Kodak makes memory cards?

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b } Memory
January 22, 2005 5:32:08 AM

I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them? Any
opinions on how they compare to other brands?

Rob
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 22, 2005 7:31:45 AM

"Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
> something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them?
Any
> opinions on how they compare to other brands?
>
> Rob

I have six year old Kodak CF cards. No problems at all.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 24, 2005 8:15:25 PM

Hi Rob,

Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the 90's).
So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the highest quality and
should perform very well for you. If you have any questions, about them or
other Kodak media or camera issues, let me know. Glad to help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
> something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them?
Any
> opinions on how they compare to other brands?
>
> Rob

a b } Memory
January 24, 2005 11:05:00 PM

Ron Baird wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the 90's).
> So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the highest quality and
> should perform very well for you. If you have any questions, about them or
> other Kodak media or camera issues, let me know. Glad to help.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> "Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
>>something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them?
>
> Any
>
>>opinions on how they compare to other brands?
>>
>>Rob

However, I don't believe Kodak actually MAKES the cards. Usually such
things are 'rebranded'. They are supplied under contract by a reputable
supplier, and manufactured to Kodak specifications. I believe actual
flash memories are only made be a few companies, world-wide.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:32:08 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Basic Wedge"
<basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote:

>I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
>something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them? Any
>opinions on how they compare to other brands?

I've been dealing with Lexar regarding a USB problem with an old 8x
card. If you go to lexar's site the opening tech support page at
http://www.lexar.com/support/index.html gives you a choice of Kodak or
Lexar support areas.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 25, 2005 2:33:14 PM

Ron Baird wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the
> 90's). So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the
> highest quality and should perform very well for you. If you have any
> questions, about them or other Kodak media or camera issues, let me
> know. Glad to help.

Note: "offered" not "made".
They could be from any manufacturer.

David
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 25, 2005 3:33:28 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Ron Baird wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the
>> 90's). So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the
>> highest quality and should perform very well for you. If you have any
>> questions, about them or other Kodak media or camera issues, let me
>> know. Glad to help.
>
> Note: "offered" not "made".
> They could be from any manufacturer.

True.

However - I'd imagine Kodak have a pretty strict specification on anything
they buy in and badge....
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 25, 2005 4:08:49 PM

adm wrote:
> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Ron Baird wrote:
>>> Hi Rob,
>>>
>>> Actually, Kodak has offered memory cards since very early on (in the
>>> 90's). So, the cards you are seeing currently are indeed of the
>>> highest quality and should perform very well for you. If you have
>>> any questions, about them or other Kodak media or camera issues,
>>> let me know. Glad to help.
>>
>> Note: "offered" not "made".
>> They could be from any manufacturer.
>
> True.
>
> However - I'd imagine Kodak have a pretty strict specification on
> anything they buy in and badge....

I would imagine that as well - I wonder just how much testing and incoming
QC they actually do, though?

David
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 26, 2005 5:22:20 AM

Inspection ?? QC?? Testing??

Let me tell you about my Kodak moment:

I received a DX4900 as a Christmas present last year (2003) and the giver
also gave me the telephoto, wide angle and close-up lenses. This camera quit
working after 11 months (internal shutter stuck down - took only black
pictures). I bought a DX7440 on 11/11/04 so that I could keep using the same
accessory lenses. This just meant a new battery type, new memory card and a
new card reader.

On 11/21/04 the shutter button autofocus quit and it would only take blurry
pictures - the button started operating differently, there was no way to
partially depress it, if you touched it, it instantly took the picture. I
took it back to store and exchanged it on 11/22/04 - no hassle at all.

On 12/14/04 the SECOND DX7440 broke. The little orange plastic battery
latch/catch under the memory card/battery door broke in three pieces. I
called Kodak and complained and their best answer was send it to us and
it'll take several weeks to repair and return or go back to the store for
another one. I went to the store on 12/15/04 and got the THIRD DX7440. Again
no hassle from the store.

On 1/11/05 the THIRD camera broke - the little orange battery catch again.
I'd bet that if the autofocus button on the first DX7440 hadn't quit working
so soon, that the battery latch on it would have broken too. On both
latches, the cameras were just sitting in the camera bag for a day ot two -
not touched, moved, ANYTHING and I took them out, took some pictures and
opened the door to take out the memory card and was rewarded with small
orange bits. I don't have a picture of the first autofocus defect but I do
of the two broken catches and I still have the bits from the third camera.

No, I haven't called Kodak service this last time because the first time I
called they said they would refund my money for the camera. I said what
about the lenses, four memory cards, card reader, extra batteries, camera
bag, camera strap, etc. and they said not those items -they're not broke and
some of them aren't ours. Well, there's as much money in the accessories as
there was in the camera.

I've had a Nikon FG for more than 15 years and have used near 1000 rolls of
film in it and never had a problem. It's used 4 sets of betteries in that
time.

As of now, I'll use this Kodak until it breaks enough that it won't take
pictures any more then I'll buy ANY OTHER brand. I'll never buy another
thing that has the Kodak name on it - not even their film processing. I've
switched to Fuji film for the Nikon SRL. Kodak can keep ALL of their
garbage.

They may have great QC, great testing, but their design/reliability team
needs LOTS of work. Oh, yes, when I complained to their service group in an
e-mail after the third one broke, the person from India that replied gave me
a canned reply that offered to help guide me through the web site that would
tell me how much it WOULD COST ME to get the camera fixed. Riiggghhhhtttt, I
ran right out there and did that, you can bet.

Kodak has a design problem whether they believe it or not. You can believe
it's limited to the DX7440 if you want, it's your money.

Jim Leggett

PS the store was Circuit City and they did a GREAT JOB - never a complaint,
they just exchanged the cameras with no questions after I showed them the
defects and the broken bits.

> adm wrote:
> > "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message

> >> Note: "offered" not "made".
> >> They could be from any manufacturer.
> >
> > True.
> >
> > However - I'd imagine Kodak have a pretty strict specification on
> > anything they buy in and badge....
>
> I would imagine that as well - I wonder just how much testing and incoming
> QC they actually do, though?
>
> David

Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 26, 2005 6:12:02 AM

jim leggett wrote:
> [...]
> switched to Fuji film for the Nikon SRL. Kodak can keep ALL of their
> garbage.
>
> They may have great QC, great testing, but their design/reliability team
> needs LOTS of work. Oh, yes, when I complained to their service group in an
> e-mail after the third one broke, the person from India that replied gave me
> a canned reply that offered to help guide me through the web site that would
> tell me how much it WOULD COST ME to get the camera fixed. Riiggghhhhtttt, I
> ran right out there and did that, you can bet.
>
> Kodak has a design problem whether they believe it or not. You can believe
> it's limited to the DX7440 if you want, it's your money.
>
> Jim Leggett
>
> PS the store was Circuit City and they did a GREAT JOB - never a complaint,
> they just exchanged the cameras with no questions after I showed them the

You certainly have had a rare series of unpleasant problems. I am on my
second Kodak digital camera and haven't had a moment's problem with
either of them. By coincidence, the one I use now is a DX6440, and it
works perfectly, and is a bit over a year old. Yours is the first post
I have seen here regarding problems with the battery latch. Perhaps
they got a bad batch of parts. Most of the stories of Kodak repair
service I have seen here reflect very quick turnarounds, and satisfied
users. I am glad that your dealer is so patient about your problems.
At least that makes the situation a bit more bearable.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 26, 2005 12:01:20 PM

I have had about the same experience with Fuji that you had with Kodak.
At the exception that my warranty was over by two months and the camera was
a low cost one. After several emails and chatting with Fuji I sent the
camera to their repair center and paid for the freight. After expediting
them for several weeks I learned that the repair cost was as close as to buy
a new one. I did not agreed with the repair cost and told them to keep the
camera. That took place last April 2004. Last week 14 January 2005 I got a
parcel from Purolator. It was from Fuji repair center returning the non
functioning camera with a writing estimate for the repair. On the estimate
it stated that if I wanted to camera repaired to return it with a
Cheque/money order payable Fuji Photo Film or my credit card number. I
contacted Fuji by phone and they replied with a canned statement that they
were following procedures?

"jim leggett" <gemcutter@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> tell me how much it WOULD COST ME to get the camera fixed. Riiggghhhhtttt,
> ran right out there and did that, you can bet.
>
> Kodak has a design problem whether they believe it or not. You can believe
> it's limited to the DX7440 if you want, it's your money.
>
> Jim Leggett
>
> PS the store was Circuit City and they did a GREAT JOB - never a
complaint,
> they just exchanged the cameras with no questions after I showed them the
> defects and the broken bits.
>
> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> > adm wrote:
> > > "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message

> > > True.
> > >
> > > However - I'd imagine Kodak have a pretty strict specification on
> > > anything they buy in and badge....
> >
> > I would imagine that as well - I wonder just how much testing and

Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 26, 2005 1:18:18 PM

"Basic Wedge" <basic-wedge@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
> something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them?
Any
> opinions on how they compare to other brands?

I've had several Kodak *brand* CF cards since 1998 or so, but who knows who
really makes them? Kodak probably gets them from several sources and then
slaps their label on them.
January 26, 2005 5:05:40 PM

Basic Wedge wrote:
> I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
> something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them? Any
> opinions on how they compare to other brands?
>
> Rob

Kodak is trying to make money on digicams the same we they did with fim cameras - sell the camera cheap and make a big profit
on the f\aftermarket. It is called a "razorblade business". See http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/business/26kodak.html.
Their problem is that the public has more choices for abtteries, memory cards, etc. than they did for film. I use Kodak
paper to print photos because they sell it cheap enough and the quality is ggood. But I have no loyalty to them.
\It is very hard to make money in a razorblade business, especially when you also have to spend a lot on R&D.
January 27, 2005 7:23:34 AM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:05:40 -0500, Marvin <physchemNOSPAM@cloud9.net>
wrote:

>Basic Wedge wrote:
>> I've started seeing memory cards with Kodak's name on them. Is this
>> something new, or have I just been missing it? Any experience with them? Any
>> opinions on how they compare to other brands?
>>
>> Rob
>>

>Kodak is trying to make money on digicams the same we they did with fim cameras - sell the camera cheap and make a big profit
>on the f\aftermarket. It is called a "razorblade business". See http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/business/26kodak.html.
>Their problem is that the public has more choices for abtteries, memory cards, etc. than they did for film. I use Kodak
>paper to print photos because they sell it cheap enough and the quality is ggood. But I have no loyalty to them.
>\It is very hard to make money in a razorblade business, especially when you also have to spend a lot on R&D.

Snice Kodak has bought and owns Lexar Media( or what ever there
calling themselfs now). That companys makes the cards and Kodak buts
there name on them.

LordFlash
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 27, 2005 1:57:50 PM

Greetings Jim,

Sorry to hear about your experience, Jim, that is not the normal experience
for Kodak. I am glad to see if I can help. I can appreciate the frustration
and I apologize for any misinformation you might have received.

The battery clip seems to be what broke on you and is, of course, in place
to secure the battery and hold it in place. A quick review of it reveals
that if the battery is inserted in the wrong orientation, and the clip not
moved out of the way, as shown in the manual, the clip can be forced and
broken. I can understand how this might happen. I would suggest, however,
that any resistance in a process should not be met with force. Rather, a
quick review to see why something does not work will usually result in
finding a better way. You have a point, however, Jim, and I am taking this
to others to be sure that the issue is reviewed and understood. The design
of having a clip in place to hold the battery is sound, and it should be
easy to do.

Actually, I have a DX7440 here and have been experimenting with it to see
how the process works. You can also find it online at the following URL.
Please note the process of inserting the battery, I am sure you did this
already but noting it may keep you from any future problems like this.
Keeping that in mind, I suspect you will be able to enjoy your camera for a
long time and make use of all your accessories.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/publications/urg...

1. Turn the Mode dial to Off.
2. On the bottom of the camera, slide the battery door and lift to open.
3. Insert the battery as shown. Tilt the battery so the battery lock is
pushed to the side. Push the battery into the battery compartment. The
battery lock holds the battery in place.
4. Close the battery door.

The process has images to review.

If you think I can help you with any other issues, I am glad to do it. I am
here for you Jim, and will make sure you get the support you need.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> [...]
> about the lenses, four memory cards, card reader, extra batteries, camera
> bag, camera strap, etc. and they said not those items -they're not broke
and
> some of them aren't ours. Well, there's as much money in the accessories
as
> there was in the camera.
>
> I've had a Nikon FG for more than 15 years and have used near 1000 rolls
of
> film in it and never had a problem. It's used 4 sets of betteries in that
> time.
>
> As of now, I'll use this Kodak until it breaks enough that it won't take
> pictures any more then I'll buy ANY OTHER brand. I'll never buy another
> thing that has the Kodak name on it - not even their film processing. I've
> switched to Fuji film for the Nikon SRL. Kodak can keep ALL of their

Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 29, 2005 6:01:51 PM

jim leggett wrote:
> Ron,
>
> You need to read the sentence about that that says "Next let's grant your
> assumption that an incorrectly inserted battery caused the clip to
> break:......" All that follows that is making that assumption.
>
> Both of the cameras that clip broke in WERE NOT SUBJECTED TO ANY KIND OF
> SHOCK OR COLD OR ANYTHING. They went from the store to the house to the
> camera bag to broken clip out of the bag. Neither had been used enough to
> even require that the battery be taken out and recharged. You're doing
> exactly what he is doing - trying to say that I had mistreated these cameras
> in some way. THAT JUST DIDN'T HAPPEN, PERIOD. My oint was that whomever
> designed.... obviously DIDN'T know what they were doing. Plus you keep
> saying battery door on you DX6440 when it's the battery retaining clip
> inside of the door on a DX7440. Have you even compared them to see is they
> use the same retaining clip? I haven't and I really don't care.

Ok, your mention of vibration led me down the wrong road, at least after
the camera was in your possession, but what about exposure to
shock/vibration/cold BEFORE you took possession? The fact that you got
more than one camera with the same problem, and yours is the only case I
have seen of this complaint on this camera leads me to think there is a
local cause. As for my experience with a different camera, it was
included to illustrate that Kodak doesn't seem to think that battery
doors (or retaining clips) need to be very robust. And of course you
don't care. You are too angry, and self-centered to care.

> As to taking a rest, do you see what he is really saying or has been told to
> say? His legal group, or he may be a lawyer himself, has told him not to
> admit that they have any DESIGN/MANUFACTURING problems with any of their
> cameras. If he were to admit it, in writing, someone would have a fun time
> recalling and repairing all of the cameras that MIGHT HAVE the defect. Kodak
> has already made or is close to having made all of the DX7440's that will be
> made and they're all sitting in some finished goods warehouse somewhere.
> They have already moved on to the next series of designs and have no desire
> to revisit anything already in the field or unpackage and rework everything
> in the warehouses. It's just more time (read money) than they're willing to
> spend.

It is more time, and money than ANY company would want to spend. As for
Kodak's response, when I wrote them about what I felt were shortcomings
with my older DX3600, they replied that they would address them in later
models, and every single one was corrected in the camera I now own.

> I'll calm down when he quits trying to sweep items like these under the rug
> and quits blaming it on the customer.

As you know, the customer IS usually the problem.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 30, 2005 2:40:45 AM

Ron,

If just one time someone from Kodak had asked ANYTHING about the defects I
might feel different. Their only response has been - "it has to be the
customer" They didn't ask serial numbers (maybe to see if they were near
consecutive or to see if they came from the same manufacturing run IN CASE
THEY MAY HAVE HAD a bad batch of parts); they didn't ask how the camera was
being used, they didn't ask how long I had had it or where it came from,
nothing - they've just said it has to be the customers fault. You've read
the e-mail response from the Kodak guy here - did he ever ask anything about
use or abuse of the cameras? All he could/would do was parrot the manual and
imply it was anyone but Kodak.

You said "but what about exposure to shock/vibration/cold BEFORE you took
possession" So you're saying now that the camera was designed correctly but
maybe that the packaging wasn't and/or the handling by their various
retailers was defective? If that doesn't work for you, what next - that
there must have been something in the bag the store put the camera in to
cause the failure?

And on another point you continue to make is that no one else seems to be
complaining. HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU THINK WILL COMPLAIN WHEN ALL THEY GET IS
ATTITUDES LIKE YOURS? I guess big companies, or are you just saying Kodak,
are perfect and can do no wrong?

Where I guess you're right is that it really doesn't matter, you and Kodak
can do no wrong and nothing else is of anyone's concern. Go bury your head
in someone else's sand and ignore it all, you deserve all that you get.

Jim

news:D USKd.2440$ZW5.1416@fe06.lga...
> [...]
> > made and they're all sitting in some finished goods warehouse somewhere.
> > They have already moved on to the next series of designs and have no
desire
> > to revisit anything already in the field or unpackage and rework
everything
> > in the warehouses. It's just more time (read money) than they're willing
> > spend.
>
> It is more time, and money than ANY company would want to spend. As for
> Kodak's response, when I wrote them about what I felt were shortcomings
> with my older DX3600, they replied that they would address them in later
> models, and every single one was corrected in the camera I now own.
> >
> > I'll calm down when he quits trying to sweep items like these under the
rug
> > and quits blaming it on the customer.
>
> As you know, the customer IS usually the problem.

January 30, 2005 2:40:46 AM

jim leggett wrote:
> Ron,
>
> If just one time someone from Kodak had asked ANYTHING about the defects I
> might feel different. Their only response has been - "it has to be the
> customer" They didn't ask serial numbers (maybe to see if they were near
> consecutive or to see if they came from the same manufacturing run IN CASE
> THEY MAY HAVE HAD a bad batch of parts); they didn't ask how the camera was
> being used, they didn't ask how long I had had it or where it came from,
> nothing - they've just said it has to be the customers fault. You've read
> the e-mail response from the Kodak guy here - did he ever ask anything about
> use or abuse of the cameras? All he could/would do was parrot the manual and
> imply it was anyone but Kodak.

They have an outlook you don't understand. First, they are responsible
to the company. Second, they have access to records of complaints, and
if none match yours, then they conclude that something specific to your
usage, or local conditions, probably caused the problem.

I don't know where you live, but in some areas of the country the
weather has been quite severe lately. Imagine a truckload of cameras
subjected to -40 degree temps for a couple of days.

> You said "but what about exposure to shock/vibration/cold BEFORE you took
> possession" So you're saying now that the camera was designed correctly but
> maybe that the packaging wasn't and/or the handling by their various
> retailers was defective? If that doesn't work for you, what next - that
> there must have been something in the bag the store put the camera in to
> cause the failure?

See above. Do you really think Kodak intentionally put bad battery
clips in your camera? IF the clip were inherently defective in design,
they we would be hearing a hue and cry in this newsgroup. We have only
your account.

> And on another point you continue to make is that no one else seems to be
> complaining. HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU THINK WILL COMPLAIN WHEN ALL THEY GET IS
> ATTITUDES LIKE YOURS? I guess big companies, or are you just saying Kodak,
> are perfect and can do no wrong?

It has been my experience that people complain no matter HOW well, or
poorly they are treated. Kodak is not perfect, but they do better than
most other camera companies. Read the accounts in this newsgroup.

> Where I guess you're right is that it really doesn't matter, you and Kodak
> can do no wrong and nothing else is of anyone's concern. Go bury your head
> in someone else's sand and ignore it all, you deserve all that you get.

Good, because what I have is a camera the works just fine, even though I
contend that the battery door retaining mechanism is poorly designed.
Knowing that, I am extra careful with it, and will examine any future
camera to see if the condition persists. I don't assume that because I
have a bad experience, someone is out to get me (even if they ARE), or
that every product from the company is bound to be defective.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 31, 2005 4:20:44 PM

Ron,

I guess that you're right. You've had one good Kodak camera so you know
best. I'd have said almost the same thing if you would have ask me before
the first one failed at 11 months of age. And then the next three failed
before any of them reached three weeks of age. So I understand that my
experience doesn't matter - it's just you and your one good camera. It also
appears that anyone that would post negative Kodak in the group would have
to keep putting up with you and your everlasting love of all things Kodak.
It's been fun.

Jim

> [...]
> poorly they are treated. Kodak is not perfect, but they do better than
> most other camera companies. Read the accounts in this newsgroup.
>

> > Where I guess you're right is that it really doesn't matter, you and
Kodak
> > can do no wrong and nothing else is of anyone's concern. Go bury your
head
> > in someone else's sand and ignore it all, you deserve all that you get.
> >

> Good, because what I have is a camera the works just fine, even though I
> contend that the battery door retaining mechanism is poorly designed.
> Knowing that, I am extra careful with it, and will examine any future
> camera to see if the condition persists. I don't assume that because I
> have a bad experience, someone is out to get me (even if they ARE), or
> that every product from the company is bound to be defective.

January 31, 2005 4:20:45 PM

jim leggett wrote:
> [...]
>>poorly they are treated. Kodak is not perfect, but they do better than
>>most other camera companies. Read the accounts in this newsgroup.
>>

>>>Where I guess you're right is that it really doesn't matter, you and
>
> Kodak
>
>>>can do no wrong and nothing else is of anyone's concern. Go bury your
>
> head
>
>>>in someone else's sand and ignore it all, you deserve all that you get.
>>>

>>Good, because what I have is a camera the works just fine, even though I
>>contend that the battery door retaining mechanism is poorly designed.
>>Knowing that, I am extra careful with it, and will examine any future
>>camera to see if the condition persists. I don't assume that because I
>>have a bad experience, someone is out to get me (even if they ARE), or
>>that every product from the company is bound to be defective.

Jim,
WRONG. Over the past 55 years I have been taking pictures, I have
used MANY different cameras, most of them Kodak and have had no problems
with ANY of them. Maybe it is in the way they are used. Now I did have
trouble with a Minox B back in 1965, but then coral dust is hell on
things with small moving parts...

I guess your experience trumps mine.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 17, 2005 11:17:46 PM

I may have missed the boat on this thread but I will interject nonetheless.

I have had almost the exact same experience as Jim. In fact, I googled
"defective battery lock Kodak dx7440 to see if anyone else out there had
had a similar experience. Sure enough, almost exact. I purchased a dx7440
in November and used it for about a month until the battery lock ceased to
lock the battery into place. It didn't break completely off, but just hung
loosely. Fortunately, I purchased it from Wal-mart online and was able to
send it back and get a replacement without much hassle. I received a brand
new one as a replacement. This time I only accessed the battery lock twice.
The first time was to put in the battery. When I opened it again to put in
the memory card, the battery popped up and the battery lock fell into my
hand, in one piece but clean off. Hadn't even taken a picture with that one
yet.

While I agree that Jim's getting a little hot under the collar, man is it
frustrating dealing with this time and time again. I'm a graphic designer
and not professional photographer, so I did days and days of research over
a months time. The dx7440 had everything I needed and wanted and most of
the reviews I read on it were positive. I feel I made a good decision based
on everything I read and heard about the camera. In the month that I was
able to use the camera I was very pleased with it. It delivered on
everything it promised. Unfortunately, it also delivered something I didn't
ask for.

So it's back to the drawing board for me, as I am going to return this
camera for a refund. Any suggestions for a comparable camera in the $300 -
$350 range?

Thanks all.

a b } Memory
February 17, 2005 11:17:47 PM

Jay Downing via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> I may have missed the boat on this thread but I will interject nonetheless.
>
> I have had almost the exact same experience as Jim. In fact, I googled
> "defective battery lock Kodak dx7440 to see if anyone else out there had
> had a similar experience. Sure enough, almost exact. I purchased a dx7440
> in November and used it for about a month until the battery lock ceased to
> lock the battery into place. It didn't break completely off, but just hung
> loosely. Fortunately, I purchased it from Wal-mart online and was able to
> send it back and get a replacement without much hassle. I received a brand
> new one as a replacement. This time I only accessed the battery lock twice.
> The first time was to put in the battery. When I opened it again to put in
> the memory card, the battery popped up and the battery lock fell into my
> hand, in one piece but clean off. Hadn't even taken a picture with that one
> yet.
>
> While I agree that Jim's getting a little hot under the collar, man is it
> frustrating dealing with this time and time again. I'm a graphic designer
> and not professional photographer, so I did days and days of research over
> a months time. The dx7440 had everything I needed and wanted and most of
> the reviews I read on it were positive. I feel I made a good decision based
> on everything I read and heard about the camera. In the month that I was
> able to use the camera I was very pleased with it. It delivered on
> everything it promised. Unfortunately, it also delivered something I didn't
> ask for.
>
> So it's back to the drawing board for me, as I am going to return this
> camera for a refund. Any suggestions for a comparable camera in the $300 -
> $350 range?
>
> Thanks all.

Perhaps you could buy the older version (DX6440). No problems with the
batteries as they are AA NIMH (2). The SD card has its own door. Note
that the battery door is secured only by a small piece of plastic, but
if you get the dock, and use the Kodak NIMH battery pack, there is
little need to open this door. I have used it for over a year with no
problems.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 24, 2005 9:03:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out..

a b } Memory
March 15, 2005 12:33:12 AM

Hi all,

I've been using digital cameras for many years, ive used many different
brands as well. I'm exceedingly cautious with all of my electronics
equipment because the damn things can be so fragile. My girlfriend got
the kodak easyshare dx7440 for her birthday. She used it once, then got
busy and it sat for three month till today, i went to put a memory card
into it so i could take more pictures beyond what internal memory
allows. But when I open up the door the battery pops out sending orange
plastic bits airborn.... three pieces to be exact. I recovered all the
pieces to the battery lock. I dont know what kind of warranty i have on
the camera. My girlfriends mom bought it and has the paperwork for it
(I've yet to call her, my first priority was to see if this was a
common problem). I hope i can just exchange it for a new one. But im
not excited about the idea seeing how somebody here has had two of them
do this. Just to comment on the part, i believe that this problem could
have been easily avoided if kodak had spent an appropriate amount of
time testing their product before rushing it out to the sales floor.
The plastic seems to be a very cheap and brittle part, not qualities i
would want in a part designed to withstand the constant pressure from a
spring directly below it. But thats just me i guess.

--
pagonavitt
Anonymous

pagonavitt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using digital cameras for many years, ive used many different
> brands as well. I'm exceedingly cautious with all of my electronics
> equipment because the damn things can be so fragile. My girlfriend got
> the kodak easyshare dx7440 for her birthday. She used it once, then got
> busy and it sat for three month till today, i went to put a memory card
> into it so i could take more pictures beyond what internal memory
> allows. But when I open up the door the battery pops out sending orange
> plastic bits airborn.... three pieces to be exact. I recovered all the
> pieces to the battery lock. I dont know what kind of warranty i have on
> the camera. My girlfriends mom bought it and has the paperwork for it
> (I've yet to call her, my first priority was to see if this was a
> common problem). I hope i can just exchange it for a new one. But im
> not excited about the idea seeing how somebody here has had two of them
> do this. Just to comment on the part, i believe that this problem could
> have been easily avoided if kodak had spent an appropriate amount of
> time testing their product before rushing it out to the sales floor.
> The plastic seems to be a very cheap and brittle part, not qualities i
> would want in a part designed to withstand the constant pressure from a
> spring directly below it. But thats just me i guess.

It sounds like a production run was made with a very bad shipment of
those battery clips. Kodak should take care of the problem.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 15, 2005 3:47:09 PM

Greetings Pagonavitt,

Sorry to hear that your girlfriends camera is broken. Kodak will stand
behind the camera and service it for her at no charge. Please have her call
or contact Kodak at the following number:

800 235-6325

Or email us via the Kodak web site. They will help you get your camera in
and returned good as new. Your comments have been heard loud and clear, as
well. Of course, if you have any questions or a concern, let me know and I
will try to help directly.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> Hi all,
>
> I've been using digital cameras for many years, ive used many different
> brands as well. I'm exceedingly cautious with all of my electronics
> equipment because the damn things can be so fragile. My girlfriend got
> the kodak easyshare dx7440 for her birthday. She used it once, then got
> busy and it sat for three month till today, i went to put a memory card
> into it so i could take more pictures beyond what internal memory
> allows. But when I open up the door the battery pops out sending orange
> plastic bits airborn.... three pieces to be exact. I recovered all the
> pieces to the battery lock. I dont know what kind of warranty i have on
> the camera. My girlfriends mom bought it and has the paperwork for it
> (I've yet to call her, my first priority was to see if this was a
> common problem). I hope i can just exchange it for a new one. But im
> not excited about the idea seeing how somebody here has had two of them
> do this. Just to comment on the part, i believe that this problem could
> have been easily avoided if kodak had spent an appropriate amount of
> time testing their product before rushing it out to the sales floor.
> The plastic seems to be a very cheap and brittle part, not qualities i
> would want in a part designed to withstand the constant pressure from a
> spring directly below it. But thats just me i guess.
>

> --
> pagonavitt
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 8:55:06 PM

Thanks for the info Ron, we did find the receipt for the camera luckily
and we are going to exchange it and try another. I hope that the faulty
clip isn't a problem in all the cameras of that model. Because other
than the clip I was rather pleased with the cameras performance. I'll
post again if I experience problems with the replacement camera.

--
pagonavitt
Anonymous

I am having the same problem with the battery latch breaking off. I have
barely had my camera a month, 3 weeks to be exact. I am enjoying it very
much until I opened up the battery compartment and out fell the orange
latch. Took me by surprise and then I figured out what it was. A quick
search on google brought me here.
Today I plan on taking it back to Staples where I purchased it. Hoping
they won't give me any grief, and just exchange the camera. I don't think
I should have to pay for a thing if I have to send it into Kodak, not even
the shipping. The camera still seems to be working fine but who wants a
broken 3 week old camera. The latch must be there for a reason. This
seems to be happening way to often. So listen up Kodak, we have a problem.

Thanks,

Joan