5870 Gigabyte Ultra durable CF + bottleneck question

expensivecomputer

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hello going to buy another 5870 (its on sale) for crossfire instead of geting the 6xxx series. (i have made my decision so please no 6xxx talk).

Im getting the GIGABYTE Ultra durable VGA brand and plan to use stock coolers. So question is , will they fit in on my X58A-UD3R motherboard on the two PCI-E x16 slots?

I ask this because the fans look so big.. i jus wasn't sure if they would fit next to each other? (dont want really wana use the x8 pcie slot)

Also im using i7-950 3.07Ghz CPU and aint planing to OC yet when using crossfire, will it bottleneck?

Going to get Corsair 850W (will this be sufficient if i do OC my CPU to say 3.6 + get those CPU fans coolers (not OC graphics card). Or should i get the 950W.

ty ty.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

Its a pretty tight fit with that mobo as the PCI-E 2 slots are quite close to each other. It will fit though as I've done 3 SLI and 2 Crossfire builds with that mobo. However, the top card will get a lot hotter than the bottom one and might overheat. The bottom card will be too close to the top and will kind of block its fan. I suggest getting a side case fan to blow directly on your GPUs if possible or get cards that are rear exhaust blower types or simply another motherboard.

Edit:
I'm not sure about the CPU bottleneck but a Corsair 850w PSU will be sufficient for your system even with overclocking.

expensivecomputer

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
how much hotter are we talkin about? It currently gets to 70 max degrees on a hot day at full load. Usually its about 60 or so. Do you think getting another fan, like the arctic one for the top GPU help? (despite it being partiarlly blocked off by the GPU still)?

My case does have availible slots for 2 side fans and 1 at the back as well, it should probably be okay if i get some fans to blow in and suck out air? I'm not familiar with cards that have rear exhaust bloewr types (and this is really the only ones that on sale at a reasonable price).

TRENDING THREADS