Chkdsk so far 12 hours Help

RosaPerry

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Hello,
My computer has been going through chkidsk for over 12 hours. The problem is i can't see what's going on as the monitor is black and gone to sleep. What I want to know is why the computer seems to go into sleep mode? I'm a novice and why chkdsk started was that I was saving a photo and a msge came up saying something was corrupt. next time I started the computer the chkdsk started.

If you have a package of Ghost, and a 2nd comp that functions, I'd consider backing up what you can from that drive, just in case deleting your current partition/ reformatting/ reinstalling Windows becomes necessary...

Sounds as if your hard drive might have a few corrupt spots, which might be fixable with the procedure described above...

RosaPerry

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Thank you so much for your reply.

I actually rang HP as my machine is still under warranty. What we did was Hit F8 on boot up and searched windows explorer for scheduling. . . found that and unticked schedule task. Rebooted and then Windows did Chkdsk in about 8 minutes displaying stages on monitor which it did not do before. I had no errors or bad sectors. The day before I was saving a picture and there was a quick message to say that the picture was corrupt and could not be saved so I wonder if this set off Windows to Chkdsk next time I logged on?