I went ahead and rolled back the ATI driver to the one Windows found when I did a clean install it is the 8.791 driver and hopefully this will solve the problem. The 8.801 driver that came out in November is when this problem started. I will let you know if this fixes the issue. The PC will run all day.