Is it worth it???

Algoguy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I had a PSU blow on my 5yr old gateway. Swapped the psu and still no power...I'm looking into a new mobo now but am not sure if it's even worth it. If I wanted something as painless as possible, can I swap in the exact same mobo without having to re-install everything? can I upgrade and get a better mobo provided I use the same chipset maker? or should I just scrap it and save for a new one as budget is a concern? My computer skills are decent but I'm far from knowledgable

Solution
Depends on the price of the motherboard, whether it's new or used, and the warranty. If you change to a non gateway board, your original windows installation may not work, unless you've upgraded it. I'm sure you can find a replacement board at newegg, maybe with the same chipset. But you're going to have to continue swapping parts until it's fixed. If I were you, and had some pc skills, I would look at one of newegg's shellshocker specials with board and cpu. Some are as low as $200, and all come with board,cpu, and ram. Some come with a case and hardrive. They don't have them everyday, but 1-3 per week.
Depends on the price of the motherboard, whether it's new or used, and the warranty. If you change to a non gateway board, your original windows installation may not work, unless you've upgraded it. I'm sure you can find a replacement board at newegg, maybe with the same chipset. But you're going to have to continue swapping parts until it's fixed. If I were you, and had some pc skills, I would look at one of newegg's shellshocker specials with board and cpu. Some are as low as $200, and all come with board,cpu, and ram. Some come with a case and hardrive. They don't have them everyday, but 1-3 per week.

Solution