Sign in with
Your question

Cpu over heating

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2011 11:38:21 PM

e machine w5243 elite group MCP61SM-GM phonenix tech 6.00pg 5/23/08 ok i did a bios flash and the bios says the v core is 1.37v but cpuz and speed fan both say it 1.47v so who do i trust,,, the bios seems to not have any effect to the cpu volts what is going on? and cpu is overheating 100% load

More about : cpu heating

a c 131 à CPUs
March 14, 2011 11:45:20 PM

Ok. Try again. This time, use proper sentences, punctuation and grammar so that we can understand you, rather than that jumbled, unclear mess.
m
l
March 15, 2011 12:36:51 AM

enzo matrix said:
Ok. Try again. This time, use proper sentences, punctuation and grammar so that we can understand you, rather than that jumbled, unclear mess.

okay i installed an amd 64 x2 3.1 ghz cpu with the old bios it was overpowering the cpu 1.488 vdc with no v core volts control so it was over heating. so i did a bios update. and speed fan and cpu z are still showing 1.488 vdc even though in the bios it is set to 1.35 vdc what im asking why is the bios not controling the cpu volts

vdc= volts direct current
cpu= processor
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
March 15, 2011 12:55:11 AM

Thanks for clarifying.

CPU-z is not always consistent. Have you checked the actual CPU core temperature with HWmonitor or coretemp to verify it is in fact overheating? Exactly what temperatures do you get on load/idle?

I do recall a thread like this before and a solution was found and his motherboard was in fact overvolting the CPU. But I can't remember the solution.

There was no Athlon 64x2 3.1GHz. Can I assume you are talking about the Athlon IIx2 255 clocked at 3.1GHz?

You do say you have an E-machines OEM computer. It is possible that the CPU is not compatible, even with a bios update. Can I assume that this date: "5/23/08" represents the date the latest bios update was created?

Have you tried undervolting the CPU to see if you can get the voltage in CPU-z to read 1.35V? If you do, don't forget to test for stability just in case CPU-Z is wrong though.

lol I think all of us here know what VDC and CPU mean :p 
m
l
March 15, 2011 1:35:03 AM

2265524,4,511008 said:
Thanks for clarifying.

CPU-z is not always consistent. Have you checked the actual CPU core temperature with HWmonitor or coretemp to verify it is in fact overheating? Exactly what temperatures do you get on load/idle?

I do recall a thread like this before and a solution was found and his motherboard was in fact overvolting the CPU. But I can't remember the solution.

There was no Athlon 64x2 3.1GHz. Can I assume you are talking about the Athlon IIx2 255 clocked at 3.1GHz?

You do say you have an E-machines OEM computer. It is possible that the CPU is not compatible, even with a bios update. Can I assume that this date: "5/23/08" represents the date the latest bios update was created?

Have you tried undervolting the CPU to see if you can get the voltage in CPU-z to read 1.35V? If you do, don't forget to test for stability just in case CPU-Z is wrong though.

lol I think all of us here know what VDC and CPU mean :p [/quotemsg

yes if i under volt it to 1.1v it wont boot but if i bump it up a little just so it will boot and after os win 7 64 bit is running and cpu-z still shows 1.472 to 1.488 idle is around 95 to 100 f but if i run windows live dvd maker it runs cpu at 80 to 100%
amd althlon x2 6000+ 3.1 ghz and yes 5/23/08 is the latest bios update from

Unofficial eMachines Tech Info eMachineUpgraders Forum

Links
CPU
Jumpers
End User's Upgrades
Downloads

Models
H5270
T3626
T5248
T5254
W5243

ECS MCP61SM-GM Mainboard

Documented General Info:
Processor
• Socket AM2 (940) with AMD Athlon 64 FX/ Athlon 64/ Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core/ Sempron processor
• High-performance Hyper Transport CPU interface.
• Support transfer rate of 2000/1600/1200/800/400 mega-transfers per second.

Chipset
• NVIDIA MCP61S

Memory
• Two 240-pin DDR2 800/667/533 MHz SDRAM slots
• Support up to 2 GB system memory
• Dual-channel DDR2 memory architecture

Audio
• Integrated Realtek ALC883 (5.1 channel HD Audio)

Video
• NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 nForce 405

Onboard I/O Connectors
• PS/2 keyboard port
• PS/2 mouse port
• VGA port
• Four USB 2.0 ports
• One parallel port
• One serial port
• One RJ-45 LAN port
• Three audio jacks

Expansion Options
• One PCI Express ×16 (runs in x8 mode)
• One PCI-E ×1
• Two PCI Conventional

Internal Header
• Two 2-port USB 2.0 headers (2 × 5)
· One Front panel audio header (mic / headphone)
· One front panel header (2 × 5 supports power LED, power switch, hard drive LED, and reset switch)
· One Floppy disk drive connector
· One Primary IDE connector
· Two Serial ATA II connectors (3 GB/s)
· One Clear CMOS jumper
· One Main Power Connector 24-pin (2 × 12)
· One 12V CPU power connector 4-pin
· One 4-pin CPU fan connector
· One 3-pin system fan connector
· One 3-pin power fan connector

Storage
• Two Serial ATA II connectors (3 GB/s)
• One Primary IDE connector
• Floppy disk drive

Onboard LAN
• Integrated Broadcom AC131 10/100 Lan Phy

Form Factor
• mATX 244 × 220 × 1.6 mm
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
March 15, 2011 8:08:03 PM

jam415 said:
2265524,4,511008 said:
yes if i under volt it to 1.1v it wont boot but if i bump it up a little just so it will boot and after os win 7 64 bit is running and cpu-z still shows 1.472 to 1.488 idle is around 95 to 100 f but if i run windows live dvd maker it runs cpu at 80 to 100%
amd althlon x2 6000+ 3.1 ghz and yes 5/23/08 is the latest bios update from
said:

CPU-z is not showing the correct voltage. Your voltage is being set properly in the bios since you cannot boot when you undervolt too much but when you do undervolt enough to boot, CPU-z reads the identical temperature (1.488V). Also, That CPU is a 3.0GHz part not a 3.1GHz part so it is interesting that you are at 3.1GHz.

I have no clue why you copied out the entire advertising information for your motherboard lol. I was just trying to confirm you have an OEM computer. That means you bought it in a store already built. Brands like emachines are the vendors that pre-build them for you.

So you do say it is overheating. What temperatures are you getting exactly?
m
l
March 16, 2011 3:00:55 AM

2265963,6,511008 said:
CPU-z is not showing the correct voltage. Your voltage is being set properly in the bios since you cannot boot when you undervolt too much but when you do undervolt enough to boot, CPU-z reads the identical temperature (1.488V). Also, That CPU is a 3.0GHz part not a 3.1GHz part so it is interesting that you are at 3.1GHz.

I have no clue why you copied out the entire advertising information for your motherboard lol. I was just trying to confirm you have an OEM computer. That means you bought it in a store already built. Brands like emachines are the vendors that pre-build them for you.

So you do say it is overheating. What temperatures are you getting exactly?[/quotem

in high perfomance at idle its around 97ish f and at 100% load its 150 . i tried to make a movie with windows live movie maker witch keeps cpu at 80 to 100% for a while it was staying around 146 to 150 and in the bios at 149 f is temp warning buzzer and cpu-z shows at the same time shows 149f . and the cpu check geeks.com or google, amd athlon x2 6000+3.1 part# ADV6000IAA5DO 89 watt its sold for like $ 70 that what i paid from geeks.com
and the advertising is from emachine upgraders thats where i downloaded the bios flash it shows the model# w5243.
.. it just seams that the os is changing the volt for some reason i had cpu-z befor i upgraded the cpu and it showed the same volts as the bios with the old cpu witch was 1.36v cpu-z showed 1.36v
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
March 16, 2011 10:24:44 AM

Temps are typically said in *C, which is why I apologize if you have to convert all my next numbers :p 

65*C load that you measured is very hot but not deathly. You should not see a performance drop from it. That said, I wouldn't be wanting to run it that often. 36*C idle that you measured is normal. Warmer than what I think typical but then again, I live in Canada.

Do you live in a hot environment? Are you using the heatsink that came with the 6000+? Did you install it yourself?

it just seams that the os is changing the volt for some reason
No it's not. As I have said, CPU-z is not getting the proper readings. My theory is based on your experimentations with changing the voltage.
m
l
March 17, 2011 12:17:07 AM

enzo matrix said:
Temps are typically said in *C, which is why I apologize if you have to convert all my next numbers :p 

65*C load that you measured is very hot but not deathly. You should not see a performance drop from it. That said, I wouldn't be wanting to run it that often. 36*C idle that you measured is normal. Warmer than what I think typical but then again, I live in Canada.

Do you live in a hot environment? Are you using the heatsink that came with the 6000+? Did you install it yourself?

it just seams that the os is changing the volt for some reason
No it's not. As I have said, CPU-z is not getting the proper readings. My theory is based on your experimentations with changing the voltage.

yes i installed the heat sink and cpu my self . i live 45 min from detroit michigan and keep my house around 70 f and if i put the computer in power save mode cpu-z changes volts with cpu useage but i tried core temp program and its says the same as cpu-z so i had a small squirl cage fan and driled a hole in the computer case so it blowes air on the cpu fan and its been staying a lot cooler so i think i might buy a better heat sink and better compound, but i dont know what's going on with the cpu volts i have three programs and all are showing the same things in voltage compaired to whats set in the bios witch is 1.37vdc .. i called a computer shop in town and they want $80 to run some filmware? that supose to fix the problem? and if they cant fix it i get back $40. so i talk to the tech at the same computer shop and he said that windows is adjusting the power so i ask then why do put power adjustment in the bios if the os is going to change it any way i got no good answer why ???????
m
l
!