Opinions on New Build?

alexonfyre

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I probably should have asked this before pulling the trigger on my build, but there were a few deals that I had to act quickly to get. If there are any very worth it changes I could make, let me know, I did most of my shopping through Amazon with one purchase through eBay.

Case: Corsair 800D
CPU: i7-950
GPU: PNY VCGGTX580XPB GeForce GTX 580
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth x58
PSU: Corsair 850HX Modular
RAM: 6GB Tri-Channel Corsair Dominator DDR31600
System Storage: Intel 80GB X25M SATA II
Mass Storage: External 1.5 TB Seagate Free Agent eSATA
Optical Drive: Samsung Internal Half Height DVD-W Supermulti SATA 22X Lightscribe
Misc: Logitech Desktop Microphone
Syba SD-SA2PEX-2E PCIe 2x e-SATA (Probably will return, didn't realize the Sabertooth has two ports already)
6 outlet power strip

Final Price (inc. Shipping): $1957.60
Price after rebates (and return): $1910.60

Any input would be appreciated!

What would the chances be of skipping the SSD (saving hundreds, albeit at the expense having to wait 25 sec for a game level to load instead of 20 sec with SSD!), and getting a pair of SLI'd 570s, or even 460s?

(This assumes high res gaming at 1080P is a goal, given the graphics card choice....)

alexonfyre

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
460s were my original build, but a year from now I would rather buy a single 580 instead of replacing the whole system, and it only costed 60 dollars more to go the 580 route, so I chose that.

As for the SSD, I play a lot of MMOs, and HDD response rates have a much more profound impact there. I considered not doing it, but I had some extra money in my budget and I felt like it was worth the investment. If everyone thinks it is a bad idea though, I might reconsider.

Aacademic i guess if u had bought parts but for strictly gaming i would have gone HD6850CF

HD6850 CrossFire PK GTX580/HD5970
http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=7938&pageid=7671

Tower $616AR
Untitled-1866.jpg

2nd HD6850 $180
$796AR

alexonfyre

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

alexonfyre

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

I guess my question is, this time next year, will that set up still be top of the line?

My reasoning at the time was, and I could be wrong, that the flagship cards for each company have much better longevity than lower Enthusiast cards. For instance, I know a bunch of guys who are just now (last 6 months) feeling the pressure to update their SLi 9800 GTXs, and some that are still going strong with GTX 295s/285s, while there are guys with GTX 260s that were already upgrading when the 400s came around. (I don't know a whole lot of red team guys any more, looking at the 5970 vs the 6970, it seems to be the same deal. The 6990 will replace it on top, but that card looks to stay good for years.)

If I am really making a bad decision though, I will reconsider, I could probably still sell the thing to someone else.

My reasoning at the time was, and I could be wrong, that the flagship cards for each company have much better longevity than lower Enthusiast cards.

Not really peeps who paid a fortune for 8800 Ultra would know what i mean :p Never know what game makers have up their sleeves - a monster game would render current top end GPUs rubbish so as always : buy as per needs

If I am really making a bad decision though, I will reconsider, I could probably still sell the thing to someone else.

As said largely depends on what u mainly use the machine for ^^

alexonfyre

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

Gaming, right now (Civ V, FFXIV, The Witcher, Fallout), and Home Media Server are the main functions, but I am extremely ADD with my computer use, this month I may be trying to learn photoshop, next month I might be making a web series, the next I could be translating and encoding anime or maybe trying to create a linux kernel. So when I say general use, I really mean General Use