Unable to game anymore

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Games
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2010 12:33:16 PM

I'm not entirely sure where I should post this but hopefully this is the right section.
Recently, I had some issues with my hard drive in my IBuyPower crappy PC so over Black Friday I bought a Seagate 1TB hard drive off Newegg. Sadly, ever since I installed it I've been having issues playing any games. Bad Company 2 freezes once every 5-10 minutes for a couple seconds. After a little while of playing, Black Ops Multiplayer appears to show artifacts for a split second and then it freezes and doesn't let me alt+tab or even ctrl+alt+del. Genesis A.D. does the same thing as Black Ops just without the artifacts. I haven't played any other games yet but I will update this if I do.

If it helps, here's my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
AMD Athlon II X4 620 ~2.6GHz
XFX HD 4670 1GB
Corsair 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Sunbeam 680W Power Supply

And my old hard drive was a Western Digital Blue 500GB

More about : unable game anymore

December 19, 2010 12:47:34 PM

One would think your PSU is up to the task, but, possible the video card is running short of power as the PSU ages, and, after changing to a larger HDD...

Did you Ghost image upgrade, or full reinstall?

If you have the time, and can full delete partition/ repartition/reinstall, I would...

Install OS, then chipset drivers, then video drivers, then Direct x updates, then your games....

Artifacting (I am facing similar issues in FEAR w/ my 5 yr old 7800GT as of last night!) normally points to video card or power, you might need to ensure the cpu/heatsink past has not dried up/burned off...
m
l
December 19, 2010 12:58:40 PM

The card has been running fine up until I got a new hard drive though so I'm inclined to think it's the drive.

I did a full fresh install on my new hard drive and then transferred my files from my old drive to my new one and haven't used my old drive since.

If the thermal paste dried up, wouldn't that cause the card to get extremely hot though? It's always ran about 40c idle, 80c load.
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2010 7:36:28 PM

Can you try another SATA port? Newest chipset drivers?
m
l
December 19, 2010 8:23:44 PM

I'll try another SATA port later tonight though if I remember correctly, it's the same port my old drive used.
And I am an idiot. I never even thought about updating my firmware. Just finished that though and will go test it out in just a few minutes.
m
l
December 20, 2010 1:02:40 AM

If firmware does not work, i would certainly start looking first at temps. After that, I would possibly look at exchanging the power supply for a better one.
m
l
December 20, 2010 12:37:13 PM

Well the firmware update didn't help any.

And my temps are all in the norm.
Processor hitting 54c with stock cooler
Hard Drive hitting 36c max
GFX card hitting 76c max
^ All according to CPUID Hardware Monitor

As for the power supply, I've already purchased parts for an entirely new PC, I'm just waiting for them to arrive and for Christmas to come around.
m
l
December 20, 2010 3:17:12 PM

Yeah, processor seems warm. Definitely want to get better airflow in the case.
m
l
!