Can't download pictures using 20D and EOS Digital Software

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 21, 2005 8:59:25 PM

I'm unable to download pictures using my D20 and EOS Digital Software.
When I plug the USB in, the software sees the camera but then I get a
message that says the camera is "too busy" and that I need to turn off
the LCD and try again. The LCD was never on and it doesn't matter
anyway because I can't get past that windown. Any advice would be
appreciated.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:19:17 PM

Tim Bollup wrote:

> I'm unable to download pictures using my D20 and EOS Digital
Software.
> When I plug the USB in, the software sees the camera but then I get a
> message that says the camera is "too busy" and that I need to turn
off
> the LCD and try again. The LCD was never on and it doesn't matter
> anyway because I can't get past that windown. Any advice would be
> appreciated.

Advice #1: Call Canon tech support; they would know more about this
than any random stranger on USENET might. Better turn-around time too,
and likely no snarky smart-ass responses like this.

Advice #2: Buy a $20 card reader like everyone else. It's so much
faster.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 10:46:29 PM

Plug in camera to USB port
Observe camera detection--don't use the windows tools
run EOS-Viewer
walk file tree to DESTINATION directory
click on 20D
click on'+1'
click on 'DCIM'
select all
drag and drop to destination directory
wait
January 22, 2005 3:16:40 AM

Using a card reader would definitely solve the problem of downloading from
the CF card, but you still have issues with the camera if you can't just
plug in and transfer. I rarely use my card reader because 2/3 of the time,
I only have 10-20 shots to download, and it's faster for me to plug in and
transfer than fiddle with removing the card, etc...

Anyway, if you're using windows XP, you can try setting the camera's
communication mode to "PTP" (picture transfer protocol), whish uses windows
XP's own file transfer. I tried it once, and seemed to work OK, although I
think it only downloaded the JPG's, not the RAW images.

1) go into the menu on the camers
2) scroll down to "communication" (in the orange section)
3) set communication to "PTP"

It's worth a try, if you don't have a card reader.

BW

"Tim Bollup" <timbollup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm unable to download pictures using my D20 and EOS Digital Software.
> When I plug the USB in, the software sees the camera but then I get a
> message that says the camera is "too busy" and that I need to turn off
> the LCD and try again. The LCD was never on and it doesn't matter
> anyway because I can't get past that windown. Any advice would be
> appreciated.

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:15:43 AM

"Tim Bollup" <timbollup@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1106359165.426484.86780
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I'm unable to download pictures using my D20 and EOS Digital Software.
> When I plug the USB in, the software sees the camera but then I get a
> message that says the camera is "too busy" and that I need to turn off
> the LCD and try again. The LCD was never on and it doesn't matter
> anyway because I can't get past that windown. Any advice would be
> appreciated.

Use a card reader. USB 2.0 at least, but preferably Firewire.
!