Your question

HD 6870 which brand to go with?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 22, 2010 5:56:41 AM

Hi,

Getting ready to build a new system, most likley it'll be:
- i7 950
- ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366
- 6GB DD3 (still researching which brand)
- intel 80GB SSD (boot drive) + 2 1TB in raid for storage
- Antec P180 (will use from old build)
- Win 7 64

And I was wondering which brand should I go with, I would prefer to stay with well known ie. Asus, Gigabyte, Sapphire...
What is most preferable brand here in the community?

Thanks!

More about : 6870 brand

October 22, 2010 6:15:06 AM

The Asus DirectCU version would be a good choice.
m
l
October 22, 2010 1:28:28 PM

"- intel 80GB SSD (boot drive) + 2 1TB in raid for storage " ???
Asus will be a good choice, are you going to be shopping tomorrow?
If not wait a few days and lets get a good look at all the models coming out.... right now it's like just about 4 or 5 Sub vendors.....
"Let the Game Begin"......
Go for a 120GB SSD..... 80's going to run out in no time even if the games are installed on another drive.....

And why's the raid on the 1 TB thing?
No need for that......
The drives would be fast enough if you're not booting from them anyways.....
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2010 7:56:11 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I was waiting for 6xxx series to come out and then I wanted to buy everything and put it together. I can wait until more models come out, but $250 is about what I was thinking to spend on a GC.
Are thinking to wait for new series?

Only resaon why I choose Intel was that from reviews they seem to be most reliable. All of the other brands have lot of unit which fail. Unless you can point to something that I missed.

Right know I have 2 x 500GB in raid and I like the speed. If you guys think 1TB is fast enough then I can save money on that and put it toward something else.
m
l
October 24, 2010 8:49:16 PM

If i were you id go with a WD VelociRaptor 150gb for your boot drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the card I’ve got a Sapphire 6870 on the way. From what I have gathered about these cards that were released it really comes down to personal preference, warrantee, and customer service. The XFX and MSI are 10-20 dollars more than the rest of the field. With registration the XFX card has a lifetime warrantee available. Like I said tho I just decided to save myself the 20 bucks and get the Sapphire model.
m
l
Anonymous
November 6, 2010 7:46:12 AM

Just received my XFX 6870 and installed it!

While im quite happy with the card, I was a bit bummed that the card didnt come with ANY cables..

The sapphire comes with adapters to convert the mini dp to dp and dvi to vga, etc

The XFX doesnt come with any adapters.. which makes the dp cable I just purchased almost useless..
m
l
November 7, 2010 5:42:57 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking to go with either Asus or Gigabyte but both are out of stock at newegg. That's where I want to order all of my parts.

Looking at reviews for Sapphire model seems like lot of people are happy with it.
How's Sapphire support when it comes issue and RMA's ?
Are Sapphire products reliable?
m
l
November 7, 2010 7:41:55 AM

I believe they are all reference cards at this point so the main difference will be the warranty. Sapphire has a good reputation.
m
l
November 7, 2010 8:43:34 PM

It would be if it was available.
m
l
!