GTX 470 issues: BSOD, nvlddmkm.sys

JinxTM

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Hey everyone, hope you guys are having a good Friday. :bounce:

So this is the first time I ever built my own rig and things went pretty smoothly with the hardware installation, I had a veteran PC building friend help me out to make sure that everything was seated and cabled properly. I installed Win7 Home Edition (OEM) pretty smoothly as well.

So this is where things started to get weird. Upon turning on the PC for the first time I immediately notices red spots/dots speckled all over the black and white start up screens you get as well as the windows start up screen and on my desktop (the go away and move around when I mouse over them). At first I thought it might not be a big deal and will clear up once I get all the video drivers and etc installed. I was so very wrong.

Basically from that point on I set up my Win7 stuff and decide to install the video card drivers and immediately problems occur. Upon installing the new drivers and restarting, my computer BSOD’ed on me. I couldn’t catch the entire error but these were the 2 things I got from it. The error was related to nvlddmkm.sys and the other piece I caught was 0x00000116 (after a quick Google search it was linked to possible faulty video card RAM). Also side note: Aside from BSODing sometimes the PC will turn on and just hang at a black screen and a few times I got a white screen with scrambled colors on it.

After this occurred I thought it might have been some kinda error on my part so I reformatted and tried it all over again and the same thing occurred. The only way out of this BSOD was to log in in safe mode and delete that .sys file or add a .old at the end of it. I really tried everything I could, I tried using the driver discs, the drivers on the website, reformatting, safemode, I tried reseating the video card and trying the other slots as well as checking to make sure that everything is properly connected… The other noteworthy thing I noticed was in device manager there was a yellow ! near the video card and it said something along the lines of the drivers are corrupted or missing and then it said (code 39).

For now I think Im going to get the card swapped out at newegg. I did countless google searches and some forum searches and it seems that those people that have this issue really didn’t have a resolution (PLEASE point me to one, if I’m wrong about this). I called EVGA and the guy just sounded like he wanted me to get of the phone faster and really didn’t have an answer.

I guess my concern is this happening again with a new 470. Seems like this driver issue is something that’s been around for a bit with vista and win7.

I also want to rule out any other problem it might be. Could it be any other hardware parts causing this?
P.S. Unfortunately since this is my first self built rig, I don’t have another video card to test out in the system

This is basically whats in my system: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19541648

Thanks for the help! :sweat:

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Dots, lines, pixels etcare related to an overheating/faulty GPU. Nothing sadly can be done about this, although there are some theorys with regarding putting it in the oven.. Never tried it myself, or have ever had the temptation..

The BSOD is related to drivers of any kind, Windows, Graphics, etc...

The best thing to do is RMA it and get an exchange.. Technology isnt faultless, i had 2 Palit Cards go faulty on me, (Fan Fins Broke).. Only the other month my 8800GT lew up, hense why i have a new system..

RMA it mate.. :(

JinxTM

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

I really thought the same. Most likely faulty because when I was checking the temps they were stable. Just needed some reassurance that it's not any other part that's likely to be failing. Most likely will wind up RMAing and maybe borrowing a friends extra vid. card to test out the rest of my rig.