Sign in with
Your question

Amber flashing power LED XPS400

Last response: in Components
March 14, 2011 10:16:58 PM

My XPS400 was working fine at shutdown. Wouldn't start back up. Just a blinking amber LED on the power button. I replaced the Power supply and there is no change. Does anyone have any suggestions?
March 14, 2011 10:43:00 PM

...ouch. Are any of the debug LEDs lit up? (maybe the XPS doesn't have these - my old Dimension had numbers 1-4 on the front panel with green LEDs for troubleshooting)

All I can say is that the last time this happened, my Dell's motherboard bit the dust. Hmm...
m
l
March 15, 2011 1:31:31 PM

I work IT for my University and I am Dell certified. Flashing amber on a Dell workstation is a critical fault and is usually the power supply which you have already replaced. Did you unplug the machine, hold the power button in for 15 seconds and drain the flea power as well as reset the CMOS? If you have done this and you still get amber flashing then as someguy has mentioned, it is most likely your mobo is shorted. Look to see if there are any blown capicitors that are bulged or leaking as that was a common issue for a while especially on early XPS models.
m
l
March 22, 2011 12:20:08 AM

Thank you all for the input. I reseated everything I could including the power supplies and now the PC starts up and all the fans are running. I has the 1,2,3 error code. It will not see any hard drives I connect to it though. I think it must have had a power surge or something. I think I'm going to cut my losses.

Do any of you know where I can take the original drive to have the data recovered off of it as it will not boot on any of my other PCs? I understand I may be expensive as well.

Thanks again,

Dan
m
l
!