Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I've had my latest computer up and running for a few months now, the specs are:

i5-2500k
asus p8z68-v pro
GTX 470 SLI
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Antec TruePower 750W '80 Plus Bronze'
Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD

I also have a 750GB HD from another pc that I use to store my media on.

Anyhow, on to the problem! Generally the whole thing runs fine and I'm very happy with it. However the last couple of times I've had friends round it has completely died.

On both occasions we were just watching Youtube, the screen froze, mouse pointer stopped responding, sound continued for a short while after and then it just turns itself off.

That would not be a major issue in itself but it doesn't turn itslef back on when I try! It won't even post! The first time it happened the monitor started up but just displayed a black screen.

I assumed one of my graphics cards was the issue and chopped and changed them however the problem remained. It was late so I went to bed, tried to start it up the next day and same issue, no post. Naturally I then re-set the motherboard by removing the battery and it started up. The wierd thing is it started up as if there were no Nvidia drivers installed, I had to go online and re-install new ones.

It then worked as it should do up untill tonight when it happened again. I've reset the motherboard and nothing, fans kick in, no sounds, no post, just black screen. At first I thought it may be an issue with someone accidentaly pressing sleep on the keyboard and the SSD running out of space, maybe this is the issue?!

I've ran through most of the latest games without a problem... maybe 200 hrs total (DiRT 3, Deus-Ex and currently Skyrim.) so I don't think it's a memory issue.

Hope I've described it well enough, thanks for your time!

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
I lost an Asus P8P67 PRO months ago.

It just frozed, then I get the system to work again.
The next day frozed a second time and the mobo is dead. In both cases I was playing Dragon Age 2. And before it have played like 200+ hours too.

I have used the mobo for a full month before this.
In my case, when I was pressing the power on button, all the fans worked for a fraction of second, and then nothing.

I recommend you to try your PSU in a friends house before RMA it. It could be a mobo problem.

jik771971

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I have a 580sli set up with the Gen3 version of your board.
Here are my specs.

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz
AsusP8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600Mhz RAM @1.5v
HAF X RC-942 black full sized tower
Corsair HX1050
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
1x 240Gb OCZ Vertex 3 Sata 600
1x 1TB WD Caviar Black WDFAEX1002
LG SuperMulti Blue BH10LS30
Scythe Kaze Master Pro fan control KM03-BK
2x MSI n580GTX lightnings in sli
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

You said the fans turn on. Does that include the graphic card fans, or are you only talking about the CPU,PSU, and case fans? Anyway, according to the information you supplied, I tend to agree. This could be, initially, a PSU or mainboard problem. I say, initially, because an insufficient or faulty PSU can, in some cases, cause other damage.
Also, here is a link that may help in choosing a PSU, if indeed, it is either faulty or insufficient. A faulty PSU or mainboard or an underpowered system isn't always noticable right away. Anyway, skip down to the part where they recommend wattage for a sli set up of those cards. I checked a few other reviewing websites as well. They are also recommending the same wattage.
http://guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/13

Did you change anything shortly before this happened? Update Bios? Is/was your system and/or the graphic card oc'ed or in turbo mode? Try hooking up a different, but fully functioning PSU to your system with either the same or higher wattage, or hook up your PSU to a different set up using similar wattage. You may or may not get a chance to do this, but pay good attention after pressing power on, to see which mainboard lights are on. and listen for beeps. If you don't hear any beeps, make sure the speaker is attached to the board properly. If your board is functioning correctly, the lights, and especially the beeps, should lead you to the problem within seconds. (If necessary, refer to you manual for beep explanations) If nothing happens within 30 seconds of power on, then the system may have failed a power on test. At that point, you may want to check to see if the clear rtc(clrtc) jumper is still in place and in the normal(default) position? If not, it won't boot. Then, you may want to recheck all board connections/switches again. After checking these connectors, and if you ruled out the PSU as the source of the problem, you may want to contact your retailer. Believe it or not, these simple suggestions have solved quite a few similar Boot problems in this and other forums.